Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/03/pf/autos/chevrolet_hhr.reut/index.htm

Chevy is going to introduce their HHR wagon at the LA autoshow this week. It was designed by the same guy who designed the PT Cruiser, and many think it looks basically like a Chevy knockoff of the PT-C.

As I was reading about it, and checking it out, I couldn't help but think if GM really wanted a retro-wagon type of vehicle, they should have gone with the Kappa based nomad instead of this. I thought the Nomad looked better and was much more original.

As for the HHR, it is based on the Delta platform, and therefore could have the possibility to have the 2.0L S/C Ecotec. At least that should give it some grunt. If its going to compete with the PT Turbo, it will need it too.

Also, I read in the Detoit News that GM plans to fly it and a custom one done by West Coast Customs (from MTV's Pimp my Ride) from the LA show to Detroit in time for the NAIAS as well.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah I agree it's a definate knok-off, but I think it's something GM/Chevy needs. Gives them a small MPV based off a platform they have already so they can keep costs down. The small, cheap MPVs seem to be popular now adays with the youth. Like the Honda CR-V, Scion xB, and a couple others.

As you said too it lets them easily produce a higher performance version just by dropping the Supercharged 2.0L engine in there just like the ION RL and Cobalt SS which are this exact platform.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
They'll miss a great opportunity if they don't offer a panel version. Have seen many a PT Cruisers in light livery service with logo's on the side. With this looking more like an old Surburban, a vehicle that's basically a panel truck with windows, going backward and selling a windowless HHR is a natural.

An early fifties panel is more sought after than a window van. I could see myself owning a panel HHR to complement my Solstice, both painted the same and matching wheels.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
This guy is making a career out of this retro truck design. Somebody better warn Ford he's heading their way next :smash

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It's a rip off in concept only. It really doesn't look like a PT at all. I think it looks more like a Durango. Looks OK, I bet it looks better in person. Seems like it's functional enough. They should have done this instead of the Aztek back then.

Like the chopped roof on the West Coast version, but prefer the stock in everything else. It should sell OK. DreamerDave is right, they should make a panel version, maybe even a two door chop-top panel. :D Also agree with Fformula88, I think the Nomad is much cooler.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like the styling and while it shares the same design concept as the PT, it looks much better and should be more functional due to the added size. The stupid antenna on top should have been placed at the rear. Love the rims. I wouldn't buy it because I do not need more than 2 seats and I want a sportscar, but I can see a young family in one. I wish I could see it next to a current vehicle for size reference.

DreamerDave's idea of a panel truck should be submitted to GM somehow, they could also sell it for fleets. It would make a great, fuel efficient, light duty hauler.

Is that a Vibe steering wheel with a Chevy emblem?

Too bad CNN gave it a nasty write up...that never helps anything.
Clearly GM was looking for a similar idea to the PT since they used the same designer. People will automatically assume it's a copy, GM should have known this would happen right from the beginning and come up with some more "fresh" ideas. I hope it works.

On another note, GM can use this vehicle as part of its truck fleet which will raise the CAFE rating for trucks. DCX did the same thing with the PT. Slick eh?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with you guys that GM needs a smaller MPV such as this. The Vibe has proven fairly popular, but it is a little underpowered IMO for many potential buyers. I think they will be able to sell their expected volume. Hopefully it won't just canabalize sales from other smaller GM vehicles, and actually attract a few new buyers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts