Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tri-fold pdf file in the "Solstice vs. MX5" thread states that there is a "Cat-back exhaust system" available from GM performance parts that will work with the "free flowing" intake system to improve performance and add a more aggresive tone to the exhaust note. :cool:
Any experience with this sort of GM product and any guesses on cost to obtain and install.
Also, what is it?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Cat-Back usually implies the Catalyst is back of the exhaust manifold I believe. Instead of like some cars where it's integrated into it. Usually they're designed with bigger piping, less bends, less restrictive catalyst, and less restrictive muffler to reduce back presure. This permits exhaust gas to escape quicker permitting the engine to run faster. Unless you replace the exhaust manifold along with the intake as well though you wont always see much of a performance. Turbocharged/Supercharged vehicles usually see a larger gain from these types of addons then a NA engine. However you should still get some performance gain though.

You can currently buy the dual exhaust for use with the 1999 - 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo; 2000 - 2002 Chevrolet Impala; 1997 - 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix for about $500. It's been a while since I've had an exhaust system installed so I'm not sure of labor cost. But I know when I had the last one done it took less than an hour. If you get it done at a GM Dealership you'll get a warranty too.
http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=912&Category_ID=48

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like about $600 or $700 for a very small gain in performance and would require more changes and $ to make it really pay off.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping it'll be a bit cheaper though because the $500 is for a dual exhaust system with far more piping and two mufflers too. If it came in at $500 with installation I'd be very inclined to go for it depending on sound. However if it's a dual exahust setup that looks like what's on the recently Solstice spy shots I'd happily fork over the money for it the day I buy the car. :D

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
CAT_BACK means that you get all new exhaust components from the CATalytic converter to the BACK of the car. That's why I'm guessing.hoping its the dual although it does not say.

·
5,600 Posts
No dual exhaust for me, thanks! With a four-banger motor I just don't see the point. I don't have any problem with one little exhaust tip. I think it is like false advertising to put it on a 4-banger. So while I do like the look and symmetry of dual exhaust, when I saw it on the NC photos, I just had to roll my eyes because I know it serves no useful function. To me, it is one step up from putting a huge whale-tail wing on the back of a Sentra.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yes, a real dual exhaust is lost really on an i4 engine. But technically what we're talking about are not actually dual exhaust. We're actually using the term incorrectly. They're dual outlet mufflers. If done correctly it can give better performance by permitting faster gas removal. However they're mainly done for appearance.

If the cat-back exhaust offered by GM is a dual outlet design I'm going to be all over it. :D

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
brentil said:
If done correctly it can give better performance by permitting faster gas removal. However they're mainly done for appearance.
And a hot appearance they are.

Hell, I just want to add a non-functional tip on the left side.

No passer-byer needs to know it's a 4-banger.

Besides, there are some super-powerful 4-bangers out there.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fortimir said:
And a hot appearance they are.

Hell, I just want to add a non-functional tip on the left side.

No passer-byer needs to know it's a 4-banger.

Besides, there are some super-powerful 4-bangers out there.
Now you're speaking my language. Indy cars used to be only 4 cylinders in the days of Offenhauser.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm thinking that once the modding begins and the 4-banger gets supercharged or more likely turboed, then freeing up the back end will make a lot of difference.

Cams, head, intake manifold, wider throttle body, chip up front and dump it out the back as fast as you can.

High-flow cat, test pipes etc. Whatever the decibel meter will allow, if you still want to put a plate on it. I have a 1.6L 4 cyl. MCS and have pushed the WHP up about 100 HP over stock w/ tons of goodies. At 230 now.

Damn the warranty, full speed ahead. :devil:

Possibly looking for new project. :cool:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A performance exhaust will be even if it just improves the exhaust note a little bit. Since they will be offering this, I take it that they plan on having a fairly quiet stock exhaust on the car to begin with.

Its definitely a plus for anyone planning on doing engine modifications. Especially if GM ends up offering a supercharger or boost kit. I would imagine anyone who adds forced induction, whether its factory backed or not, is going to have to free up the intake and exhaust to let all that extra air through the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, whenever GM offers a Supercharger kit and exhuast system, they usually always recommend installing the exhuast system for full performance.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Any similar sized mandrel bent system with a free flow muffler should help.

The press bent standard OEM exhaust systems just do not flow all that good. Ripples in the bends can not cut it.

Steve

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
slowandlow said:
dual is not a true dual it is a dual outlet muffler
Yeah, true duals on a 4 banger would probably be overkill. Might not sound too good either. The exhaust could also be split above the mufflers, leaving two mufflers on the system even though its not really true duals. A lot of cars are set up like that. At any rate, it would be mainly for styling.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If they do, make absolutely sure you don't get it through JEG'S. They screwed a BUNCH of people on the clubgp forum and they're reputation is even worse with the G-Body people (cutlass, GNX, etc.) so much that "Juck Fegs" is as common as "OMG" or "LOL" at other forums.

However, the SLP catback systems have always been quality. Just steer clear of the sets at Jeg's.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
From what I've seen to date SLP has not had anything yet for ecotec engines. Subject of course to change. Without the Firebird I wonder if you can even get an SLP prepped Grand Prix anymore. Previously there was an RPO to have your car pulled from the assembly line at some point, delivered to SLP, and then from SLP to the dealer. All parts full GM warranty and on the window sticker. :) Unless you plan on beating the s... out of your Solstice the first best bet would be the parts through GM performance. Then after your warranty is up go ahead and get the NOS and have a blast (literally)

The only 4 banger that would/could benefit from true dual exhaust would be the German Ford V4 from years back.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ok, went and looked up Ford's prices for the parts on my car. My ZX2 S/R came stock with Ford Racing cat-back exhaust and cold air intake which they sell through their Ford Racing Parts devision. The cat-back exhaust costs $225 and the CAI costs $185. These are Ford prices, and not resseler prices too. Expect to pay $80 per/hour for a dealership to install at about 2 hours (hour per item even though it shouldn't take that long). So if I had a normal ZX2 and had Ford install these it would be about $570 for both. If the GM items end up costing about this much (and it's a dual tip exahust of course :D) I'll be getting these the day I get the car if available (and I've got the extra moeny of course), or a couple months after as soon as I can save up the money.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts