Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Interesting. I've always liked the concept but I could not figure out who it was geared towards. I wonder what they will do to change it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not surprising, shooting brakes have never been terribly popular and a four cyl engine still shrieks "economy". Years ago I had a Pontiac Astre SW with a very rare "Safari" (Pontiac version of the Nomad) trim kit that was a really nice little car once it had a steel sleeved engine. Have also always thought that the 1973 Volvo 1800ES was the prettiest of that line.

However if they are pitching it as "crossover" then the standard today in the US is at least a 3.5 l V-6.

Now with gas prices going through the U$2/gal mark, by 2006 ithe Nomad may be perfect but today's economy still demands gigantic versions of the Great American Land Barge (GALB). That the fed still treats them as "trucks" with reduced safety and mpg requirements is just "aiding and abetting".

One or the reasons I parked the Fiero and started driving a Reatta (bigger Fiero) was because too many Navigators did not see me in the next lane (my roof was below their window sill line) despite the air horns.

Have almost always had at least one station wagon, even when I was single and in college (tow car for the Corvette, great for pulling in backwards at the drive-in (do they still have drive-ins ?). Today our preferred trip car is the TranSport (3800 / 23 mpg) which is, AFAIAC, the modern station wagon and is usually outfitted as a two seater with a luggage rack.

So while the Nomad is interesting, unless it can convert to a pickup for transporting bulky objects, the question is "Why would enough people want a 1953 show car with a four cyl engine ?" The kit car boom went bust a decade ago.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't know what is wrong with people. I think the Nomad is a great concept. A sport coupe with utility. A Mini that you can actualy put something in. It's a car urban Americans need, they just don't know it yet. I love the way it looks too. Someone wondered who the car was targeted for and I guess that would be me. I'm actualy glad that the Nomad and Solstice aren't debuting at the same time. It would be a tough choice for me. I want the Solstice because I have never had a roadster before, and it's time, but the Nomad fits my lifestyle much better. My plan was to get the Solstice first and if the excitement of the roadster wears off, or proves to be impractical to live with, then I would trade for the Nomad. I hope they don't give up on the Nomad, but If I'm the only one out there, than I guess they have to. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree. The Nomad is a great concept. I would like to have a smaller vehicle that could haul things. At the prices they are talking about, why not get a Solstice and a Nomad???

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have been on both the turnpike and I-4 in a crowd and our TranSport is the smallest vehicle we have that you have a chance for see anything other than the SUV tailgates in all three lanes.

Am curious. Gas just passed $1.85/gallon for regular here. How do people afford to feed those monsters ? Only reason they escape the gas guzzler tax is because of a loophole that classes them as trucks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
padgett said:
Have been on both the turnpike and I-4 in a crowd and our TranSport is the smallest vehicle we have that you have a chance for see anything other than the SUV tailgates in all three lanes.

Am curious. Gas just passed $1.85/gallon for regular here. How do people afford to feed those monsters ? Only reason they escape the gas guzzler tax is because of a loophole that classes them as trucks.

adjusted for inflation, gas is cheaper now that in the early 80s. its not that expensive anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally think its pretty damn cool. I would love to get the solstice when it comes out but the nomad is right up there with it as my first choice for a new car

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bizz said:
adjusted for inflation, gas is cheaper now that in the early 80s. its not that expensive anyway.

gas is not that expensive? Well you must be doing allright in the $$ department.
It cost me $55 to fill up the tank in my 02 GMC Sierra, and a tank last maybe 4-5 days. I probably spend $400 a month in gas.

·
Registered
281 Posts
61BelAir said:
gas is not that expensive? Well you must be doing allright in the $$ department.
It cost me $55 to fill up the tank in my 02 GMC Sierra, and a tank last maybe 4-5 days. I probably spend $400 a month in gas.
i dont wanna butt heads or anything dude. :) but, that doesnt mean its expensive. you spend a lot every month because you use a lot. if that 400 a month is based on, lets say, $2 a gallon, and the price went down to $1.80 a gallon, you would still pay $360 a month. or, ten dollars a week less than you do now.

im glad i dont have to spend that much every month! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bizz said:
i dont wanna butt heads or anything dude. :) but, that doesnt mean its expensive. you spend a lot every month because you use a lot. if that 400 a month is based on, lets say, $2 a gallon, and the price went down to $1.80 a gallon, you would still pay $360 a month. or, ten dollars a week less than you do now.

im glad i dont have to spend that much every month! :D
I wouldn't butt heads with you, its just that in Cali where everyone has to commute and with double income families(meaning more than one car) the gas bill can really be quite staggering.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
61BelAir said:
I wouldn't butt heads with you, its just that in Cali where everyone has to commute and with double income families(meaning more than one car) the gas bill can really be quite staggering.
Leave the Sierra at home. Get a small commuter car until the Solstice comes out. I've driven small cars for decades and it allows me to ignore gas prices. Recently it has caught my attention though, it now costs me $20 bucks to fill up! For years it was about $11 to $13. Sucks, that extra cost is cutting into my beer money! :mad

·
Registered
25 Posts
AeroDave said:
Leave the Sierra at home. Get a small commuter car until the Solstice comes out. I've driven small cars for decades and it allows me to ignore gas prices. Recently it has caught my attention though, it now costs me $20 bucks to fill up! For years it was about $11 to $13. Sucks, that extra cost is cutting into my beer money! :mad
My next car will definitely have a four cylinder. Only problem is the small commuter cars aren't made for us big guys! i'm 6'2" and about 275
and i just don't fit that well into most small cars. From what i've heard though, the Solstice is actually quite roomy for its size, so I can't wait until 2006! NOT THE BEER MONEY! UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
61BelAir said:
My next car will definitely have a four cylinder. Only problem is the small commuter cars aren't made for us big guys! i'm 6'2" and about 275
and i just don't fit that well into most small cars. From what i've heard though, the Solstice is actually quite roomy for its size, so I can't wait until 2006! NOT THE BEER MONEY! UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH!
You might check out the Honda Civic. My best friend fits your specs and drove a '93 for years. They actually have alot of headroom and the seats go way back. Used ones can be had pretty cheap and they last forever. Might be a good call until the Solstice comes. Just a thought.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts