Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
Sorry but that gray surrounding the grill just does not look good in my opinion.
The rest of the car looks great!

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
She is absolutely stunning. I love the stripe going over the Hard Top. The recessed grills look great. You could paint the grill frame black but it kinda works for me the way you have it. I think she is a masterpiece.:thumbs: Are you happy with the hard top? It looks wicked! I think you have the GXP splitter on your Coupe so you probably know this ...... It is a real magnet for stone chips. I had a clear bra custom cut and put on it. Has worked great to keep it looking mint.
Congrats on an awesome Sol!!!!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Thanks for the comp guys, appreciate it. Found an old SD card w/pics of the cars together and w/the 09 at Woodward Dream Cruise from a couple years back. The numbers on the 09 are magnetic vinyl, they're not normally on the car.

SN, very happy w/the hardtop, can't say I'm as happy w/the paint job on it (couple of paint prep defects), but it's not a show car so I'll live w/it.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Has any one had trouble with Smoothline Hardtops? I ordered my top on March 3rd. I was told it would take 8 to 10 weeks. It has now been 17 weeks and the last two times I called them they haven't returned my calls! I put down more than half but haven't heard a word on my top.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Has any one had trouble with Smoothline Hardtops? I ordered my top on March 3rd. I was told it would take 8 to 10 weeks. It has now been 17 weeks and the last two times I called them they haven't returned my calls! I put down more than half but haven't heard a word on my top.
What you are going through is the norm. Keep calling and eventually you will get Jack. They will come through......eventually ....... and you will love the top.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
It took a total of 19 weeks for mine to arrive. That included having to wait additional time for the optional glass w/defogger rear window because it was on back-order. Along with being shipped the wrong hardtop the first time (Apparently two hardtops had been shipped out on the same day and the address labels were placed on the wrong boxes). That snafu took an additional couple of weeks to get straighten out.

I also called Smoothline a couple times during the wait for a status update, sometimes they would answered the office phone, and sometimes they didn't. But I did get a couple replies regarding status via email. All I can tell you is to leave voice-mails, and follow-up with an emails.

I know the wait sucks, but I was very satisfied with the top once it arrived, and expect you will be too. In fact, I prefer the looks of the car with the hardtop on better than the soft-top down. :cool:

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Few recent pics of our 06 that I recently converted to look like a GXP. I had a local graphic shop replicate the Street Edition stripe in 3M Hotrod red, Smoothline Club Racer Hardtop, Gravanna J2 staggered wheels, Norms GXP lower splitter, and Aftershock ducktail spoiler, and their recessed grills (which may be offered again in the future). I'm not 100% happy with it yet and still consider it a work in progress. And I borrowed my neighbors cheap camera so that's one reason the pic quality isn't that great.

In this pic you can see how the top dips in the center to give it a subtly double bubble hardtop look.

Awesome Job!!

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
I really like the fact that you have done this at all, but the end result is really great. The gray grill is a point of dissruption of the overall design and draws the eye. if that is your intent, then you succeeded. However I think the integrity of the design would benefit from having them match the rest of the car.

I like the idea of your window decal being XX of XX. Maybe I need 1 of 1 for Punisher?

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Thanks Roxer, appreciate the comp. :thumbs:

You're correct Rob, I wanted the eye to be drawn to the recessed grills, it also helps to give the fascia some dimension instead of being/looking totally smooth. Makes me think of someone getting angry and their nostrils flaring. Hey it could of been worse, originally I wanted to have them plastic chromed. But I have them no idea what the composite is, plus the thought of them being lost or damaged in transit killed that idea. Also, the pics make them look like there flat silver but they are gloss silver metallic. The pics don't them justice, the silver looks much better in person.

Still hoping Aftershock follows through on producing new recessed grills. :cool:

7/1/15 Received ASAP Plastic honeycomb driving/turn signal overlays.

Mailed Smoothline pics, they posted them on their Facebook account 7/2/15: https://www.facebook.com/SmoothLineRemovableHardtops

2006 1st 1000 build date: 8/18/05
2009 Coupe build date: 5/13/09

2013 Grand Rapids 28th Street Cruise.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Christmas 2015 Part 2. After waiting for over four weeks I finally received my Hurst shift knob yesterday, it comes w/various size inserts. I'll be using the 12 X 125 to install it on the DDM short shifter.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Here you go, unfortunately, Griots appears to have dropped this item, and I haven't seen anything similar to it online, though I'm sure it's out there. As you can see it has a double articulating arm to provide multiple adjustments. It use a 3M like attachment system, once it's on, it's on. The mirror is convex and works well, if you can train your eye to use it because I sometimes forget that it's there.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
I still do too, but this mirror does work. I noticed it mostly when cars are passing me, plus it helps reminds me and to lean forward and look back before passing. In fact I can sometime see people checking out the coupe in the blind spot mirror while sitting or moving in slow traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack ChopTop, but what kind of wheels are on the Red Coupe.

For FJ Cruisers sold in Japan, actually had something that looks similar, mounted on the fender on top of the wheel well. I guess it works, and lot of the guys try to get them. Like me and my Big mirrors. Best mod I have ever done on my Sky's. And another set was found I guess. The same guy had all of them.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Those are the Q9Y wheels, they were available on the 2009 Street Editions, and were suppose to be offered on the 2010 Heritage Edition. After GM killed Pointiac, they began showing up on Ebay months later, and several of us bought sets. They are very hard to find now.

DaveOC put a list of all available Kappa wheels:

Left Solstice Q9Y, Right Sky Q9Y
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I was thinking I could deal with those. Oh well another one bites the dust. Thanks for the quick response ChopTop.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts