Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Articles/articleId=104768

Edmunds.com is reporting that GM is already beginning to work on a new full size FWD car platform to debut around 2010. The cars based off of it will replace the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS, both of which should go on sale by next year. It will accommodate V6 and V8 engines.

I wonder why they would stick to FWD for a full size platform, since Chrysler has shown there is interest in RWD in combination with V8 motors, where as GM’s FWD V8 in the Aurora and more recently the Bonneville have not sold all that well.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
So we've got Kappa, Delta, and now Chi so far. Are there any other Greek lettered platforms GM has?

I'm guessing GM has reasons to stick with the FF style body chasis. They've supposedly mastered the effects of Torque Steering, it can keep costs down, and in certain driving conditions FF can be safer then FR.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
brentil said:
So we've got Kappa, Delta, and now Chi so far. Are there any other Greek lettered platforms GM has?

I'm guessing GM has reasons to stick with the FF style body chasis. They've supposedly mastered the effects of Torque Steering, it can keep costs down, and in certain driving conditions FF can be safer then FR.
Oh, there are more! :D

Chi: (2010 Lucerne, 2010 DTS)
Delta: (Ion Redline, Cobalt)
Epsilon: (Saab 9-3, Malibu, G6, Aura)
Kappa (Solstice, Sky, Opel)
Lambda (a new FWD/AWD Crossover vehicle architecture and possibly next gen minivans too)
Sigma: (CTS, STS, SVX)
Theta: (Vue, Equinox, Torrent)
Zeta: (2007+ GTO, Camaro, Velite, probably others)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Chi CHi CHi a

So the chia cars can only be sold around the holidays and come in a base clay pot color that gradually turns green in the rain. :lol:

BTW the new Buick Lacrosse is RWD, isn't it?

·
Registered
397 Posts
No the Lacrosse is FWD.

Packaging is a big reason to stick with FWD, on a big car where interior volume matters, FWD allows more of it. I do, however, think that any company coming out with a new FWD platform would be foolish to not make it at least AWD capable. Lucerne should be a nice car with an optional Northstar 8...I think this replaces the LeSabre and Park Ave?

·
Registered
397 Posts
:cheers: Since we have the whole greek alphabet, when is the frat party? I think they need a minivan with a kegerator!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
:cheers: Since we have the whole greek alphabet, when is the frat party? I think they need a minivan with a kegerator!
I'm in, but hope you like Canadian beer. (Our little town consumes more of John Labatt's finest than any town in the state of PA and the state of PA consumes more than..you get the pitcher, er picture :cheers:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm in, but hope you like Canadian beer. (Our little town consumes more of John Labatt's finest than any town in the state of PA and the state of PA consumes more than..you get the pitcher, er picture
Absolutely, I lived in and went to college in Michigan so Labatt is no stranger to me! Blame Canada... :lol:

Sounds like fun town you have there.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
achieftain said:
So the chia cars can only be sold around the holidays and come in a base clay pot color that gradually turns green in the rain. :lol: ...
Man, you're messin' up my head :willy: :lol:

I had to try reading this, and that stupid chia song kept creeping in - had to keep saying it quitely to myself.

It's pronounced "kai", not "chee-ah".

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
Man, you're messin' up my head :willy: :lol:

I had to try reading this, and that stupid chia song kept creeping in - had to keep saying it quitely to myself.

It's pronounced "kai", not "chee-ah".
yea, but it's more fun to say chi chi chia :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its going to take a long time to spread those chia seads over a full size sedan! :willy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts