Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a key copied for my '06. I shopped around, including GM and the other 'chip' key licencees in Vancouver. Prices ranged from $150 to $ 250. Crazy. BUT I had a phantom call from Accurate Locks on 6th St. in New Westminster, the nearby suburb. They did it all for $50, and threw in the extra 'test' key (not for the ignition) as a bonus. Finally some peace-of-mind having an extra key.
Hmmm...where to hide it? Ideas?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Hmmm...where to hide it? Ideas?
At home in a drawer? That's where most spares are kept. What did you have in mind?

PS - are you from Ocean Falls? That would put you in a very small group of people!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Does Canada have weird laws about duplicating keys?

You could have a duplicate made on the spot at any home improvement store for ~$10 in the US.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
We normally just buy a blank off Ebay and then mate it to the car using the original key in the ignition, otherwise you'd have to go to a locksmith to do it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Same here, though most key cutting places keep common automotive keys such as these in stock as well. Usually $3-5 for the key and another $3 or so to have it cut. Then you can program it yourself.

I was just curious if maybe you needed a federally recognized lock-smithing organization to grant a permit or something, or if I could start a weekend business running duplicated keys across the border into the seedy underbelly of Windsor.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I think I have heard that some dealers are reluctant to sell new keys without programming them, and I don't know that a lot of locksmiths have extensive stocks of the chip style keys (probably a money/inventory thing) so maybe that's why some people get the dealer to do the whole thing?

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
Sorry to hijack but how exactly should I go about duplicating my key for cheap?
  • Buy the proper blank
  • Have it cut to match your key
  • Insert your key into the ignition and power the car, but do not start the engine
  • Turn the key to off and immediately insert the new key
  • Power the car.
If you are handy with a file you can save the cutting charge, but i do not recommend that.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Dealers will not cut a key without proof of ownership, title, bill of sale ect. I just purchased a car that had no key and I had to provide that info to get it cut. Now there was no need to rerun to the dealer to program the key even though all I had was the key they just cut. Simply put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position you will see the security lock in the bottom right of the DIC after 10 minutes give or take a couple of seconds that lock will disappear. Turn the key off trun it back on and wait another 10 for it to again disappear then turn it of and back on for 10 more minutes. at the end of that cycle turn it off and then back on and it will start the car. This is commonly know as the 30 relearn and that same process works for BCM and ECM's on our cars.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I keep an extra key now in my wallet that just opens up the door as i have more than once put the key down in the car while putting things in the hatch & then closed the hatch door with the key laying on the carpet inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts