Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!!

I was saving my pennies and my dimes to buy me a brand new Solstice---when BAM!!!

I saw in Chevy High Performance that chevy is working on it's own version. What gives? Does chevy have to have everything??They already have a 2 seat roadster--the CORVETTE!-- Why can't we let them have the AZTEK? It's like the guys in the boardrooms at GM don't seem to understand that people buy a different car to be different. I hate it when people say "nice Camaro" to me. How do you mistake a 73 formula for a camaro? If chevy bulds it's own version of the Slostice, I won't buy one.

Does anyone know how I can get this message to the honchos at GM? I'll write them a letter as soon as I find out how...........

thakns

re-animator

·
Registered
15 Posts
re-animator said:
Hey!!

I was saving my pennies and my dimes to buy me a brand new Solstice---when BAM!!!

I saw in Chevy High Performance that chevy is working on it's own version. What gives? Does chevy have to have everything??They already have a 2 seat roadster--the CORVETTE!-- Why can't we let them have the AZTEK? It's like the guys in the boardrooms at GM don't seem to understand that people buy a different car to be different. I hate it when people say "nice Camaro" to me. How do you mistake a 73 formula for a camaro? If chevy bulds it's own version of the Slostice, I won't buy one.

Does anyone know how I can get this message to the honchos at GM? I'll write them a letter as soon as I find out how...........

thakns

re-animator
I can tell you for a fact that Chevrolet is not building a two seater off of the Kappa platform. The Chevrolet that you may be referring to is a 2 + 2 and it is the Nomad.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yes, 2 other models based on the Kappa platform. The Nomad is the car on the left of this picture and will seat 4 in picture in the gallery. The other is Saturn Curve.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Agreed Spoon. I like the fact that so far, any intentions for other models built on the Kappa are completely different animals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't trust the Chevy clan. They've bullied every other GM brand forever. They're probably behind Pontiac leaving NASCAR,too. Two championships in three years, then they pull the plug??? They're all in chevys now.....I smell a rat.

I'm glad to hear they're not getting one. I'm still a bit reserved, but I' not going to stop saving my $$$$. I think this car is beautiful, it sounds like it'll be fun to drive, and it's got the Ecotec motor, so I think it'll be good for hot rodding.

until then, I'll be waiting!

re-animator

·
Registered
27 Posts
re-animator said:
I don't trust the Chevy clan. They've bullied every other GM brand forever. They're probably behind Pontiac leaving NASCAR,too. Two championships in three years, then they pull the plug??? They're all in chevys now.....I smell a rat.

I'm glad to hear they're not getting one. I'm still a bit reserved, but I' not going to stop saving my $$$$. I think this car is beautiful, it sounds like it'll be fun to drive, and it's got the Ecotec motor, so I think it'll be good for hot rodding.

until then, I'll be waiting!

re-animator
Pontiac pulled out of NASCAR because since chevy and pontiac are under the same company, why not concentrate the Monte Carlo on NASCAR and then dump the money that was going towards Pontiac in NASCAR towards getting the GTO in some kind of racing series. Personally I liked to see the Grand Prix in NASCAR, but if they are going to use that money towards getting the GTO in racing, fine by me. A GM car is a GM car as long as they are winning in any kind of racing series and remain the car to beat on Sunday. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
81 Posts
mceb said:
Yes, 2 other models based on the Kappa platform. The Nomad is the car on the left of this picture and will seat 4 in picture in the gallery. The other is Saturn Curve.

Actually, THREE other Kappa variants.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nomad front end

I assume you older guys recognized the Nomad's grill immediately, although it hasn't been inside a showroom since
around 1957 in the Chevy Corvette. I was wondering if it matches the '57 Vette grille exactly, because I couldn't see
any difference from the '57 grill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re Chevy Solstice

Has anyone seen this on Popular Mechanics Site?

Popular Mechanics Detroit Spy Reports

2006 Chevrolet Roadster

Chevrolet has plans for a small 2-seat roadster similar in size and layout to the Pontiac Solstice. As yet unnamed, the new vehicle will be built on the same Kappa chassis that GM has assigned to the Saturn Curve, Chevy Nomad and Solstice. This enhanced photo shows some of the styling differences between the Solstice and the Chevrolet. At the side, there's a prominent scar in the front fender, which is similar in theme to the Corvette. In the rear, styling is more subdued than the Solstice. Not seen here is a thin horizontal bar in the front that splits the grille in the traditional Chevy fashion with the gold Bowtie escutcheon in the center.

The concept is being referred to as "Son of Corvette," as it borrows styling cues from that Chevy icon. The car is intended to be inexpensive, have an open top and be fun to drive. Those nacelles that fit behind the headrests on the Pontiac Solstice show up on this model too. You might wonder why General Motors would develop two similar cars of the same size from different divisions. The company intends to spread its platforms around to different divisions as a way of keeping costs down. In keeping with that platform-sharing philosophy, the little Chevy gets the same 4-cylinder engine and rear-wheel-drive powertrain as its cousin, the Pontiac Solstice.

I hope the hyperlink and picture I attached work. If not you will just have to cut and paste to go to Popular Mechanics. I like the looks of the cut outs in the doors.

I was going to get a used Z3 or Miata but I am waiting for a Solstice or Chevy Roadster.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Looks nice but no word if it will make the cut at GM (many divisions have Kappa concepts or rumors of them). Many people think since Chevy already has the Vette it would not make sense.

·
Registered
192 Posts
IIRC, the rumored Chevy was being called the Sportster. I imagine it's in wait 'n' see mode at GM. If the Solstice is super hot, they'll try to cash in quickly. But they're smart not to over plan at this point.

·
Registered
192 Posts
theBike45 said:
I assume you older guys recognized the Nomad's grill immediately, although it hasn't been inside a showroom since around 1957 in the Chevy Corvette. I was wondering if it matches the '57 Vette grille exactly, because I couldn't see any difference from the '57 grill.
Ever wonder what a Solstice with a classic Corvette grille would look like?

Of course the original Nomad in the 50s took styling cues from the Corvette. Chevy's havin' some fun with nostalgia.

·
Registered
284 Posts
robrecht said:
IIRC, the rumored Chevy was being called the Sportster.
That's the name that's been spread around, however GM already has a car by that name being sold by Opel, so they would have to call it something different to keep from any confusion. I'm sure that Chevy will get something based off of Kappa, but I don't expect it to look or feel like the Solstice.

As far as talking about Pontiac getting out of NASCAR and what-not, I couldn't really care less if the "Grand Prix" is in NASCAR or not. NASCAR hasn't had any real cars for a long long time now. Show me how a production Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Taurus and Intrepid ALL LOOK THE SAME!!!!!! THEY DON'T!!!!! Show me any of these vehicles with manual transmissions, RWD or big beefy V8s!!!!! THERE ARE NONE!!!!! These "Stock" cars have nothing stock about them. They don't even have real headlights, just stickers. I'd get a lot more enthused about NASCAR if they were out there racing real cars like they used to in the 60's and 70's. I'm also not all that much into the "drive fast, turn left" scenario. The only production vehicle that even looks remotely like it's NASCAR counterpart is the Monte Carlo.
Okay, rant off.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
simmonsmb said:
That's the name that's been spread around, however GM already has a car by that name being sold by Opel, so they would have to call it something different to keep from any confusion.
You sure about that? I know there is an Opel Speedster but I've never heard of an Opel Sportster. Either way, Opels aren't sold in the United States, so who's to say they wouldn't call it a Chevy Sportster or Speedster here? The only thing I see possibly preventing a car company using the name Sportster is maybe trademark infringement on Harley Davidson.

Either way, I'm with you in that giving another home soil GM subsidiary the Kappa and allowing them to build a roadster wouldn't be a good move. You'd think GM would have learned that by now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts