Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after work I filled my car up for the second time... started it drove home fine about a 4min ride. parked it in the drive way came out tried to start it twice and nothing... then check engine light came on.. let it sit a minute then it started up. I read in my owners manual that the light will come on if you don't tighten the gas cap tight enough (emissions stuff?).. so I tightened it up and it's start 2 other times fine haven't drove it sense.

is this a common thing to happen?
why would it have not turned over twice?
when will the gas light turn back off if nothing is wrong?

i'm a new solstice owner pls help i'm worried.

thanks.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Clean the battery connections and make sure they're good and tight! These cars do really weird things when it's not making 100% contact. I've read other posts where the tach and speedo will jump, the lights go out, etc....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah he's right. You also might want to get a battery test. If the connections are tight and the battery is going bad weird things also happen due to inconsistent voltage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
I see you have an 06 Sol. If it has the factory battery it's due for a change.

If the ECM sees an issue, it stores the trouble code. If it reoccurs or is a significant error, the ECM will tell the BCM to turn on the check engine light.

A steady CEL indicates a non emergency issue. Generally these will go away after about 6 key cycles. Like leaving the gas cap off.

For a critical fault, the car may go into low power mode. Or for situations that might cause damage, the ECM may shut down the engine.

If the CEL is on continuously, it can be ignored until it goes away, or until you get it read.

If the CEL is flashing, stop immediately or it will shut down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I did about 6 key cycles and the check engine light is off... so random. Since I just bought the car i probably should go ahead and replace the battery. I'm sure it's the same one and it's probably 7 years old now.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Auto zone will read the codes for free. Here is a link to Engine Codes.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/list-gm-odb-codes-53796/

Last week mine check engine came on and it was an EVAP code (we have a DashHawk reader) and some how my gas cap had loosened itself just slightly. It had been over a week since I had filled up but tightened it back down and no problem since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts