Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to the forums and i was looking for some much needed help. I have a 2008 GXP trifecta tuned, everything else is stock. Recently my CEL is just flashing randomly mostly at idle. There is no roughness to the car's drive ability which usually happens on a misfire. At idle with the hood open you can however here a rapid ticking. What could this flashing CEL be?
I changed spark plugs a couple days ago and replaced a MAP sensor a week ago. Any help would be very appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
A flashing CEL is not good. It generally means shut down and find the problem.

The CEL should be steady for a non critical code and flashing for a critical code. It is not designed to just randomly flash.

In any case, pull the codes from the ECM and share them with us.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Flashing randomly or blinking on and off? As Rob said, if it's blinking, it's time to shut it down and find out what's going on. If it's appearing and disappearing randomly it could still be a code. Might be a short to the gauge cluster or a bad ground. (Seems to be cropping up a bit lately.) As Rob suggested, get the codes read.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had tried but its not storing any codes. Also I noticed it will flash
On idle until I move the car, then it goes away. Car us operating under normal conditions aside from that. Another thing I forgot to mention was I changed the spark plugs a day ago and dropped one. Had no choice but to use it at the time

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing I'm going to change my plugs again today, getting the stock ac delcos. I have a feeling I ****ed up the plug when I dropped it. However the strange thing is that light goes away immediately as soon as I move the car or rev the engine near redline at idle

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Check the engine ground. There is a ground connector on the front driver's side if memory serves. In the early years this ground was a source of strange and intermittent problems. The behavior you are describing could be due to a bad ground and that one is intimately associated with RPM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thank you I will look into that, is there a picture you have by chance I could use as reference?

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Here is one interesting thread response

Only electrical issue I had was a loose ground some where on the engine block. It was causing misfires under load (WOT) on course during an autocross. Never set a code (to my memory), but the engine light would flicker and you could hear it, and the loss of power on course was rather noticeable.

Not saying it's your issue... but only electrical issue I had, so something to look at. I seem to recall the dealer saying there was a TSB or note of some sort, that's how they decided to look in that area.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f59/possible-engine-issue-66587/index2.html#post1015621

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/hesitation-during-wot-48687/

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Here's the TSB regarding the ground

#PIP4182: SES Light And/Or Engine Misfires On All Cylinders - Inspect Ground - keywords - compression controls damage detonation dtc gt knock low mil no P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304 P2261 ping plug power - (Jul 13, 2007)

Subject: SES Light and/or Engine Misfires on All Cylinders
Models: 2007-2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2007-2008 Saturn Sky Redline
2007-2008 Opel GT
built before May 23, 2007
with 2.0L Engine (VIN X - RPO LNF)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

On rare occasion, various engine performance issues, such as engine misfires, SES light, no power, and/or detonation may be experienced. This may be the result of a loose engine ground on the left front of the cylinder head. If the customer continues to drive the vehicle like this, the concern will get more severe, and engine/spark plug damage may occur. Upon inspection, DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, and/or P2261 may be stored.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If the SI diagnosis does not isolate a cause for this concern, inspect the ground that is on the left front of the cylinder head to see if it is loose or corroded, and repair it as necessary. If a poor ground is found, remove the spark plugs and inspect them for fouling, damage, etc. If a spark plug concern is found, replace them and re-evaluate the concern.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Make sure you check the gap to see if they are at 32.
Once you install the new plugs your problem will probably go away.
The issue is idling to low or an erratic idle do to the messed up spark plug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: sadly the spark plugs were not the issue, however on 3rd cylinder's plug was fuel on the threads so i think the tune i have may be causing my car to run rich, or maybe the fuel system is properly regulating how much the engine needs. To verify this, the flashing cel light comes on at an idle and that methodical tick that the GXP is notorious for speeds up quite a bit. Now if i run the rpms high on idle, the light disappears and the same goes for when i start driving. As i said before the drive ability of the car seems unaffected. Good power, no shuddering, no strange smells.

Any input on this would be appreciated as i believe our GXP's fuel system's are a bit faulty
And thank you for all of the advice so far.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Who's tune is it?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I would call Vince at Trifecta and inquire about your issue.
The plug been wet is not a good sign. He will want you to do a log to see what is happening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes i plan to get with the independent dealer who helped me out , one more thing i noticed is i can get the light to go off by turning the a/c on, stepping on the gas in neutral, and putting the car in gear and driving.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
No codes and no engine misbehavior. My thinking goes that the light is tripping from some oddity - not OBD from the engine control module telling it to light due to something it has detected. I'm back to a grounding or wiring issue. Have you checked those first?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts