Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from chatting with my dealer a few minutes ago.its beaman pontiac in nashville. they were supposed to get their first 3 or 4 cars oct 20th but its been pushed back another 3 to 6 weeks because of a quality problem that is being corrected apparently on all new solstices (might be the window frame that folks on this forum have mentioned). to make matters worse the truckers want gm to pay a fuel surcharge and gm dosnt want to. ergo cars of all types just sitting missing delivery. very nice guy there and very frustrated because hes got three hot sellers the vibe, the gt6(?) and the gto he cant get enough of. best guess for my car about april at this point. i ordered it only about a month ago. he feels though that once the first 1000 are all done and they get the quality issue squared away then in the future it will switch to the more usual 4 to 6 weeks. hope so.
i also visted a saturn dealer a acouple of weeks ago and got laughed off the lot asking about the sky. :cool:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
just got back from chatting with my dealer a few minutes ago.its beaman pontiac in nashville. they were supposed to get their first 3 or 4 cars oct 20th but its been pushed back another 3 to 6 weeks because of a quality problem that is being corrected apparently on all new solstices (might be the window frame that folks on this forum have mentioned). to make matters worse the truckers want gm to pay a fuel surcharge and gm dosnt want to. ergo cars of all types just sitting missing delivery. very nice guy there and very frustrated because hes got three hot sellers the vibe, the gt6(?) and the gto he cant get enough of. best guess for my car about april at this point. i ordered it only about a month ago. he feels though that once the first 1000 are all done and they get the quality issue squared away then in the future it will switch to the more usual 4 to 6 weeks. hope so.
i also visted a saturn dealer a acouple of weeks ago and got laughed off the lot asking about the sky. :cool:
They first thousand have been done since last week of Aug/first week Sept. They got the new parts to fix the cars and are working 3 crews 7 days a week to get them fixed and on there way.( I think it would be pretty fast with that many people doing repairs) They are suppose to go to three shifts starting Jan due to the start of the pre production of the sky. I haven't heard anything about a trucking company surcharge for gas, but this is not a surprize, I worked for a trucking company dispatching at one time, and if gas went really high, they have to ask for a surcharge the're not going to haul for no profit. I can't imagine GM would dicker about a surcharge because it wouldn't be the first time they paid one, they would just pass the surcharge on to the customer. Mind you the surcharge is probably not much, maybe $30 .00 per car (this is an example).They are not going to hold up 3000 cars that cost 24/25 thousand per cars because of a small surcharge, they would be loosing alot more in interest.

It depends on your dealers 2nd allocation, if they have three cars on order and three allocated for the 2nd allocation, your going to wait alot longer then 4/6 weeks.

And don't forget the bottle necking is happening in the water testing dept. also, they are making cars faster then they can test them. Evidently ,a pretty time consuming test and they are testing every one that comes off the line right now.

I'm sure now that they have the parts they should be getting fixed fairly fast. My deck seal was fixed at the dealer because my car made it out three weeks ago vin 1178, it took less than 2 hours to fix the seal, but then you have to take the rug out, let it dry, spray with mold spray.The drying is what took time they make sure it's dried good, that took 3 day's for the rug to dry, spray and put back together. Then water test. So for the deck seal it doesn't take that long per car.

The three things being repaired are:

New Glass (side Windows)
New rubber seal (side windows)
New deck seal

Sorry for the long post I just want to explain the whole ordeal again without bringing up old posts.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks Deluke, you give more info in one post then the General has given me since I 'ordered' the car in March! I'm sure they have the problem taken care of on the production line as my dealer has been getting cars with vins 1K over mine.

I will express sincere surprise if I see my car before December :( .

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Pterosaur said:
I will express sincere surprise if I see my car before December :( .
I just got the first bit of real news out of my salesman since they confirmed my order back in May. He said my car was at 3400 (Broadcast) and expected it to be here November 21 :eek:

I thanked him for the info - but if I see that car much before Christmas I''l be stunned :lol:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks to all for the nice replies (especially deluke). it seems to me that even the dealers are somewhat in the dark and are answering questions the best they can.not only frustarating for us customers but also for dealers as well. im still planing on april or so. in the meantime it gives me achance to start saving up my car payments(or my best guess at them) each month as if the car was here.i d almost rather have mine arrive in spring rather than the dead of winter. having driven 240z rear wheel drive and front engine thru many years in the past i can tell you unequivocally as a winter car in bad weather this great little car will suck!! :cool:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
thanks to all for the nice replies (especially deluke). it seems to me that even the dealers are somewhat in the dark and are answering questions the best they can.not only frustarating for us customers but also for dealers as well. im still planing on april or so. in the meantime it gives me achance to start saving up my car payments(or my best guess at them) each month as if the car was here.i d almost rather have mine arrive in spring rather than the dead of winter. having driven 240z rear wheel drive and front engine thru many years in the past i can tell you unequivocally as a winter car in bad weather this great little car will suck!! :cool:
Ya, we got ours three weeks ago and it will be put away for the winter in a couple weeks. When we picked it up dealer put in 87. But with 93 and the new cat back we had put on, my husnand said you can tell that it has more hp.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool. what did the cat back run and is it abrand that we can get in other parts of the country? :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
sorry to sound dumb -- but what are "87" and "93" ??

·
Registered
705 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
having driven 240z rear wheel drive and front engine thru many years in the past i can tell you unequivocally as a winter car in bad weather this great little car will suck!! :cool:
Hey, I thought I was the only one stupid enough to do that!!! :) Loved my 'z' but it hated the snow!!! It was a blast on dry roads though huh?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
cool. what did the cat back run and is it abrand that we can get in other parts of the country? :)
The cat back was 550.00 then you have to get the tip thats another 50. But my dealer gave me the employee discount. (this was my price. The regular price is Cat back 625.00 tip 75.00 plus to install it another 100.00. I like the sound of the cat back It's a little deeper than the stock, but I didn't get sound clips which makes it alittle louder.( You can get those also but I don't know if GM has them you would have to ask)You can get the cat back at the dealer, it's a GM accessory. We also had the tonneau cover put on, which will be really nice in the spring.

If you want sound clips, I'm sure someone on the forum can tell you where you can get them.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
solactor said:
sorry to sound dumb -- but what are "87" and "93" ??
Octain for gas, you could run on 87 octain but you loose hp. You should run with 91 or 93 octain for more HP. And you don't sound dumb, I should of explained.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: the allocation explanation

I picked up a cancelled order from a dealer in NC. My dealer gave me an order sheet copy that had a 6 letter order # -- and it said my priority is "1". Under allocation group it just says "SOLSTC".

He acts like I'm speaking a foreign language when I use any of these terms on the phone now. Is there any way to find out other than asking him-- whether the order was in the first 4-month allocation or second??

hope this doesn't go out of the parameters of this thread

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pterosaur. i had 2 240z in my life the first 71 i bought in daytona beach brand new right off the show room floor. boy was it cool. my second one i bought somewhere around 80 or so and had for 15 yrs. put 253,oo0 on it. believe it or not i feel that the original z is a lot like the solstice. about the same power, size and handling characteristics. i can tell you the z was great on a dry road but more than a handful on wet or heaven forbid snow. just like i feel the solstice will be. but when its dry out whoaaa nellie!!! ;)
good to find another z car fan!!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
solactor said:
Re: the allocation explanation

I picked up a cancelled order from a dealer in NC. My dealer gave me an order sheet copy that had a 6 letter order # -- and it said my priority is "1". Under allocation group it just says "SOLSTC".

He acts like I'm speaking a foreign language when I use any of these terms on the phone now. Is there any way to find out other than asking him-- whether the order was in the first 4-month allocation or second??

hope this doesn't go out of the parameters of this thread
I don't know if the second allocations have gone out yet but Small Dealer can tell you. As of a week ago I know he said they were not given out.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm curious, does anyone know what the priority code means?

·
Registered
575 Posts
from reading earlier posts -- I got the impression that the priority code is the priority your order has with "your " dealer. EX: if he has three cars coming and you are priority "2" then you are second in line.

I may be completely wrong about this. I'm just learning as I go. That's why I asked the question about allocation one versus two and how you can tell where your order is.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
solactor said:
from reading earlier posts -- I got the impression that the priority code is the priority your order has with "your " dealer. EX: if he has three cars coming and you are priority "2" then you are second in line.

I may be completely wrong about this. I'm just learning as I go. That's why I asked the question about allocation one versus two and how you can tell where your order is.

:agree:

·
5,641 Posts
deluke said:
I don't know if the second allocations have gone out yet but Small Dealer can tell you. As of a week ago I know he said they were not given out.

The estimated second four month alloaction numbers were posted on October 17th as planned. Dealers can access them at the same place they got thier estimated first four month allocation numbers.

·
Registered
575 Posts
small dealer:

Is there any way to find out if my car was in first allocation other than asking my dealer. When I asked -- he acted like l was speaking French. If I was in the first allocation, would I definitely already have my car?

I only have a six letter order # -- and since I took over someone else's cancelled order, my info is limited.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
solactor said:
small dealer:

Is there any way to find out if my car was in first allocation other than asking my dealer. When I asked -- he acted like l was speaking French. If I was in the first allocation, would I definitely already have my car?

I only have a six letter order # -- and since I took over someone else's cancelled order, my info is limited.

Thanks
You wouldn't necessarily already have it, but it would have an event code of 2500 or higher. The order I took over was at event code 3000 when I bought it, and the dealer printed out the sheet with all the info for me from the GM Order Workbench. But I did ask for it before I agreed to buy the car. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.