Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some of the slowest typing and slowest reading people I have ever seen I am on the waiting list according to the reply back to the dealers computer at 2:42. Another GM debacle. :cuss:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also peeved

I'm also PO'd. My dealer is a moron.. :willy: He waited until 2:20 before even trying to log into the order system and even then, he tried to order 9 cars. He said a dealer down the road tried to order 16. I bet if he only tried to get 2 or 3 he would have gotten 1 for me! Now I have to wait until September! :cuss:

I once got 2nd row concert tickets to see Stevie Nicks by synchronizing my watch to the TIcketmaster system and with the help of the clerk, he typed in my order and I told him when to press <ENTER>. Tickets went on sale at 10:00am and as I saw stared at my watch, I told the clerk to press <ENTER> within 1 or 2 seconds of it turning 10:00

·
Registered
767 Posts
After seemingly hundreds of server time outs, my order went thru at 1:43 and put me on the waiting list. The dealer got logged on right at 1:00, but still didn't get the order completed in time. The next guy in line was also put on the waiting list. After all the waiting, now who knows how much more time till regular allocations start showing up at the dealerships. I'm happy for those who got in on the first 1000, but I am very frustrated at Pontiac for not seeing the server problem ahead of time and preparing for it.

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There was a guy at the dealership with me who called a friend who worked at the GM web devision. He said the first 1000 we're literally gone in 15 seconds. The system got slammed with 200,000 requests (web requests, not car requests) and pretty much in essence DDoS'd the entire ordering system. Due to this me being #2 at my dealerships with 3 computers going at once failed to get an EOP. :(

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The only reason I failed was because of the confusion between Eastern Time and Eastern Standard Time.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm getting confused, everyone's saying they got cars up until 2:42. I was supposedly #2 at my dealer and they had 3 computers going. I jsut don't understand how I couldn't have gotten one of the first 1000 cars.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
There was a guy at the dealership with me who called a friend who worked at the GM web devision. He said the first 1000 we're literally gone in 15 seconds. The system got slammed with 200,000 requests (web requests, not car requests) and pretty much in essence DDoS'd the entire ordering system. Due to this me being #2 at my dealerships with 3 computers going at once failed to get an EOP. :(
It was still giving out orders until 2:45 ish. How can 2,000 people make 200,000 requests...hitting enter too many times?

·
Registered
82 Posts
FYI

I logged in at 1:59, everything was ok. I logged out and then right back in and it immediately said server error. Pontiacs system couldn't deal with all of us dealers at once. It took me 34 minutes to get my first order in and the last was at 2:39. I went back in and they were gone not 3 minutes later.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
It was still giving out orders until 2:45 ish. How can 2,000 people make 200,000 requests...hitting enter too many times?
Hearing people it sound like teh 15 second thing was BS on this guys part.

Yeah, if a site makes multiple calls, or people keeping jamming enter/refresh it's going to spawn requests over and over. If Pontiac had told them to hit enter once or built some sort of timer into their sites they could have prevented this. There are too many users who don't know how a web system really works, so they keep pounding refresh over and over. They don't realize this creates a new request thread on the server for every time they do this. And depending on the server a request will continue to run even though you've moved on, or closed it, or refreshed again. So the server finally gets to your request, it attempts to send back but the client isn't accepting that request anymore. In essence Pontiac DDoS'd themselves. Distributed Denial of Service attack. So many request came in at one time it tanked their servers.

·
Registered
670 Posts
3:00 Edt

At 3:00 EDT 21 EOP orders had been bounced out and over 2000 are on wait list according to Pontiac 800 hotline at our dealer. :brentil:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I once got 2nd row concert tickets to see Stevie Nicks by synchronizing my watch to the TIcketmaster system and with the help of the clerk, he typed in my order and I told him when to press <ENTER>. Tickets went on sale at 10:00am and as I saw stared at my watch, I told the clerk to press <ENTER> within 1 or 2 seconds of it turning 10:00
That's how I order all my tickets. I've been to hundreds of concerts and have NEVER sat further back than 10th row and never paid a scalper!

·
Registered
753 Posts
brentil said:
I'm getting confused, everyone's saying they got cars up until 2:42. I was supposedly #2 at my dealer and they had 3 computers going. I jsut don't understand how I couldn't have gotten one of the first 1000 cars.
brentil i have to say you deserve a first thousand solstice- i'm bummed you didn't get one. we only refreshed after getting denied by the server. we started at EXACTLY 02:00 EST and moved from one 'page' to the next about very 7-8 minutes after multiple refreshes . my confirmation was 02:33:55

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I agree, brentil should have gotten one :(

In thinking about this whole mess GM should have been ready to go right away with the regular orders too. They could have separated the people who wanted the special badged cars (first 1000) into 1 pool and then everyone else who just wanted one into a 2nd pool (regular allocation).

·
Banned
8,656 Posts
Congratulations to the first 1000, my condolences to those on the wait list. I guess the wait list is better than no list at all.

How do you tell if you are one of the first 1000? Does your printout from the dealership show REGISTERED or did the wait list get that status also? I have nothing under reference number.

My time stamp is 2:37:11 PM. Fingers are crossed!

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
brentil I am with you I am so very pisssssed. We started to log on just before 2:00 and it would not let us on. Dealer kept trying and next thing we know we get the message page. 2 computers going for just my order since I was #1 and could not get the order through until 2:49. My dealer knew what to do and was ready we just could not get through. Not fair since GM did this joke----Of course I did not get in on the EOP even though we tried. My order is in so I will get my car first. When I left the dealer at 3:30 they had 2 preodreds which included mine and 12 new orders they got that day---and dya was not done-----Shame on GM

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I think I got one........

I was #1 in line at my dealer and he tried for 30 minutes before getting my order in at 2:30.....he said I was "pending confirmation" and the other orders were too late or not pending......does anyone know how we get "notified" or confirmed?

My dealer is in mid-Michigan and had 7 allotments he said.

·
5,641 Posts
ateam_77 said:
What were the 21 orders rejected for?
Someone posted that the system accepted 1,021 orders. Think they were at a dealership that a GM rep was visiting at thte time. So the system must have bounced these 21 to get back to its number.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts