Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some speculation as to Chevy getting a roadster on the Kappa platform. I asked a GM Vehicle Line Executive about that this weekend. His view was that Chevy would not be getting a kappa roadster. GM has been down the road of every division getting the every car in slightly different form. It doesn't make economic sense.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Badge Management

We can hope that with the close of the Oldsmobile name the guys at General Motors have learned something about the cost of "Badge Management" I define that as the cost of putting different name badges on the same basic car. Remember the Chevy Citation, with the Cadillac badge and the fluffy seats? It did nothing to improve the Chevy Citation and only made the Cadillac name look cheap.

Don’t get me wrong, the Kappa platform should/will be used by all divisions of General Motors, as it should be. But as a customer please let each division build from that platform a vehicle that honors the men and women their division represents.

Solstice is a Pontiac let it be that with pride for both the people of Pontiac Motor Division and the customers that have chosen it as their pride.

In simplicity is beauty. Thanks again for the site.
:patriot

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He seemed to like the basic idea of the Nomad. We didn't speak a lot on that topic though. I was a little distracted as we were driving a C6 Corvette through back country Kentucky roads at a decent clip! :D

He did seem quite interested in the discussions here and how excited everyone was to get into a Solstice. He definitely thinks it's going to be a hit.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing that I've picked up from some other GM guys is that the 20k price seems to have been put out there by Lutz without it having gone through normal approval processes. I didn't catch any hints that it wouldn't be accurate, just that it might not have been under 20k if Bob hadn't announced that price and the media hadn't picked up on it so enthusiastically.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Troy Roberts said:
One thing that I've picked up from some other GM guys is that the 20k price seems to have been put out there by Lutz without it having gone through normal approval processes. I didn't catch any hints that it wouldn't be accurate, just that it might not have been under 20k if Bob hadn't announced that price and the media hadn't picked up on it so enthusiastically.
Thanks to Bob for jumping the gun on that. :smile Maybe after year 2 the price will go up.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
More fuel for the under 20=bare bones, 22+="as tested" camp.

At least they no longer make an AM radio and the heater as optional...but in those days they didn't charge for "delivery or dealer prep."

Know my son would buy a Nomad if they built it, especially an SS version!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think Chevy should definatly build the Nomad concept. Would'nt compete with Solstice or Corvette and give Chevy a very hip niche car. They should possition it against the Mini and Scion. IMO it has the potential to blow those cars away.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'd personally want them to work on a Nomad IF AND ONLY IF it doesn't divert resources from building nothing but the best Solstice possible.

Also goes for a Saturn, or a Saab, or any other additional add-on vehicles: Getting the Solstice into production in the absolute best possible form is FIRST AND FOREMOST THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT PONTIAC AND GM CAN DO.

Emphasis added for those from GM that read these posts. Get the Solstice launched, flawlessly if possible. Get it into the hands of customers and make sure you fix everything, EVERYTHING they complain about. Then think about follow-on programs, like Saturns and nomads and curves and other vehicles that have a tendency to be a little more styling-riskier.

(I say that because my informal questioning of many folks tend to place the Nomad in a polarizing design category. 2/3 like it and 1/3 are either so-so or don't like it). Look for an upcoming poll soon...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Ya,

Saw that one, but didn't know how many of those on this forum (which is very high on the Solstice enthusiast list) also actively participate on C&G.

Also, that poll assessed only which in order people thought was better. I figured an individual poll of each vehicle might be interesting and revealing - on a 6 pt. rating scale for several vehicles that could potentially be "kappa" based.

I think that poll gets a good overall ranking, and would imply that GM is doing the right thing: building the solstice, maybe looking at a VX lightning-looking saturn, and maybe coming down the pike a Nomad, but before the Curve (if rumor is correct, otherwise they may be building the Curve before a lightning or a nomad). It doesn't address the issue of whether a design is well-liked by most v. a design that some people really like but the majority really aren't excited about.

Thank god they didn't want to build the Sky as it was several auto shows ago! :crazy

And you GM lurkers out there can join in... throw your $.02 in!!! We know you're reading this dribble and giggling at us...:cheers

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
I'd personally want them to work on a Nomad IF AND ONLY IF it doesn't divert resources from building nothing but the best Solstice possible.
:agree

I love the Nomad and hope they build it, but Solstice first. Get it right then move on.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am surprised that they have been so hesitant on the Nomad because it is a great concept! I know some show-goers have poo-poo'd the look, but others have also thought it was great. A really good design is going to polarize, and there will be some people who do not like it. But this car, and really the Kappa platform, are niche vehicles built in relatively low volumes and sold based on styling. If Chrysler can move 100K+ PT Cruisers a year, then Chevy could easily sell 20K Nomads a year, even if some people didn't like it.

I also think having Chevy fully on board might help Solstice development, since a lot of that development goes to the common chasis and running gear. Theoretically, they would have more people and money to improve the chasis and running gear because the support would be comming out of more than one budget line. I know it doesn't always work that way, especially with the General, but one can dream! :lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts