Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unless there is security footage showing the people while they are doing it and you are able to clearly identify the people from that footage it is going to be pointless for you to invest any time into locating the people. Most security cameras even high definition ones you will not be able to identify a person from them when they are used to monitor a parking lot. It would have to be a PTZ camera and they would have to be zoomed in on, this would mean that someone was watching while the deed was being done and that person did nothing when it happened!!!!..

If someone saw it you would have been told and the police would have been called. If you had the car parked < 50 feet from a security camera then check the videos. Even if the bastards are caught you still have a damaged vehicle and it's not like they are going to simply hand you the thousands to get the car repainted. So you are still going to have a damaged car in the end. You might get satisfaction from knowing they got into trouble for it, chances are they wouldn't do any jail time and would only end up on probation. It is almost not even worth the aggravation and time spent. I would defiantly let the place you work at know that it happened.

This is a gray area and would probably cause issues at your work place, but if you don't care about the job or have a want to change where you work.. If where you work has security cameras that monitor the parking areas they are responsible for your safety and also responsible for your property as well. You could get your employer or their insurance company to pay for the repair. It may cause tension in the work place tho. If it is a smallish/er company and you can actually speak with the owner, you should let him/her know directly, if you have worked there a long time and are a valued employee they might offer to take care of the repairs. It can and has happened before and would be worth a shot.

Well, it may not be "pointless" to find out who did it. "Proving" who did it by looking at footage and "knowing" who did it could be two different things. Proving it would be necessary for a court of law. Knowing would be necessary to make sure they didn't choose to do it again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a 2010 Lincoln MKS 180,000 miles 2008 Pontiac Solstice 57,000 miles and a 1993 Subaru outback with 290,000 miles.

My wife about 3 weeks ago rear ended someone in the Subaru. It's totaled. My plan was to get a newer Lincoln SUV this summer. That went down the drain because I am sure our insurance is going to skyrocket. So the Lincoln is going to have to last another 3 years.
The loss of a Subaru is always tragic, if taken care of they'll run 4ever! The Saturn had a Honda 3.5 V6 in it...bought the car with 111k, only thing I ever did to the engine besides normal maintenance was a new starter. Rebuilt the A/C twice and a timing belt, but nothing else. We were hoping for 300k since it was my son's college car, but it was not to be. He now drives the Jeep which he loves. Got that off a friend for $1 as they were going to scrap it instead of fix/sell it. Needed about $2,500 in work to get it safe for my kids to drive, but still kicking after 4 years and about 40k miles. As with any Jeep, had to put a new rear main seal in it this past summer, but it has been worth every penny!

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
Best thing for that is good ol fashion elbow grease and a bunch of fine grit sand paper. The reason why you need to use sand paper is there is a coating on the plastic that needs to get sanded off. This coating is what gets hazy over time. Th coating is extremely hard so a lower grit is needed in order to get it off.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
The problem with Subaru vehicles is that the engine may run forever, the rest of the car falls apart around it. And only the old ones from the late 80's early 90's will run like that. The ones built today are not as good as those older ones.

Reactions: G-Ram

·
Registered
121 Posts
Got home from work one day this week and found out that the one day I drove my Solstice to work, somebody marked it up in the parking lot. My wife got home and came in and asked who drew a smiley face on the trunk lid...also found two deep scratches down the passenger side that weren't there before...yes, I said smiley face. A big circle, two eyes with several circles to make each eye, a nose and a mouth. Almost looks like a kid did it, but no kids around where I work.

Luckily I was able to buff most of it out, but it is still visible at an angle on a sunny day.

I hate car envy! Why someone would feel the need to do this to someone else's property is beyond me.
I'm so sorry that happened to you :( that must feel like such an invasion of privacy. Nothing frustrates me more than someone disrespecting someone's property that they worked hard for. Jealousy makes people nasty.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts