Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience, (good or bad), with using a slight coating of silicon lubricant on the charge tubes to aid in their installation in the rubber/silicon connector tubes? Also, since the rubber mounts for our inter-cooler are no longer available has anyone come up with a suitable replacement for them? Thanks. Rick

·
Registered
52 Posts
The dish soap is probably a better idea. I have used white lithium grease (very tiny amount) when I installed the upgraded intercooler and didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Agree with the other guys. Any regular lubricant usually stays liquid and can facilitate leaks. Soap works well and then tends to dry out and if anything, acts as a bit of a sealant once it does.

Sorry I can't help on the IC mounts. Does anyone have picture of the stock ones?

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I've used gojo for years for this purpose. My father-in-law taught me that trick about 35 years ago. Works about like soap does but most of us usually have it in the garage where we're working. Don't use the type with pumice though and don't go too heavy with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your input. I went with Dawn dish soap and was very pleasantly surprised that the DDM silicon charge tubes came free after letting the soap sit on the interior lip for 5 minutes. The intercooler came right off and the dish soap cleaned up easily. As for the the intercooler mounting bracket insulators, I lucked out and found 4 on Ebay and scarfed them up at a reasonable price.

Thank you all again for your help and input. (y)
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
.....so no one used spit like me?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I have to admit I didn't even think of that. I'm sure it probably would work but I'm not very good at hitting what I spit at! :p
No loogies, no longer distance shots.

Index finger to lips, push a little spit out onto finger, apply to rubber.

.....i bet we've all used saliva for lube, at one point in time. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts