Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you put a Chinese water pump in your GM car? Normally I would not either, but for about $60 you can carry around an aftermarket water pump and a timing belt holding tool in case you loose a pump in the boonies. I figure it will last until I can get home and my GM dealer can order a genuine part. What do others think?

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Your car is already rolling around on Chinese wheels - the water pump may be Chinese or Mexican origin anyway.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's true, 'limited' can mean many things. My local shop has been pretty good about accepted some returns from me that they probably shouldn't have.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Does it really matter if it has warranty at all? Its the labor that will screw you, not $56.
Good point. I replaced mine myself so I didn't think about labor. I just hope it is a very long time until I have to do it again.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Autozone has them for $56 with a limited lifetime warranty.
Don't forget you need a water pump tool to keep the timing belt in place while you change the pump.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
So this thread got me thinking why would you carry a spare water pump around for a temporary fix and then go and purchase a correct one ? you end up paying twice for labor . One thing you need to take into account is that the NA motor which I believe you have in both your cars was used in a number of other GM vehicles so I don't think getting one would be a problem . I personally think that one of the water pump failure issues is not maintaining your system and by that I mean flushing and replacing your coolant on a regular basis . I change mine every 3 years with DexCool make sure my hoses are in good condition and add an additive that provides extra lubrication and lowers the coolant temp by a few degrees .To add I go out of my way to avoid buying Chinese products because the stuff is crap ! just look at the chrome wheels on our cars .When I purchase a component for any of my cars I will call the manufacturer if they don't advertise an American made product and ask where was it made .Last year when I was doing the suspension on the Chevelle I was surprised to find out that one of the only companies that manufactures these types of products here is Detriot Speed even Moog is not made here anymore . Bottom line is stuff made in China is not made to the same specs as American products from the materials themselves to the manufacturing processes you get what you pay for .

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
While I understand, and agree with, the “Chinese crap” sentiment, it’s worth noting that *most* stuff that you can buy is made in China - just to varying levels of quality.

What I look for in a part is:

1. OEM, if possible, if it’s drivetrain related. Now, if the OEM part is $100000 and the aftermarket part is $150, I’ll consider my options.

2. Retailer reputation. Do they have a phone number?

Honestly, looking at the original post that started this thread, I have to question the experience level of anyone that considers swapping a waterpump on an LNF OR LE5 on the side of the road. That job redefines non-trivial.

If you find yourself removing an exhaust manifold on the shoulder, I think it’d be cheaper and faster to get a AAA membership (or, preferably, some non-****ty, actually-responsive alternative) and tow it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1,394 Posts
While I understand, and agree with, the “Chinese crap” sentiment, it’s worth noting that *most* stuff that you can buy is made in China - just to varying levels of quality.

What I look for in a part is:

1. OEM, if possible, if it’s drivetrain related. Now, if the OEM part is $100000 and the aftermarket part is $150, I’ll consider my options.

2. Retailer reputation. Do they have a phone number?

Honestly, looking at the original post that started this thread, I have to question the experience level of anyone that considers swapping a waterpump on an LNF OR LE5 on the side of the road. That job redefines non-trivial.

If you find yourself removing an exhaust manifold on the shoulder, I think it’d be cheaper and faster to get a AAA membership (or, preferably, some non-****ty, actually-responsive alternative) and tow it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually the 2.4L does not require removing the exhaust manifold and could be done on the side of the road pretty easily. I have changed 2.4L water pumps in under 30 minutes from start to finish, they are much easier to do than the 2.0L because the lack of the turbo. Probably not something that I would recommend swapping on the side of the road for most people, but if I was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and had the tools, the 2.4L water pump would not be that bad of a job to tackle.

That being said, the 2.4L water pumps are much more uncommon to fail from what we have seen. The heat from the turbo seems to be why the 2.0L water pumps tend to fail at a much higher rate that we have seen.

Also, the water pump failures we have seen have never been catastrophic failures, usually they just start to leak more and more. So if someone was looking for some cheap insurance, it would be better to just carry around some water with you that you could use to replace the leaking coolant until you were able to get somewhere and change the water pump.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
The only time I've replaced the pump was after I'd added the turbo. I could see it being a lot easier with that out of the way.

Of course, with the head removed, it was pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
When the water pump on my 2.4 failed, I was able to buy some coolant and nurse it home (it was a Sunday), and then to the dealer the next day. Glad it didn't happen in the boonies because I have been in the boonies several times with my SKY.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Guess my answer would determinine on finding out who made the OEM pump (and where) and if I was happy enough with the OEM to WANT another one in my car. I was appalled add how crappy the OEM F150 brake rotors were. They looked flaky like parts of the Titanic. A little research told me they were apparently cast in China and machined in USA. I figured if PRC could make my Samsung TVs they could be trusted to machine crappy rotors, too. If something is a good quality US part, that's what I'll replace it with, if GM got it in China that's probably where the replacement will be found, also.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I was appalled add how crappy the OEM F150 brake rotors were. They looked flaky like parts of the Titanic.
It seems like Ford has had almost as many brake issues as Chrysler has had transmission issues. I remember a recall on the two-piece rotors on the Cobra-R due to the hats separating from the discs. Not exactly bleeding-edge technology, there, either...

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/auto-shows/asia/scandal-plagued-japanese-car-industry-looks-to-future-at-tokyo-motor-show/article36700656/

Japan's once-impregnable reputation for quality vehicles has taken a battering. Nissan Motor Co. has just announced plans to suspend local car production and is under regulatory scrutiny after admitting it has used unauthorized safety inspectors. Auto industry supplier Kobe Steel Inc. has fessed up to forging data on aluminum and other materials going back decades. Takata Corp., whose exploding air bags were the subject of the industry's biggest ever recall, filed for bankruptcy in June.

The Kobe Steel is the most troubling to me since they also supplied products to nuclear companies.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kobe-steel-scandal/kobe-steel-sent-products-with-tampered-data-to-second-nuclear-company-idUSKBN1CW0ZW

When it comes to replacement parts I would think the place or parts with the best warranty indicated the manufacture has some confidence in the durability of their products.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/auto-shows/asia/scandal-plagued-japanese-car-industry-looks-to-future-at-tokyo-motor-show/article36700656/

Japan's once-impregnable reputation for quality vehicles has taken a battering. Nissan Motor Co. has just announced plans to suspend local car production and is under regulatory scrutiny after admitting it has used unauthorized safety inspectors. Auto industry supplier Kobe Steel Inc. has fessed up to forging data on aluminum and other materials going back decades. Takata Corp., whose exploding air bags were the subject of the industry's biggest ever recall, filed for bankruptcy in June.

The Kobe Steel is the most troubling to me since they also supplied products to nuclear companies.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kobe-steel-scandal/kobe-steel-sent-products-with-tampered-data-to-second-nuclear-company-idUSKBN1CW0ZW

When it comes to replacement parts I would think the place or parts with the best warranty indicated the manufacture has some confidence in the durability of their products.
It ain't necessarily so. Some manufacturers simply jack up the price of their products to cover the cost of warranty repairs. :frown2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts