Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Chances that Pontiac will surprise us with higher HP version during initial launch 1?

• Very good chance

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Might happen, who knows?

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Don't think so

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Not in this life time buddy

Votes: 1 4.8%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A poll to ponder...pure guesses but has anyone thought about possisbility they could surprise us with a higher HP version out of the gate (in addition to base model)?

:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I could see them doing that as part of an upgrade package. Especially if the base is a 'loser leader' as has been suggested.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I would think they would save a higher power version for farther down the road. Chances are, they would sell all the Solstices they plan on making if they were powered by a hampster on a wheel under the hood. After the initial demand dies down a little, they can bump the power up on the car to keep people coming into showrooms.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I agree that's probably what will happen but I can still hope because:
1. Never before has there been so much advance hype about a future modification to a car that's still at least a year away from the showrooms. GM's been "leaking" to the press that a higher horsepower version was in the works since the moment it was introduced.
2. Both the concept and the "production" show cars had superchargers.
3. Several months ago, Lutz made a point to tell the press that he's driven a forced induction version .
4. A significant number of members of this forum have said they'd wait for more power. Their thinking is probably representative of the market surveys GM's done.
5. I can't remember another completly new car that was first shown to the public with the caveat, "If you want a GREAT car, don't buy the car in front of you. Wait for the improved one we'll sell soon." A very unusual marketing technique.
6. GM will have a supercharged Ecotec in the showrooms this fall in the Cobalt and already has a turbo in the Saab showrooms, so most of the paperwork's already done.
7. And now I hear the 2005 Cobalt will only have either the supercharged 205hp 2.0L or the 150hp and that the 2.4 litre has been posponed a year.
8. GM likes to have mulitiple powertrains available.
9. The Mini first hit the US showroom as both a base (manufacturer's list under $20,000) and a supercharged "S" with a John Cooper option two years later and a convertible due 2005.

I'm hoping they'll have a 150hp, a 170hp and a 205hp version the first year with a 250hp supercharged 2.4L a year later.
If my fears are realized :nopity and I have to buy the 170 hp version at introduction, I predict a short rather than long wait for the larger forced induction model. But I can always hope they'll give me an easy choice in 2005! :yesnod

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
I agree that's probably what will happen but I can still hope because:
6. GM will have a supercharged Ecotec in the showrooms this fall in the Cobalt and already has a turbo in the Saab showrooms, so most of the paperwork's already done.
That supercharged Ecotec is in showrooms now, and has been since about April under the hood of the Saturn Ion Redline. Although the Ion Redline as a complete package has not been given universal praise due to some handling deficiencies and curious gearing, but the engine has received a lot of praise. I think there may have been a minor recall for a fuel line or something on it, but overall I have not heard of any problems up to this point. Its also fuel efficient for an S/C too, that Ion gets 23 MPG city, and high 20's highway!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
According to Saturns website the Red Line gets 23/29 MPG (CITY/HWY).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
My guess is that well just see the stock engine the first year, but there will be a SuperCharger offered by GM Performance Parts like the Vibe/Cavalier/Sunfire have offered for them. Link If any other engine is offered year one, I would expect it at most to be a higher tuned 2.0L SC from the Red Line/SS Cobalt. Then if interest is still strong more engine options will be offered over time.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I had to mark maybe, who knows? because past trends have been for GM to introduce a new model with a base motor and then add higher horse power one or two years later to extend the life of the new model. These days though, people are expecting more options for performance cars right out of the gate, so it could go either way. If it was the old GM I would say, definately, a one to two year wait, but with Lutz maybe not. Tough call.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Maybe the S/C motor will be a mid-year upgrade. Not available right at the start next fall, but certainly in cars by spring of 2006. That would still allow GM to move base models at sticker off the bat to those who must get the first one.

Then when they hit the prime convertable selling season in the spring, they can stimulate the attention the car is getting with the S/C motor and cash in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts