Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, there have been a lot of new posts and I have been waiting a week to post this and wanted to give each post a day before I butt in but I have a question:

for the past 2 weeks, my check engine light has been coming on and going off about 10 times now. some days it's on all day and the other just one trip. I checked the gas cap and would go to autozone to have it checked but whenever I have time, the light is not on. any suggestions? should I unplug everything under the hood I can and clean and plug back in? My luck it will do this the day I go to get it inspected.

Thanks and sorry of I bumped your post, :willy:
Charlie

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The code will stored in the ECM history. They should be able to give you that with their reader.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The code will stored in the ECM history. They should be able to give you that with their reader.
Agree. Especially if it is that frequent. However, it should also stay on longer. Makes me wonder if the issue is not with the CEL light itself.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
It sounds like you have a recurring "soft" failure. When the ECM recognizes an out of limit condition, it tracks that condition. Once the number or frequency of the out of limit condition exceeds the threshold, the ECM tells the BCM to display the CEL to the driver. In the event that the failure does not reoccur within enough key cycles or period of time, the BCM will turn the CEL off. The code is captured and can be recovered.

If the CEL is flashing, then that indicates STOP and FIX ME NOW because there is an indication of a failure that can cause major mechanical failure to the engine. If the CEL is continuously on, it can indicate any number of problems that are not critical.

The soft CEL display is self correcting if the condition that caused the light to be displayed is no longer detected.

Thus you can see a CEL that will go away over time, and then come back with the next problem.

Pull the code and lets see what it says.:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Time to start the pool, place your bets:

1. Slight leak in air charge system. (including "ballooned IC syndrome)
2. EVAP purge solenoid failure
3. HPFP or fuel rail issue
4. Electrical charging system failure (this one is the long shot, so odds are 6 to 1 against :lol:)

I am placing my bet on #1 to place with #2 to show. :lol:

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Time to start the pool, place your bets:

1. Slight leak in air charge system. (including "ballooned IC syndrome)

I am placing my bet on #1 to place with #2 to show. :lol:
I second your bet on 1. with the distinction of it being a leaking charge tube worm clamp. This is exactly what they do ... let a fart of boost air out, trigger a code, then seal back again when off the gas.

TX06, check the two clamps on the driver side. One on the throttle body end of the rubber pipe and the other at the metal charge tube side of that same rubber pipe. The clamps always seem to go right there.

Easiest of those two is the one right below where it says "TMAP" on this photo (the other one is under the intake manifold overhang and a bitch to get to):

... and this is what happens:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Oh man I'm stupid. :lol:

Is it to late to change my bet?

Here it the new bet line then:

1. Failing CAT
3. Electrical charging system failure (This one is the long shot, so odds are 6 to 1 against. )

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I didn;t know i could retrieve a code unless the light was on or I would never have posted this. My moms Hyundai light went off and she took it to the dealer and they estimated 1600 to change out 4 oxy sensors. I removed them and cleaned them and got the same code, started checking connections and found a loose connector. the idiot at the shop that changed the oil and left a tool on the engine and shut the hood which left a small dent popped the connector loose. I connected it back and the light has been off ever since. So, I figured it might be something simple like this. Thanks so much for the assistance guys. I greatly appreciate it. I'll go get the code checked tonight and will look at the areas you suggested and will holler at you guys tomorrow.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And FYI, it was off all day yesterday and I made 5 trips but was on this morning.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Odds just went up on the CAT.

Get the history codes and report back.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I like a long shot....gotta go with the electrical charging system. (I already had that same situation with the '08)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you had gone to have the codes checked - light on or off. That's why I thought the problem may be with the light itself. Yes, the code is the key to all knowledge....

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday I washed my car and figured I'd hose out the engine compartment. as I was wiping it down, I noticed a loose hose. it's the one that comes off the intake and goes to the air box and to another box which I guess aids in the sound. some sort of reservior. anyway, the clamp was real loose and basically sitting there. I tightened it real good and checked for more and that was the only one. I still haven't got my codes checked but I'll know in a couple days if that did the trick. Here's what I'm talking about:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Yesterday I washed my car and figured I'd hose out the engine compartment. as I was wiping it down, I noticed a loose hose. it's the one that comes off the intake and goes to the air box and to another box which I guess aids in the sound. some sort of reservior. anyway, the clamp was real loose and basically sitting there. I tightened it real good and checked for more and that was the only one. I still haven't got my codes checked but I'll know in a couple days if that did the trick.
That connection is between the MAF sensor and the throttle body, so it could be letting in extra unmetered air into the engine, which could generate the CEL. That connection is to the intake resonator, which only serves to quiet the intake sound.

The resonator can be removed, but you need to plug the whole in the intake tube if you do remove the resonator.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was wondering if all that was there for was to tone the sound down. so what do you guys use to cap it off? I guess I could get a PVC cap and use that. Or cut a circle out of wood and then wrap some electrical tape around it tohelp seal it off. Hmm, I'll experiment with that some.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Some folks have cut the rubber piece from mallett.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts