Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
olstice ("Baby Car")
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my solstice in perfect shape. Like new. Garaged for years in the Nevada desert. 36000 original miles. Just your basic dark blue 2006. The suspension underneath still has the tags hanging off of it.
I noticed the speed odometer didn’t work when I was allowed to take it all day for a test drive. I did a carfax report on it and last recorded maintenance was a thousand miles previous which included new tires too.
it crossed my mind that there may be some issues due to it sitting and not being driven for years.
I didn’t care. It was beautiful and low miles and only $5000!
my OBD2 said the speed sensor was bad. No biggie. Bought a speed sensor and found a shop that would install my part. I tried to myself but I was having a terrible time maneuvering underneath the car. Even though it was up on ramps. I couldn’t get a straight answer about where the speed sensor was even located. I put a drive shaft in my Subaru by myself-why couldn’t I replace the speed sensor too? (I’m a woman- this is why the driveshaft is a feat for me).
well the reason I couldn’t is because the solstice isn’t as common as a Subaru Forester. Therefore it’s difficult to find any tutorials or videos and repairs.
bottom line is rodents chewed the wiring to the speed sensor. Makes sense. Why would a speed sensor go bad only 36000 miles into the cars life. 3 hours of wire repair later, fixed. The shop still only charged me for the install. Even though The speed sensor wasn’t installed. Cheaper though. I knew and it did cross my mind when I saw mice poop in the engine compartment, I may have issues. Like, although the tires were brand new 1000 miles previous (according to carfax) they had to be replaced because they were cracking due to the hot dry Nevada climate.
All in all- all is well and as soon as it stops snowing in Tahoe I’m going for a test drive in the middle of the night around the lake! 😂

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
1,934 Posts
go over it well and see if there was any left over mice food that needs repairing.and give the tires a good look in the light .if the top is up or down and you want to put it up or down do it slowley if it hasent been moved in a long time. sunshime may help some. good luck and have a blast in it when it's ready.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out! Yeah wireing on any modernish car can be a nightmare when it has issues.

Now we need some pictures of you Blue Soul!

Reactions: agent008

·
Administrator
10,688 Posts
AND there are reports that as more plastics are being made from bio sources, there is a larger degree of "attraction" to rodents in the wiring jacket.
Maybe it would be beneficial for the plastics manufacturers to include the bio source "habanero" in their formulation as a rodent repellent.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
When I bought my Sol in '18 I totally cleaned it out as soon as I got it home. I noticed dryer sheets in a lot of hidden places so I assumed it had been kept somewhere that mice were an issue. The only places that I found any damage was under the plastic engine cover where they chewed at the insulation blanket and in the trunk where they ate a hole in the rubber sleeve that protects the wiring going from the body to the deck lid. I feel lucky that they didn't eat into any of the wiring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts