Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from work one day this week and found out that the one day I drove my Solstice to work, somebody marked it up in the parking lot. My wife got home and came in and asked who drew a smiley face on the trunk lid...also found two deep scratches down the passenger side that weren't there before...yes, I said smiley face. A big circle, two eyes with several circles to make each eye, a nose and a mouth. Almost looks like a kid did it, but no kids around where I work.

Luckily I was able to buff most of it out, but it is still visible at an angle on a sunny day.

I hate car envy! Why someone would feel the need to do this to someone else's property is beyond me.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
As a kid I did some stupid stuff but I never understood what "fun" was to be had by just mindlessly destroying property.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
158 Posts
No two places are the same, but I'd check with your building security office or at least let the property manager know about the problem. Security cameras are like DVRs - price is going down all the time. Might post some notices and see if anyone noticed it. It's not impossible to get away with this in broad daylight, but if you don't ask you'll never know if someone DID see who did it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No two places are the same, but I'd check with your building security office or at least let the property manager know about the problem. Security cameras are like DVRs - price is going down all the time. Might post some notices and see if anyone noticed it. It's not impossible to get away with this in broad daylight, but if you don't ask you'll never know if someone DID see who did it.
Good idea, already done. I now park where a camera can see my car...was in a blind spot to cameras. I work at a hospital and it was in the employee lot that the public has access to also. Looking into it, a few other nice cars have been vandalized in other parking lots recently...security seems to think it is a homeless person who hangs out nearby. Can't ever catch him at it though...

If I drive Little Red (my daughter's name for the car) to work, it is now parked right by a door and in direct view of the cameras.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,484 Posts
When I owned my Lotus Elise someone keyed the drivers side of the car. right down into the fiberglass. Pissed me off so much. I did a lot of work with body shops and one of them did the repair for the cost of materials at the time. I broke the car down and reassembled it. The total for the paint was 400.00, and another 100.00 for seals that when removed they need to get replaced.

I still pissed me off so much when it happened. I was flipping pissed. I did not know this at the time, damage like that falls under comprehensive insurance and a claim to comprehensive does not make your insurance go up and does not show up in the Lexis Nexis insurance database because it is not an accident claim. Act of god and vandalism/theft is comprehensive.

If you have comprehensive you may want to look into it.

Reactions: G-Ram

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Unless there is security footage showing the people while they are doing it and you are able to clearly identify the people from that footage it is going to be pointless for you to invest any time into locating the people. Most security cameras even high definition ones you will not be able to identify a person from them when they are used to monitor a parking lot. It would have to be a PTZ camera and they would have to be zoomed in on, this would mean that someone was watching while the deed was being done and that person did nothing when it happened!!!!..

If someone saw it you would have been told and the police would have been called. If you had the car parked < 50 feet from a security camera then check the videos. Even if the bastards are caught you still have a damaged vehicle and it's not like they are going to simply hand you the thousands to get the car repainted. So you are still going to have a damaged car in the end. You might get satisfaction from knowing they got into trouble for it, chances are they wouldn't do any jail time and would only end up on probation. It is almost not even worth the aggravation and time spent. I would defiantly let the place you work at know that it happened.

This is a gray area and would probably cause issues at your work place, but if you don't care about the job or have a want to change where you work.. If where you work has security cameras that monitor the parking areas they are responsible for your safety and also responsible for your property as well. You could get your employer or their insurance company to pay for the repair. It may cause tension in the work place tho. If it is a smallish/er company and you can actually speak with the owner, you should let him/her know directly, if you have worked there a long time and are a valued employee they might offer to take care of the repairs. It can and has happened before and would be worth a shot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless there is security footage showing the people while they are doing it and you are able to clearly identify the people from that footage it is going to be pointless for you to invest any time into locating the people. Most security cameras even high definition ones you will not be able to identify a person from them when they are used to monitor a parking lot. It would have to be a PTZ camera and they would have to be zoomed in on, this would mean that someone was watching while the deed was being done and that person did nothing when it happened!!!!..

If someone saw it you would have been told and the police would have been called. If you had the car parked < 50 feet from a security camera then check the videos. Even if the bastards are caught you still have a damaged vehicle and it's not like they are going to simply hand you the thousands to get the car repainted. So you are still going to have a damaged car in the end. You might get satisfaction from knowing they got into trouble for it, chances are they wouldn't do any jail time and would only end up on probation. It is almost not even worth the aggravation and time spent. I would defiantly let the place you work at know that it happened.

This is a gray area and would probably cause issues at your work place, but if you don't care about the job or have a want to change where you work.. If where you work has security cameras that monitor the parking areas they are responsible for your safety and also responsible for your property as well. You could get your employer or their insurance company to pay for the repair. It may cause tension in the work place tho. If it is a smallish/er company and you can actually speak with the owner, you should let him/her know directly, if you have worked there a long time and are a valued employee they might offer to take care of the repairs. It can and has happened before and would be worth a shot.
I was parked in a dead zone for cameras and it was an employee parking lot with 12 hour shifts...very doubtful there were any witnesses. No recourse on my end and the damage is not enough to warrant a respray, just the fact that it happened pisses a body off!!!! Security thinks it is one of the homeless persons in the area. Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Happened to my previous baby. 1985 Corvette. Both sides keyed. Got a brand new $3000 paint job ( 2003 was the year i think.). Had the body shop connected to the dealership do it. Paid $500 of it and Insurance covered the rest with no premium increase.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happened to my previous baby. 1985 Corvette. Both sides keyed. Got a brand new $3000 paint job ( 2003 was the year i think.). Had the body shop connected to the dealership do it. Paid $500 of it and Insurance covered the rest with no premium increase.
Buying a new buffer this weekend and hope to get the worst of it taken care of...doesn't appear to be too deep, just pisses me off that someone does this to nice cars, most likely because they don't have one.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
it is going to be pointless for you to invest any time into locating the people.
Who was it who said, "All that's necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing"? Despite the OP's comment to the contrary, it's possible that someone saw someone near his car at the critical time. But OMG, at the very least, it may sensitize other people at the hospital to keep their eyes open and not do nothing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who was it who said, "All that's necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing"? Despite the OP's comment to the contrary, it's possible that someone saw someone near his car at the critical time. But OMG, at the very least, it may sensitize other people at the hospital to keep their eyes open and not do nothing.
Trust me, a stink has been raised and just about everyone who works there knows about it. Unless someone was looking out a window from the upper floors, I sincerely doubt anyone saw this. I am pursuing this to the nth degree, even if I don't find out who hit me up, hopefully it will deter future events. A doctor's 2020 Jag got hit as well that same day...he got deep scratches down both sides of his car...looks like maybe a flathead screwdriver. Seems we have a serial scratcher

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
@G-Ram

If you want the best chances of getting the scratches out I am going to recommend a buffing kit. It includes the buffer, a couple of different "grits" of pads and the cutter/polish. This is a dual pad buffer and each pad moves in a random pattern. It is really hard to "burn" the paint with it. You can however sand through the paint because a cutter/compound and also the pads are mildly abrasive. It would take a while to sand through the paint tho.

You use the yellow pads with the coarse cutter, the green pads with the medium cutter, the green pads with the fine cutter and the white with the fine cutter. then you wax. they do sell wool pads for buffing the wax and also brushes for cleaning carpet.

It's not the cheapest nor is it the most expensive. I live by this saying, buy it once.. buy it right.. have it for life. It is a high quality buffer made for commercial use. I used one of these day in and day out for 3 years and it never broke or had any issue. That is more use then you would probably ever give it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
@granliday

You would hope that if a person saw it they would have at the very least told someone about it. In the end even if the people are caught and arrested it doesn't fix the car. That is what makes it a really crap situation. The question then becomes is it even worth the additional aggravation and time spent....

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
To me, it comes under the heading of helping people who aren't there to help themselves. Like calling the cops when you see a purse snatch. You may not catch the person if you DO call, but no doubt about what happens if you DON'T call.

To each his own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@G-Ram

If you want the best chances of getting the scratches out I am going to recommend a buffing kit. It includes the buffer, a couple of different "grits" of pads and the cutter/polish. This is a dual pad buffer and each pad moves in a random pattern. It is really hard to "burn" the paint with it. You can however sand through the paint because a cutter/compound and also the pads are mildly abrasive. It would take a while to sand through the paint tho.

You use the yellow pads with the coarse cutter, the green pads with the medium cutter, the green pads with the fine cutter and the white with the fine cutter. then you wax. they do sell wool pads for buffing the wax and also brushes for cleaning carpet.

It's not the cheapest nor is it the most expensive. I live by this saying, buy it once.. buy it right.. have it for life. It is a high quality buffer made for commercial use. I used one of these day in and day out for 3 years and it never broke or had any issue. That is more use then you would probably ever give it.
@kgschlosser , Our family motto is "we're too broke to buy cheap." Buying a new buffer this weekend because the motor burned out in my old one (15 years) last month when cleaning up my daughter's car. I think I can just replace the brushes on the motor, but a decent new one is about just as expensive as the brushes. Thanks for the advice though. I usually use a cleaner polish more than a cutter/compound if not too deep of a scratch, but I think this will entail using the heavier stuff, especially on the scratches on the side. I'm an addict and think I have about 30 bottles of this stuff.

still just sick over the whole thing though...25 years of mini-vans and busted up SUVs. Save 2 years for Little Red and the first day I drive it to work this crap happens.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
@kgschlosser , Our family motto is "we're too broke to buy cheap." Buying a new buffer this weekend because the motor burned out in my old one (15 years) last month when cleaning up my daughter's car. I think I can just replace the brushes on the motor, but a decent new one is about just as expensive as the brushes. Thanks for the advice though. I usually use a cleaner polish more than a cutter/compound if not too deep of a scratch, but I think this will entail using the heavier stuff, especially on the scratches on the side. I'm an addict and think I have about 30 bottles of this stuff.

still just sick over the whole thing though...25 years of mini-vans and busted up SUVs. Save 2 years for Little Red and the first day I drive it to work this crap happens.
There's a great facebook page for detailing/wheeling out cars. I highly recommend it. I've learned so much, and thought I knew just about everything there was to wheeling out a car. Here is the link: Apex Detail Support Group The guy is a youtube guy as well....

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Oh man the first time taking it to work and having that happen really sucks. I guess this might also be the last time it goes to work with ya. I feel ya about driving clunkers and saving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh man the first time taking it to work and having that happen really sucks. I guess this might also be the last time it goes to work with ya. I feel ya about driving clunkers and saving.
2003 Jeep Liberty with 208k, 2008 Ford Edge with 197k, 2007 Honda Odyssey with 218k. 2004 Saturn Vue with 297k before it was totaled in a wreck my son had. All run like new, but all have the squeaks of old cars. It's my calling card.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have a 2010 Lincoln MKS 180,000 miles 2008 Pontiac Solstice 57,000 miles and a 1993 Subaru outback with 290,000 miles.

My wife about 3 weeks ago rear ended someone in the Subaru. It's totaled. My plan was to get a newer Lincoln SUV this summer. That went down the drain because I am sure our insurance is going to skyrocket. So the Lincoln is going to have to last another 3 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want the best chances of getting the scratches out I am going to recommend a buffing kit. It includes the buffer, a couple of different "grits" of pads and the cutter/polish. This is a dual pad buffer and each pad moves in a random pattern. It is really hard to "burn" the paint with it. You can however sand through the paint because a cutter/compound and also the pads are mildly abrasive. It would take a while to sand through the paint though.

This kit can also be used to refurbish old fogged up plastic headlights?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts