Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wonder if there will be any problem going thru car wahes. will they be too tough on the top.
fred from nashville

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I wouldn't run a convertible through a car wash, in fact you should be able to wash and dry a Sol by hand in 15 minutes - 30 if the wheels are real dirty.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The owner's manual for the two previous convertibles I've owned strongly recommended hand washes only. Besides, this beautiful body needs to be carefully and personally caressed on a regular basis. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
I would be very hesitant to take a Solstice through a car wash unless it is a touchless car wash.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Fred from Nashville, I think you need to sell me your car...someone who will provide the pampering this car deserves!

·
Registered
710 Posts
You should handwash any car that you care about...unless you like to get a free wet-sanding with each car wash you go through. :)

mrfredsporty said:
i wonder if there will be any problem going thru car wahes. will they be too tough on the top.
fred from nashville

·
Registered
288 Posts
I took my Sol throught a touchless car wash recently. I won't be doing that again. The high pressure water just finds crazy ways to get into the car. I had one stream shoot behind me and across the silver part of the butresses.

Plus, when I went through the part with the dryer blowers I thought it was going to blow the top off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
fred from nashville
I cannot beleive anyone would even think to put this car through a car wash. I agree this is not a person to own this car, any convertable, Vette, classic ar.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You guys are killing me!

Use Zaino, take the time to do the wax job right the first time, then every wash after takes maybe 15 minutes and you don't even have to put the top up...I know, I used to take me 15 minutes on a Saturday morning to wash my Z3.

To help speed the drying process, buy a gel like squeechie and your car is dried in seconds.

B

·
0 Posts
Primus said:
I took my Sol throught a touchless car wash recently. I won't be doing that again. The high pressure water just finds crazy ways to get into the car. I had one stream shoot behind me and across the silver part of the butresses.

Plus, when I went through the part with the dryer blowers I thought it was going to blow the top off.
Well that seals it, we shouldn't even take them through Touchless car washes. Sorry that you had to be the guinea pig

·
Registered
767 Posts
How many of you will be washing his Sol by hand in 35 degree weather? Not me. I will use the do-it-yourself stall at the carwash to get the dirt off in the winter. Makes more sense than leaving the dirt on or freezing your butt off washing it in your driveway. I will be driving it all year round, but hopefully the wax job will keep the dirt from sticking too hard.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Umm, I'll be hand washing mine year-around! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cooler King said:
The owner's manual for the two previous convertibles I've owned strongly recommended hand washes only. Besides, this beautiful body needs to be carefully and personally caressed on a regular basis. ;)
:agree:

Don't be lazy. A beautiful car deserves loving attention.

·
Registered
288 Posts
BadAzSolstice said:
Well that seals it, we shouldn't even take them through Touchless car washes. Sorry that you had to be the guinea pig
Somebody had to do it. I figured I would give it a shot once, and see how it goes. Don't think I'll be doing that any more.

On a side note, it *did* look really good when it came out of the car wash. Just had to wipe off the area behind the seat a little.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Primus said:

Same thing in my Vette. Mine will be hand washed.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I wouldn't do a touchless car wash with a convertible - wow, talk about feeling like you are in a WWII U-boat that's been hit by a depth charge... :lol:

Soap tastes like what I imagine S#!T tastes like :glol:

I will do the normal drive through car was about once or twice a week (I know, SACRILEGE!!!, but I've done it for all of my cars. My late 90's cavalier with 140,000 miles on it looks great.

If you have a power antenna, REMEMBER TO PUT IT DOWN!!!! EVEN IF YOU ARE LISTENING TO A CD!!!! :lol:

Every once in a while, I use a pressure washer on the wheels and the wheel wells.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do it yourself car wash or buy a power washer have had a few rag tops and a touchless is almost wosre than a regular car wash as the increase pressure and dry cycle will just raise hell with the stitching in your roof after it has had some time to weather a little. Don't like do it yourself wash as many recyle the water but if its cold out does the job.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have washed mine three times already. I pop the buttresses and lay a sheet that I have cut out over the top, to keep water off the top. I waxed after the second wash. I hand wash with the three buckets of water system - when time to rinse I use a Autodry and pop the hood and trunk, does a great job. Never run a rag top through any car wash!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts