Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know by this point, I redid my entire stereo system this summer. I bought everything where I could find it, and where it was priced reasonably or in stock. Most of my stuff came from Crutchfield or Sonicelectronix. However, I did buy my door speakers and tweeters from Amazon. And my amp from ebay from an authorized shop. I went with Amazon because the speakers were sold by Amazon and shipped by Amazon. There was no middle-man according to their description. I installed the speakers. After a month of trying to get them to sound great (you'd think for normal people that paid $1000 for these, they'd sound really good!!) but just couldn't get the crisp, clear sound I thought they should have. To be honest, they sounded about like the OE speakers, if not a bit worse. I was very disappointed in my time and money that I had spent. Then one day on my Facebook feed, a post from Alliexpress showed up selling "Focal" speakers for $185. Thought to myself, hmmmm....is this the reason my speakers don't sound good? So I started doing research. I finally found a spot on Focals website that stated that all of their speakers bigger then 5" have serial numbers engraved on the magnet or housing. So I finally got some time today to pull the door panel to look at my speaker...and low and behold, no serial number. Focal's website also warns against buying their speakers directly from Amazon or Ebay without it being an authorized vendor. So, I contacted Amazon and they are willing to return my speakers and give me a full refund. I have to call them again to get the authrization code and where to send them on Monday, but I'm going to ask for an hour of labor as well and see what I get... So beware, and do your do-diligence if buying anything of value from Amazon!!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I guess it's that old, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" sort of thing...

Appreciate the heads up just the same!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it's that old, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" sort of thing...

Appreciate the heads up just the same!
It is and isn't. Nobody had these for sale but Amazon and ebay. And pricing ranged anywhere from $489 to $1500. And knowing how fussy Amazon is regarding fake stuff, I didn't think too much of it. I mean I was going to start selling items on Amazon with a friend and I couldn't believe the hoops we had to jump through to sell. So I walked away from it, but he's doing it.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Unscrupulous sellers can penetrate Ebay and Amazon. Its just harder to do it on Amazon. If possible, investigate the seller before purchasing if it is a seller you are unfamiliar with. Even after doing that, you can still get burned sometimes. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unscrupulous sellers can penetrate Ebay and Amazon. Its just harder to do it on Amazon. If possible, investigate the seller before purchasing if it is a seller you are unfamiliar with. Even after doing that, you can still get burned sometimes. Caveat emptor.
It was Amazon themselves that sold this.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I imagine that it's worth the "effort" to dupe the seller (Amazon) and the buyer (us) considering the amount of money that could be made.

Consider that when Ping decided to have a Chinese company start making their golf clubs they knew that there would be counterfeits made alongside of their own. But the amount of profit they would make on their reduced costs made them decide it was worth it anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
There are a few threads on the forum that address this counterfeit issue I pretty much don't buy parts from a third party if at all possible DDM Works ,Performance Auto ,and Summit Racing have been my go to suppliers for the Solstice .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts