Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
This concept drawing is the reason that the Solstice caught my eye, and while it has been said that the 2002 concept Solstice was confused w/the production car, I don't understand how.

The 2002 concept car validated my interest.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Purchased Cobalt door handles and had them color matched. Unfortunately, it wasn't until after I installed the driver side did I find out that I didn't buy the reinforced version. Along w/taking about four hours and losing door handle bolts, buying the wrong replacement bolts, and then finding the original bolts I lost. Not fun, but I did finally did get the replacement handle installed, and prefer the color matched version over the chrome.

Reinforced version.

Per a forum suggestion I bought JB Weld and reinforced the passenger handle before installation. In hindsight, I should have picked up a hobbyist syringe, it would make applying the JB a lot easier. I also used my Dremel to rough up the area first.

Passenger door installation went much smoother and faster. However, before I reinstalled the interior door panel I thought I should make sure the handle opened the door. Closed the door but it wouldn't open with the exterior door handle, plus I could hear some rattling and this is what I found.

Inner plastic pulled back.

This is the long threaded rod that is rattling around and doesn't appear to go to anything.

And this is the only thing I can see that looks like something was once attached to it. It's only now after looking at the pics that I can see the plastic threads. I did try and see if the thread rod attached to the plastic clip, but the angle of the threaded rod and the angle of the plastic clip do not appear to line up at all.

Luckily, the interior door handle still opens the door. So to recap, I will have to pull the drivers door and reinforce the handle w/JB Weld, and I will have to try and figure out how the thread rod attaches to plastic threaded clip. You know the saying if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. ;)

In spite of all the issues I've had installing these I'm still happier w/the color matched handles.

BTW, tip for not dropping door handle bolts, chewing gum! Works like a charm. At least until I can order these;

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Chop top -
My passenger door handle came off at the 2 bolt end this afternoon. Do you know the Part Numbers for Reinforced Chrome Cobalt handles, both sides?

Yogi

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I actually like the chrome handles on cars like mine where I have purposely kept a red, black, chrome scheme going but on cars like yours the body color handles look great. The handles, headlights, partial debadging coupled with the top on your car looks really good. I'm not usually big on black cars but yours looks really nice. That rim/tire combo really fills the wheel well nicely. Is your car lowered too?

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Yogi, this is the thread I pulled the pics from, it also list the reinforced parts numbers: Door Handle Part numbers - Broken Door handle fix - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Chrome unit-Identical but reinforced - P/N 25869324
Chrome unit - Identical but reinforced - P/N 25869322

I make no claims those numbers are correct. When I ordered mine last year I assumed that all handles being sold would be reinforced by now, I assumed wrong.

CRiggleman, the car is lowered via BC Coilovers. How much I do not know since I paid to have them installed. All I can tell you is that I also have our 09 lowered w/BCs, and the black car is lower than the red car by at least an inch.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yogi, this is the thread I pulled the pics from, it also list the reinforced parts numbers: Door Handle Part numbers - Broken Door handle fix - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Chrome unit-Identical but reinforced - P/N 25869324
Chrome unit - Identical but reinforced - P/N 25869322

I make no claims those numbers are correct. When I ordered mine last year I assumed that all handles being sold would be reinforced by now, I assumed wrong.

CRiggleman, the car is lowered via BC Coilovers. How much I do not know since I paid to have them installed. All I can tell you is that I also have our 09 lowered w/BCs, and the black car is lower than the red car by at least an inch.
Thank you very much, CT!

Yogi

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I've been looking for Halibrand style wheels, most of the ones I've seen do not come in larger sizes or our bolt circle. I recently found a brand called Image Wheels that builds custom wheels to size (England) and asked for a quote in the below sizes.

The price would be as follows.
8.5x19 = £430.00 x 2 = £860.00
9.5x19 = £450.00 x 2 = £900.00
Lock plates = £35.00 x 4 = £140.00
Spinners = £45.00 x4 = £140.00
Shipping via T.N.T = £400.00
TOTAL = £2440.00 ($3248.70 or $840 per wheel)

Not a bad price as custom built wheels go, I doubt I'd pull the trigger, but this is what I'm looking for to give the vert a classic wheel look, and I'm loving the step lip wheels and totally diggin the spinners. The only change I'd make would be to have the centers painted a medium to dark grey.

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
Nice wheels! You should buy them LOLOLOLOL

When I did the JB Weld to the door handles I used popsicle sticks and heat. I used my heat gun to warm up the JB Weld and make it flow much easier. Then I picked it up with the popsicle stick and drizzled it into the back side of the handle. It filled the void very well and leveled itself. It does set a bit more quickly but that did not cause me any challenges.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Nice wheels! You should buy them LOLOLOLOL

When I did the JB Weld to the door handles I used popsicle sticks and heat. I used my heat gun to warm up the JB Weld and make it flow much easier. Then I picked it up with the popsicle stick and drizzled it into the back side of the handle. It filled the void very well and leveled itself. It does set a bit more quickly but that did not cause me any challenges.
My better-half has me on parts lock-down so I haven't been able to buy anything lately, grrrrrr. But I do like the Halibrand replica wheels quite a bit, though I'd feel better if I could see them on someone else's car first since they are generally seen on 60/70s muscle and Cobra replica cars. But I read in the Solstice book that Franz von Holzhausen based the cars design on 50s/60s classic race cars. So they might look good too :dunno:. But I've also been thinking about Norms wide fenders lately which would throw a wrench in wheel widths. Thank God, dreaming doesn't cost anything.

I just picked up some more JB for the drivers door that I have to remove and reinforce before winter sets in. Good tip about using heat, I used the end of a screwdriver to fill in the handle, and it seemed to take forever. I was just glad I could use water to remove it from anyplace it overran.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Hmmmmm, a box was just delivered, what could it be?

And so well packaged.

WooHoo, an unused set of very rare Aftershock Recessed Grills!

A special thanks to forum member IDFKA who was good enough to sell these to me. Thanks again IDFKA, I really appreciate it.

Now I can not make any promises, but I'm thinking of finding out how much it will cost to have these 3D Scanned, have a file created, and then see how much it would cost to have them 3D printed. If I do this I will create a separate thread to document the experience. Time wise, I'd say this would be a winter project.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Congrats Chop! They look perfect. Will they be going on your Coupe?

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Congrats Chop! They look perfect. Will they be going on your Coupe?
It's tempting, but I'm not sure right now. When I read that IDFKA had a set I slapped myself and jumped on them. I'm going to contact this place, it's relatively close to me, and check into 3D scanning prices. 3D Scanning

Now if I could only find the one & only set of Aftershock side skirts.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
It's tempting, but I'm not sure right now. When I read that IDFKA had a set I slapped myself and jumped on them. I'm going to contact this place, it's relatively close to me, and check into 3D scanning prices. 3D Scanning

Now if I could only find a set of the one & only set of Aftershock side skirts.

I get it with the "jump". I was second in line. Glad you got 'em! thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I just found this pic online and have the same pic in my garage. Revenge Designed sent the pic to me when I contacted them about an Edag top. I really like the black and white look of this car, though I'd do white wheels.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts