Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accelerated my '07 GTX up to highway speed today and the "check engine" light came on. I went to Autozone and they said it was either a bad injector; bad fuel pressure regulator; bad fuel pump; or a bad gasket in the regulator area. The car has 85,000 miles and runs as it should without any missing or other bad behavior. There is no fuel leaking anywhere, so it has to be internal. I am guessing the gasket issue. Any suggestions? Yes, I got on it, but not to the floor. Man, repair parts are expensive on this car!
I also found out that I have Koni adjustable rear shocks. I turned the screws all the way in, and it rides somewhat better now. I will bet that the former owner of this car is a member of the Solstice Forum.

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Check your oil for gas. The high pressure fuel pump can fail and leak gas into the oil.

Reset the code and see if it returns. We see spurious codes occasionally

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob, thanks for the info. I think I can smell a hint of gas in the oil. I am trying to figure out how that happens.
Larry Rice

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
What's the code? Need that to help you!!!

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
If you THINK you have gas in your oil, get it checked before you continue to drive the car.

The high pressure fuel pump is mechanically driven and has direct access to the oil system in the motor. Several owners have reported that the seal on the bottom of the HPFP has failed and allowed gas to flow directly into the motor oil. Unfortunately, the HPFP can begin leaking gas before it totally fails and gas in the oil can destroy its lubricating properties.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your assistance. Unfortunately, I erased the trouble code. My family smells gas in the oil, but the dipstick does not show an increase in the oil level. I think I can make the code return just by taking the car up to speed quickly. I will take it to the dealer that I bought it from. Not much different than when I worked on a '55 Buick at the gas station where I worked. The dipstick showed liquid al the way up to the top of the stick!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Agree with Rob on this one I personally would not risk driving the car if your smelling gas in the oil especially for any distance let alone brisk acceleration you could possibly wipe out the bearings among other things .A tow to a service garage is a lot cheaper then replacing an engine .

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Just a small amount of gas in the oil will cause you to lose the lubrication properties of the oil.You wouldn't necessarily see the oil reading higher on the dipstick. You could chance it but like Sting Ya stated, a tow is cheaper.

Did AutoZone give you the number of the code they read???

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Let me ask one more question. Do you have the GMPP tune? Do you have 3bar MAP sensors? If you do, they will have one screw holding them in your Intercooler tubing on the driver's side. If you do, have you checked to make sure that your connections are soldered and not crimped? Just trying to throw "cheaper" solutions out there before you go to the dealer!!! This can also give the code for fuel pump related issues. All oil will have some exhaust smell if it's older oil. There is a difference between raw gas smell and exhaust gas smell in oil though and it can be a bit harder to tell the difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright guys sorry for bringing a new thing But if you have some time since you know about the solstice i'd like to share my problem and see if you have any hint ! :) thanks and sorry larry rice !

So I have a 07 GXP with 113k miles, i bought the car 4k miles ago. First thing I have to do a timing chain change, with that done the car was perfect for 4 months with only an Exhaust camshaft solenoid to change. When suddenly I started to have a loss of power issue, the first code was the MAF P0017 I believe or something like this, I check the sensor and it was pretty bad so I replaced for a new one but this took 2 weeks to arrived and i was driving on it. This new MAF installed, I tho it was done but check engine light came on again saying that the engine was running too lean and that there were too much air. So I took it to the mechanic but before that I noticed that the pct valve on the right side of the motor ( the little thing going to the intake near the MAF ) was messed up badly and had some glue ( I guess someone before me try to do a cheap fix ), the mechanic told me it was not that causing the issue but maybe the intake itself. So I went to another mechanic to get another point of view when suddenly I turn on the car and the engine misfired and stalled. I had to restart it 7 times, and I was worried about driving it. So I arrived to the other mechanic, and I asked to check for any vacuum leak or any sort of leak but he told me there were none. They kept it for a week trying a bunch of stuff, changing spark plugs and coil (2 out of 4) , but the problem was still there, a bit less but still the issue. So they find out that the engine oil had some debris so they opened it up cleaned it and the Oil pump was messed up so they changed it. I drove the car home, did a couple of miles and here we go again, service engine light and loss of power... So I ordered and changed the two other coil today hoping it would fix the issue but nah... I lost hope guys... I love this car but i'm going to have to get ride of it, it cost too much... Oh yeah and also the mechanic said that mmmh something that is part of the turbo on the right side too under the intake took a shock and it might be this or even a valve problem ( did a muffler delete and tho the backfiring was normal ) because sometimes when i shift I hear like a popping sound (not sure if under me or near the exhaust). SO if you have any idea i'd be glad to hear them !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! and I thought I had problems! Anyway, I took my car to Bill Roberts Chevrolet and they agreed (after an $85 charge) with your suggestions. I need a high pressure fuel pump. I found one on ebay for $200. After an oil/filter change and new pump, I should be okay for some time.
It is good to share your experiences with all of us. It saves us lots of time and money.
Larry Rice

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
What are your new codes? Lois....have you replaced the cam shaft (intake and exhaust) solenoids? Generally when you get the camshaft code, it's because your solenoids need to be replaced....very easy and about $70/each. Replace them both at the same time...if one went bad, it's just a matter of a little bit before the other will go bad. One screw on each and their connector. That's it.

P0017 is intake or exhaust camshaft solenoid IMSMC, not your MAF!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts