Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the look just placed an order for all trim and dash in car. It is very costly why? I seen hood reg $795 with carbon fiber scoops $1500 is it really that expensive? And what so you all think about the carbon fiber look I love it. And if you all know other parts I can replace with it let me know. Like I said doing whole inside that way can't wait till I get.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Love the look just placed an order for all trim and dash in car. It is very costly why? I seen hood reg $795 with carbon fiber scoops $1500 is it really that expensive? And what so you all think about the carbon fiber look I love it. And if you all know other parts I can replace with it let me know. Like I said doing whole inside that way can't wait till I get.
Sorry 07 GXP And I bought a carbon fiber inside door panel's and whole dash.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
i bought a set of the carbon fiber/3m tape for the inside of my Skpel. Ended up not liking it. I know @Robotech has it on his dash and door panels.

True Carbon Fiber is quite expensive, but not used much in our level of cars.

The stuff you see on the newer cars isn't really carbon fiber, hydro dipped vinyl, and then clear coated. I have to admit I am a fan of the look though.

My wheels are hydro dipped carbon fiber, the black part of the hood and rear deck are carbon fiber vinyl. Door handles, hood vents and grill are all done the same way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Are there indeed new cars that use fake carbon fiber ?

I always thought the owner did that for looks (and to increase the weight of their ride :) )

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been learning hydro dipping to do some interior parts. I have done the door switch housings and parking brake handle and getting ready to try the dash. There is a definite learning curve to it. We'll see what the future brings for my projects

·
Registered
437 Posts
carbon fiber is expensive,it's also very fragile.chips oh so eazy at the edges. for strength they usually use carbon/Kevlar blend. it is very lablr intensive since it's visable.it's very eazy to get a slight snag or belmish.thus the expensive part.we had carbon fiber doors, nose,body,deck lid on our last 2 race cars.the last one(promod) the doors were about 2 lbs each.and you were very carfull when handing them between rounds, the entire 1 peice hood fenders,scoop was probably less than 20 pounds. long ago my boss had a carbon70 cigarette boat it was much lighter than the std boat of that model, it was a carbon kevlar mix.mostly kevlar from what I was told so it did not have the cracking issues.boats take a lot of pounding. kevalr is a bout as light as glass, but can use less resin and layered between the carbon fiber..I do miss the performance marina I used to work at and I ran the machine shop machining/building the pussy boat engines. hurricane washed the marina away back in 95 .it was almost 1/2 sq mile facility.not including the machine shop portion on high ground.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Carbon fiber is the new 'in' thing, but only the really high end expensive cars actually have any of the real stuff. The rest make do with a much lower cost for fake CF that looks like the real thing.

One car I own has a 'carbon fiber' intake kit available for $850 - only one small piece is actual CF but apparently that is enough to allow them to use the buzzword and attract idiots that want to be able to say they possess some CF even though you can't see it unless you open the bonnet. Actual weight saving between it and a GRP part is insignificant.

Decent article on why it is so expensive. https://gizmodo.com/why-is-carbon-fiber-so-expensive-5843276

The look of CF has become popular because it is associated with space use and high end cars, or just because some people like it (I am not one of them, I can take it or leave it). This trend has also resulted in the use of the term 'carbon' for finishes that have nothing to do with CF, but is just what would have been called simply 'black' if it would sell as well that way.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought a set of the carbon fiber/3m tape for the inside of my Skpel. Ended up not liking it. I know @Robotech has it on his dash and door panels.

True Carbon Fiber is quite expensive, but not used much in our level of cars.

The stuff you see on the newer cars isn't really carbon fiber, hydro dipped vinyl, and then clear coated. I have to admit I am a fan of the look though.

My wheels are hydro dipped carbon fiber, the black part of the hood and rear deck are carbon fiber vinyl. Door handles, hood vents and grill are all done the same way.
Nice congratulations. The kit I had carbon fiber cheapest then said real carbon fiber more expensive but of course picked real. And even if just dipped the look is amazing. It just dazzles me. Even considering hood that is 2 times price just for hood induction scoops are carbon fiber.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been learning hydro dipping to do some interior parts. I have done the door switch housings and parking brake handle and getting ready to try the dash. There is a definite learning curve to it. We'll see what the future brings for my projects
That's what I got real carbon fiber. Dash kit comes with 13 pieces more expensive then other carbon kits but sweet.
Does dash and doors.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carbon fiber is the new 'in' thing, but only the really high end expensive cars actually have any of the real stuff. The rest make do with a much lower cost for fake CF that looks like the real thing.

One car I own has a 'carbon fiber' intake kit available for $850 - only one small piece is actual CF but apparently that is enough to allow them to use the buzzword and attract idiots that want to be able to say they possess some CF even though you can't see it unless you open the bonnet. Actual weight saving between it and a GRP part is insignificant.

Decent article on why it is so expensive. https://gizmodo.com/why-is-carbon-fiber-so-expensive-5843276

The look of CF has become popular because it is associated with space use and high end cars, or just because some people like it (I am not one of them, I can take it or leave it). This trend has also resulted in the use of the term 'carbon' for finishes that have nothing to do with CF, but is just what would have been called simply 'black' if it would sell as well that way.
Very interesting article thank you was nice read.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I made fenders and the inner supports. Saved a bunch of weight, but even DIY, it was very expensive in materials and time to get done.

Fender 1
Fender 2

Supports 1
Supports 2

I still need to drill out the mounting holes so I can put the Pontiac emblems on, but have been too busy. :/

A hood for $1500 is super cheap, and partly that's because it's not really built in a way that gives all the advantages of using carbon fiber. (I hear they fit terribly, too, and I believe it, because I've tried at least one of those vendors on a previous car and fitment was awful.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Slab8, it looks like yours were vac formed with a mold.
Could you not recoup some of your time and money by doing a short run for those that are interested?
I know some have expressed interest in inner fender liners if you are looking for another project. Even better if you can do them in carbon/kev which looks fabulous in sunlight

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
we do a fair amount of carbon fiber machining where i work. it is all plate and billet stuff though. anywhere from 1/16 to 4 inches thick. we have machined formula 1 rotors and pads as well as aircraft brake systems. we see all kinds of weaves depending on the application. i did some doors for a compartment on a satellite. the material was around 3mm thick and the strongest CF i've seen yet. we had some leftover material and my 97 eagle talon ended up with some gauge and switch panels made out of the stuff. it looked really cool when the surface was ground. didn't even need clear coat. i still have a couple pieces, i think i'll make some airbag light covers.

and yes, it was bulletproof. a 9mm wouldn't even crack it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I made fenders and the inner supports.
Very cool! I'm in the middle of figuring out vacuum bagging and resin infusion. Working on some glass fenders at the moment. Once I get my bridging issue worked out (thus, moving from hand layup to bagging), the plan is to make a set in CF as well as a trunk lid.

·
Super Moderator
6,312 Posts
Very cool! I'm in the middle of figuring out vacuum bagging and resin infusion. Working on some glass fenders at the moment. Once I get my bridging issue worked out (thus, moving from hand layup to bagging), the plan is to make a set in CF as well as a trunk lid.
You should look up the experimental aircraft guys. They have, or used to have, inexpensive classes on a variety of things, and we have gone to a couple of their classes on composite construction.

For carbon fiber, buying pre-preg material is (or at least was) the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
That's a good idea - I'll see if I can track down the aircraft people in the area. I've watched and read everything I can get my hands on and the process is getting easier, but it's a pretty long learning curve.

I've got three complete molds sitting here, one of which (the most recent one) is acceptable. Bag supplies should show up today. Next up is to make another (hopefully) final mold and then pop a fender out. The one part that I've made has some pretty bad voids on the leading edge of the fender and along the sharp 90* bend on top. Hopefully bagging it will help clean that up on the next try.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Slab8, it looks like yours were vac formed with a mold.
Could you not recoup some of your time and money by doing a short run for those that are interested?
I know some have expressed interest in inner fender liners if you are looking for another project. Even better if you can do them in carbon/kev which looks fabulous in sunlight
You should look up the experimental aircraft guys. They have, or used to have, inexpensive classes on a variety of things, and we have gone to a couple of their classes on composite construction.

For carbon fiber, buying pre-preg material is (or at least was) the way to go.
I did mine with pre-preg and an autoclave (so yes, under vacuum, Slash.)

The outer panel and all the inner supports + brackets make for 10 pieces total, none of which are interchangeable left to right, meaning 10 (and a few multipiece!) molds. Thee autoclave I was able to rent some time with wasn't large enough to do the whole thing at once, so I wound up having to do 4 cycles to get all the bits made for one pair of fenders. The only metal left is the fasteners, and everything is 100% carbon, thick enough to hopefully survive some cone hits at an autocross.

Look at what Anvil charges for 2nd Gen Camaro fenders-
https://anvilauto.com/products/camaro/1970-1981/front-outer-fenders.html - notice how the price drops when the materials composition reduces the CF content. $3200 for two pieces in full carbon, not ten, and when you think about their pricing, consider that they probably expect that there's a market for close to 100 sets. I don't think additional sets of the Solstice parts would run what you might think they would, if I decided to make more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts