Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stopped by Car Toys in Boulder. They can do a new Kenwood Radio with Apple Car Play, Blue Tooth and integrate a high-res backup camera. They would install the license plate mount backup camera, put the wire through a small hole behind the license plate frame, seal and waterproof it, tie the wiring into the back-up light circuit and run the single wire through the right side hidden underneath everything and then up under the dash to the new radio. The Kenwood radio Car Play would talk to my iPhone 7, show IOS nav, audible books, podcasts, contacts, actually read any messages, let me talk to Siri, etc. etc.

6.95" Wide VGA Color LCD Display with LED Backlight
Capacitive Touch Panel, Variable Key Illumination
Built-in HD Radio and Bluetooth
https://www.cartoys.com/DDX9903S

Bolt-on plate frame style and surface-mount style brackets
Wide-angle Vision: 150° viewing angle
High-sensitivity optics provide excellent low-light performance
IP67 Waterproof
https://www.cartoys.com/ACA800

Slick install and features. Thats the good news. The bad news is the price. Ranging from $1700 (best 7" radio with CD player)to $1575 (very good 6" radio with CD) to $1400 for good 6" radio and no CD. Who needs a CD player/slot anyway?

I may hold of a while, but probably never will do the cheaper wireless cameras with a hole drilled in the GXP :kiss:body.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
DANGER Will Robinson!

You do NOT need to drill a hole in the body. The camera wire can be fed up through the slot in the bumper above the license plate to reach the reversing light harness. Then you only need drill a small hole in the (plastic) trunk liner and from there through existing holes into the cabin and along the sills to the front of the car & the radio.

No metal needs to be pierced/waterproofed!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Soup, you're right, there's a big slot above the license plate frame where there is a license plate light, so no need to drill. Still not sure if I'd plop for the $14-17K right now though as I just spent $1K for tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts