Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I messed with photoshop, and fitted a Seibon Carbon Fiber hood to the car. Sadly, Seibon put their logo all over the hood, so it kinda takes away from the purity of it, but I understand why they do it. I'm just a fan of these types of vents though, I first saw them on an M3 GTR race car, and just loved the look. Thought I'd mess with the solstice and see how it looks. It looks ok, but probably better if I could just shop it, and have it paint matched to the car. Haven't had time to mess with it though, probably will do that later this week.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm betting a CF hood could save a good bit of weight too from the front of the car due to the size of the hood. However at the same time since it mgiht be so large, it might get fiarly expensive.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Here we go again

OK flamers... ready, set, jump! LOL

I can hear the "don't mess with yada yada" coming already.

So, to start, no thanks! I'm in the "it looks stellar just as PMD made it. my ONLY change would be shaved handles to make it even smoother, not add more breakups. BUT, Y$YC

I agree that the hood would probably be VERY expensive for street purchase and weight savings on a "driver" car negligible effect. Race version, ABSOLUTELY!!

JMHOGF

·
5,600 Posts
:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
American Rice at its best.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
CF rear deck too--could paint body color; watch SEMA 2005-11-01

brentil said:
I'm betting a CF hood could save a good bit of weight too from the front of the car due to the size of the hood. However at the same time since it might be so large, it might get fairly expensive.
For racing, it might help a bit, then so too could a CF rear deck lid. My concern would be in replacing the hood with CF whether it would put the car closer to or further away from 50-50 weight distribution--hence the CF rear deck as well. But it could be closer to $2000 given the size and complexity for the hood alone, so it's a pretty expensive way to shave a few pounds... But every ounce counts!

With regard to the looks, they can be painted by any competent body shop and color matched to the original steel bonnet. So, you could have your weight savings, and still look like a factory piece.

Watch for CF parts at the November SEMA show.... :cool:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Choppy corners and no-reason vents would ruin the lines and looks of the Solstice. Way too much money to spend to impress a bunch of guys with Honda Civics.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Some aluminum suspension pieces like an aluminum K member would make much more sense. Spend your money on a light weight flywheel and use the CF for the drive shaft. Titanimum exhaust would also be a better idea.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well personally, I plan on a vented hood for a forced induction application. Those reverse type vents you see on that hood are actually functional. They Siphon the hot air out of the engine area, which would be great when mated to a custom turbo setup, or probably helpful if you cram a V-8 in there. I'd also paint my hood to match my vehicle, Like I said, that hood is just my first chop, I'm currently refining it with matching paint to fit the rest of the car. Just hold your horses, I'll have it done sometime this week ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
As was mentioned before, my main concern would be with how it affects the weight balance of the car. I wouldn't spend the money on it at all if I was just looking for the look, but if I were seriously racing the car and wanted the weight reduction, I can see it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the version with the paint matching hood. Not so ricey now eh? I think it complements the vehicle's aggressive stance, I think it harkens back to when Americans louvered their hoods on old cars to make their customs more unique, I think I'll have to somehow come up with a way to get these louvers installed when I get this car:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a mignight blue alero with a blue cf or carbon kevlar hood on it it matches good and is about 1/2 the weight it would be even less but it has a fiberglass botom to it. actuley a cowl would look good on this car with a huge surfebord wing sticking 2 feet of the back of the car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
IMO, some louvers or vents in the front hood could look fine. It all depends on how well they fit the car, and how well they are done. The pic looks ok, although I‘d really like to see multiple angles. They might be a little too close to the headlights.

What about a pair of hood scoops, ala the ’05 GTO? I am not sure how they would look, but it would certainly be very “Pontiac” to have them. They might not be too bad if they are not too aggressive, and lined up with the front grille.

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Sorry, not for me on this car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree... This is a very well deisgned body style from pontiac.. probably their most agressive design in years.. Love it as an origional.. sorry.. Mine will have no mods..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts