Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my coupe to a GM only show sponsored by a local Corvette Club (Not my club) at the local Chevy dealership last weekend. I wasn't going since it was raining that AM, but the forecast was clear by mid morning so I ventured out in the rain with towels and detail supplies to get it show ready after the rain.

Lots of intrest in the coupe from the attendees and I was planning on a nice Top 40 trophy, since nothing there compared to the Coupe. Damn I only got a participant plaque. All my friends with Vettes got top 40 trophys. Next time I go to a Corvette Club show I'll be leaving the Solstice Coupe at home.

It must have been a math error in scoring. Come on, a rare Solstice Coupe with 1330 miles in virtually new condition didn't even get a top 40 trophy. Even a couple of old crummy Chevy pickups got trophys. :(

LJ

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Well the first mistake was that it was a corvette show, if there had been 39 vettes you can bet that everyone of them was getting a trophy and there would be one getting two lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the first mistake was that it was a corvette show, if there had been 39 vettes you can bet that everyone of them was getting a trophy and there would be one getting two lol
But my solstice has a Corvette Club sticker on the window and I was next to some of our members. And I even had my Corvette straw hat on.

I just don't get it. :brentil:
LJ

·
Registered
164 Posts
We have a Corvette club here that put on an open car show every year in July. The club members show but don't enter their cars in the judging and "beast" won a top 50 for three years in a row, 2008, 2009, and 2010. I didn't enter last year or this year because it was too damn hot. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
We took the Kappa's to the Inland Northwest All Pontiac car show this past weekend.
They had various divisions, i.e. 64-67 GTO, 68-70's GTOs, Fullsize, Open Pontiac class, Firebird's/TA's, Fiero's, Late Model... and a general Open Class.
We entered the Sky in the general Open Class and the Coupe in the Late Models.
To our surprise and delight we were chosen as "First Place" in the Late Model Pontiac division.
Had never done a brand specific show before and didn't know what to expect. So we were thrilled to win any kind of trophy. Nice to know there are some folks out there that can appreciate the uniqueness & rarity of the Coupe!
Good Luck next time Larry!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We took the Kappa's to the Inland Northwest All Pontiac car show this past weekend.
They had various divisions, i.e. 64-67 GTO, 68-70's GTOs, Fullsize, Open Pontiac class, Firebird's/TA's, Fiero's, Late Model... and a general Open Class.
We entered the Sky in the general Open Class and the Coupe in the Late Models.
To our surprise and delight we were chosen as "First Place" in the Late Model Pontiac division.
Had never done a brand specific show before and didn't know what to expect. So we were thrilled to win any kind of trophy. Nice to know there are some folks out there that can appreciate the uniqueness & rarity of the Coupe!
Good Luck next time Larry!
LJ

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do give up, I won first place over the weekend as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Norm

Hello Scott that looks damn good. Thanks Norm
Thanks norm, could not have done it with out norms fiberglass. Do you know that guy. Here that he is working on a secret project. some call is the SR 71 Blackhawk... or at least it looks as cool. I left you a phone message, can you install one of my new sponsors part for me?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I gotta believe the only reason Chevy did not pick up the Kappa after 2009 was someone in the organization was afraid that it would upset the Corvette guys. I agree that you will never get a Corvette Club wanting to acknowledge the Solstice with a trophy of any kind. It intimidates with its beauty, performance and value.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I took my coupe to a GM only show sponsored by a local Corvette Club (Not my club) at the local Chevy dealership last weekend. I wasn't going since it was raining that AM, but the forecast was clear by mid morning so I ventured out in the rain with towels and detail supplies to get it show ready after the rain.

Lots of intrest in the coupe from the attendees and I was planning on a nice Top 40 trophy, since nothing there compared to the Coupe. Damn I only got a participant plaque. All my friends with Vettes got top 40 trophys. Next time I go to a Corvette Club show I'll be leaving the Solstice Coupe at home.

It must have been a math error in scoring. Come on, a rare Solstice Coupe with 1330 miles in virtually new condition didn't even get a top 40 trophy. Even a couple of old crummy Chevy pickups got trophys. :(

LJ
You'll find that all of these shows sponsored by clubs are very "inbred". That is to say, they usually consider their own members cars above anyone elses. I've been to a few sponsored by the south Jersey club and they always get their members the most trophy's. Last year at ATCO, their were 3 or 4 Can Am's in competition. One was owned by a club member who owns many cars but most of them are of average to below average condition. There was one excellent, low mileage Can Am, superior to his in every way but guess who got the trophy. I gave up paying the 10 or 20 bucks to register a long time ago for that reason. Just go to enjoy talking to those who have never seen a coupe and enjoy the finer examples of the other cars present.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We also attended a Corvette Club Sponsored show this summer. totally judged by the participants.Club members cars were shown but were judged seperate. we own coupe #206. We were in the "2000" to preseent class. Lots of new hot stuff. Camaros, Mustang G.T. etc. They awarded 3 places in each class, in random order. No one knew who was 1st to 3rd.we placed with a 2008 viper, 2010 Camaro SS and us. best of show was a tricked out 57 chevy. I will attend next year not because I won something, just because it was a nice way. to run the show.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I gotta believe the only reason Chevy did not pick up the Kappa after 2009 was someone in the organization was afraid that it would upset the Corvette guys. I agree that you will never get a Corvette Club wanting to acknowledge the Solstice with a trophy of any kind. It intimidates with its beauty, performance and value.
An article I found the other night actually mentioned Delorean expressing interest in buying the GM Delaware plant and rights to the solstice back in '09 (at least the coupe, the article was about the coupe). The discussions obviously didn't bear fruit, perhaps a good thing?

You'll find that all of these shows sponsored by clubs are very "inbred". That is to say, they usually consider their own members cars above anyone elses. I've been to a few sponsored by the south Jersey club and they always get their members the most trophy's. Last year at ATCO, their were 3 or 4 Can Am's in competition. One was owned by a club member who owns many cars but most of them are of average to below average condition. There was one excellent, low mileage Can Am, superior to his in every way but guess who got the trophy. I gave up paying the 10 or 20 bucks to register a long time ago for that reason. Just go to enjoy talking to those who have never seen a coupe and enjoy the finer examples of the other cars present.
totally agree. you get caught in your type of vehicle that you have spent tons of time, effort and money on. Many people have trouble seeing what else is out there. I mentioned the rarity of our car to a neighbor, along with the other facts around it (Gas direct injection, sequential vin, last pontiac produced, HP/CI), and basically it was back to the article about the coupe being no. 5 on the top 10 most beautiful cars list for '09. They merely said "I don't like the looks of Vettes much, this is much nicer". ......course I do have to agree with many writeups about the interior plastics, but that's another story.:thumbs:

Just as an FYI since we're talking Corvette club show, I'm sure everyone is aware that for '09 the ZR1 vette had a production run of 1400, at least those are the stats I found.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts