Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to the shop today for check engine light and I needed to get my belt tensioner replaced. The check engine light is somehting like a P0001? (Not 100% that the full code), but he said it was something to go with a shaft sensor in the exhaust, and they would have to do some kind of 17 point electrical thing to figure it out. Yes, sorry this is very vague. I told him not to do it (They wanted $140 to do the diagnostic and it runs fine). Anybody know what this might be? Sorry it's pretty vague.

2008 Solistice 2.4

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Go to an Autozone or AdvancedAuto (probably others) parts store. They'll read the code for you for free. Write it down and post it here. Then we'll be able to help.

Unfortunately, for now, all you've really said is "something's wrong, please help". Doesn't give us a good place to start :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I took my car to the shop today for check engine light and I needed to get my belt tensioner replaced. The check engine light is somehting like a P0001? (Not 100% that the full code), but he said it was something to go with a shaft sensor in the exhaust, and they would have to do some kind of 17 point electrical thing to figure it out. Yes, sorry this is very vague. I told him not to do it (They wanted $140 to do the diagnostic and it runs fine). Anybody know what this might be? Sorry it's pretty vague.

2008 Solistice 2.4
It could be this as I have experienced and stated on another post:

Mine just started showing P0014 code two weeks ago..46K on car. If I clear the code, I may drive a few days before it comes back. But it will come back (three times now) No noticable change in car performance at all.

Autozone scanned for me free of charge.

According to their diagnostics:

P0014 code

Definition:

Cam phasing error

Explanation:

The ECM has detected the camshaft phase angle has exceeded its tolerance
value.

Probable cause:

Loose cam or crank sensor

Excessive timing chain free play

Blocked oil passage in the camshaft actuator assembly or engine

Incorrect oil quality or viscosity

I am a retired mechanic.. I am wondering if I should check the exhaust camshaft actuator first.

Here is the thread with the info:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f64/p0013-p0014-codes-64495/

If it is code p0014 it is most likely the exhaust camshaft actuator based on what I have checked out. I have purchased a new one (around 40 bucks if I remember) have not installed it yet to determine since my warning has come and gone by itself since then...mine is definitely not constant so most likely the actuator...I did ohm mine out and found that it was out of tolerance. I will post results after I replace same.

You need to know the EXACT code number..it is very important since there are many, many codes.

Oh it was part number #12646784 $42.64 (delivered) from GM Parts Direct.Com it is the exhaust cam actuator valve.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
check the exhaust camshaft actuator first.
That's what the 014 code is for. Try removing the plunger and checking the o-rings, then clean up the bore and re assemble.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AZDarkSOl, yep that sounds like what he told me over the phone. The exhaust cam actuator. I'll double check when I get the car back. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but is it something anyone could probably change? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
AZDarkSOl, yep that sounds like what he told me over the phone. The exhaust cam actuator. I'll double check when I get the car back. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but is it something anyone could probably change? Thanks.
Yes ..I've just been lazy..since my check engine light has gone off and on by itself..I know it is not a constant like a plugged oil passage or a loose chain..I just posted the part number and cost in my first post here (I edited it) Also check the thread link I posted and you will find out more including ease of replacement... one word of warning...these actuators both intake and exhaust...intake being towards drivers side and exhaust being toward passengers side are fairly easy to access since they are at the very top of engine under your plastic top engine cover. However you may as I do have particulates of dirt, belt debris etc. that has settled around the area where the actuator is inserted into the engine. Make sure you do a very good job of cleaning this out with either or both brake cleaner, q-tips..or vacuum before you remove old actuator since you will be exposing temporarily a hole into this area almost 1 inch in diameter..you would certainly not want any debris to fall into the engine porting to this actuator.

Here is the part number again: part number #12646784 $42.64 (delivered) from GM Parts Direct.Com it is the exhaust cam actuator valve.

It is only retained by one bolt..top of engine..should be much easier than changing a spark plug.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Here is a pic of the new exhaust cam actuator...note the rings of screens around the three porting layers and the o'ring and singular retaining bolt. The electrical (top) connection as well is on far end.

It is merely an insertion fit with one o'ring seal and one bolt holding it down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks a lot for the help with this!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Please check the code first to be completely sure, before proceeding further.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Here is a pic of the new exhaust cam actuator...note the rings of screens around the three porting layers and the o'ring and singular retaining bolt. The electrical (top) connection as well is on far end.

It is merely an insertion fit with one o'ring seal and one bolt holding it down.

Just for clarification-

That picture is for the Camshaft Actuator SOLENOID (also called Valve in the parts book). The Camshaft Actuator is timing chain driven AND is another possible cause for the SAME code to be thrown. Less likely and much harder to correct.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looks like a pen to me....next to some strange part!

Could be a lightsaber!!!! :bruce:

Oh..! :willy: I get it !!! :lol:

:leaving:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Finally replaced my exhaust camshaft actuator solenoid today. Took me all of 20 minutes. And I spent most of the time cleaning and blowing the area of particle debris before removing old part.

Disconnected negative battery lead to clear C.E.L. Now it's just a matter of time to see if this fixes it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had this happen once but it was the intake for me. I had the code for the solenoid and a cam shaft position sensor failure but I replaced the 50 dollar 20 min soloniod first as it was the cheapest and easiest and it worked. When mine went I also seen a big drop in hp and response. Remember when diagnosing if it's not obvious to what it is start with electrical then fuel them mechanical. Obviously if on can be ruled out with certainty then go to the next.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Finally replaced my exhaust camshaft actuator solenoid today. Took me all of 20 minutes. And I spent most of the time cleaning and blowing the area of particle debris before removing old part.

Disconnected negative battery lead to clear C.E.L. Now it's just a matter of time to see if this fixes it.
Ok, took it out today, put about 30 miles on ...no C.E.L. but I have driven this before without C.E.L. coming on for over a week! Only time will tell now..not for the impatient... Will keep you informed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
So far so good..probably have put over 100 miles since I changed it. Here's hoping..

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Thanks for the update. Here's hoping it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Been nine days today..and hundreds of miles. Still perfect...here's hoping. I hate the waiting..not for the impatient...I find myself trying not to think about it..it's fixed, it's fixed...is it? I think it it is...you get the idea...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
15 days and counting. Starting to feel good about this. Another week will clinch it for me. Have never gone 3 weeks without the C.E.L. coming on since the problem first developed last March.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts