Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo, in an effort to relocate the AC controls I somehow apparently triggered the theft/security system. Car won't even turn over. I'm super tired and frustrated at this point but am hoping someone here will be able to help me. Is there any way to reset the security system? Already tried disconnecting the battery. No luck. :-/

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
If the car doesn't turn over, it's probably not the theft system. Look for blown fuses, bad grounds etc. Anti theft just stops the car from starting, not turning over.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the car doesn't turn over, it's probably not the theft system. Look for blown fuses, bad grounds etc. Anti theft just stops the car from starting, not turning over.
Just checked all fuses. Nothing blown. Tried to push start it but it died immediately after starting. Sigh, nothing with this car is ever straightforward or simple

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
I have triggered the anti theft. The car turns over, starts and immediately shuts off. The green padlock symbol on the dash lights stays lit. There is a reset procedure on the forum. Does not sound like the same problem

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the starter do anything when you hit the key?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Nope, starter doesn't try at all. Complete silence other than the relays clicking. We are checking all the fuses again. Maybe we overlooked something. If we can't figure it out by Monday we will pack it up to the dealership. The security light stays lit the entire time the key is in the on position. We tried the relearn but like I said that didn't work. The light never went off either.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
If I had to guess I would look at the BCM connections and fuses. The BCM stores the information for the key and hosts the security code. Ihe AC controlls same thing. It's hopefully a short or fuse there and not a fried BCM

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
To Rob's (excellent) point, be sure to check the connector BEHIND the bcm also (supply to the bcm, not just the three harnesses coming off of it.)

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Put a VOM on the battery just for kicks. If the battery is low it'll play tricks like this.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Bob and CW have excellent suggestions. When the battery voltage drops below minimum necessary for a clean boot of the car strange things can happen. This can be a result of the battery internal condition and / or the condition of the terminals. Also there have been a few instances of issues with the engine ground. Its on the front left of the motor and has caused problems for a few members in the past.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I agree with Rob. I have had the same indications with other cars over the years and it almost always turns out to be the battery.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
This may start your car-
Find 'crank' relay in fuse block and remove. One of the sockets will be 12V. On the schematic on the relay, identify the socket it connects to. That wire goes directly to starter. With key in 'run' (trans. in neutral or park, e brake on) jumper those 2 sockets (use at least #14 wire). Car should crank and run. If it does, go to where you can get codes erased and you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
What glake89 posted is only true if the battery is good of course. I would go so far as to say if you haven't yet changed the battery in the car, do it now. Believe me when I say it's cheap insurance and may well prevent you from getting stuck on the side of the road in the future.

I ended up with similar issues after sitting in my car for a half hour or so trying to resolve an issue with my aftermarket head unit. A new battery was all I needed to fix it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well we solved the issue by retuning the ECM. Car started fine two or three times. Drove it around for a little bit and then left it overnight. Woke up the next morning... Nothing. Retuned the ECM again, no go. Spent a few hours going over all the wiring, and checked all the fuses. The very last fuse on the car for me to check happened to be blown. Went to the HVAC. Replaced started up fine again. Hopefully that will be the end to this saga. Thanks everyone for all of your help.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Soup - once again I'm at work and no access to shop manuals. Does that sound right? Fuse to HVAC would cause the starter not to engage?

Re-tuning the ECM (in my mind) could reset a bit and the car could start until it detected a certain condition I suppose. Something else also on that same fuse?

I mean, it sounds squirrely, but not too squirrely, especially for all the squirreliness this car can exhibit.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Soup - once again I'm at work and no access to shop manuals. Does that sound right? Fuse to HVAC would cause the starter not to engage?
Nah. I'm pretty sure that this is a red-herring.

I'm getting more and more convinced that what you have is simply a bad battery. All the various things you've been doing to 'fix' it, are purely coincidental.

The only other thing is there's a circuit problem that's draining the battery, but that's less likely.

Change the battery!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nah. I'm pretty sure that this is a red-herring.

I'm getting more and more convinced that what you have is simply a bad battery. All the various things you've been doing to 'fix' it, are purely coincidental.

The only other thing is there's a circuit problem that's draining the battery, but that's less likely.

Change the battery!
I promise you the cause was the fuse, well the second time around anyways. If anyone wants to test it out on their own car for ****s and giggles it is fuse 10 in the BCM. Apparently that fuse also powers the BCM, at least that is what I was told. Anyway, someone with a known good battery go pull that fuse and see if it doesn't set your theft system off and prevent you from starting the car.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
flax - it's remained stable and starts reliably since? (I assume so.) That's why I wondered if the fuse also powered other circuits.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I promise you the cause was the fuse, well the second time around anyways. If anyone wants to test it out on their own car for ****s and giggles it is fuse 10 in the BCM. Apparently that fuse also powers the BCM, at least that is what I was told. Anyway, someone with a known good battery go pull that fuse and see if it doesn't set your theft system off and prevent you from starting the car.
:lol: You said HVAC fuse, so I assumed the A/C fuses under the hood! They don't do anything but HVAC.

Fuse 10 in the BCM powers the A/C controller (dash knobs) circuitry and also the PassKeyIII box in the steering column. Hence the 'theft' issue. Doesn't explain the issue of how you got it to start sometimes. You must've blown it when you messed with the controller box, but why would it start at ALL after that (until replaced)?

Be careful you don't have an errant wire from your mod that could short it out again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts