Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
In the process of installing DDM short shifter. Apologies for all the blank pics, they are a result of Photophu-it now charging for 3rd party hosting. All sorts of nope on that. I'm trying Imgur for now but I'm still in the learning process.

After you pull up on the plastic chrome shifter ring this is what you see, a ratty piece of cotton.

DDM short shifter on left vs OEM on the right. Notice the set screws depression are facing the same, but the slots are facing different directions, also how OEM ball sits higher than the DDM one.

DDM on left, OEM on right.

The part of the inner rubber boot that needs to be cut out to gain access to the 4 10MM bolts that holds the shifter in. BTW, I used my Dremel to cut it out.

What the shift area looks like after cutting out the small square of rubber and removing the shifter.

An assortment of the new and old parts.

My new classic Hurst shift knob. It came w/a locking nut, the problem is that it's exposed, so I'm hoping that using blue locktite will keep the knob in place.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)

After buttoning everything up I tried shifting, and the first thing I noticed was a very mechanical sound, along with noticing that I wasn't sure if I could tell if I was in first or third. With the old shifter it was pretty easy to tell what gear you were in because the technical term would be slop, and it was pretty easy to know that you were in shifting into 1st or 3rd.

Not only is the shifting distance shorter from front to back, it's also shorter from side to side. As I said at first it was hard to tell if I was in 1st or 3rd or 2nd or 4th. Shifting into reverse also takes more time to be certain of. So I sat in the car and practiced shifting for several minutes.

Then decided to drive to a local school parking lot and practice shifting around the school. For whatever reason shifting felt much more natural, and not as mechanical feeling when I was just sitting in the garage going through the gears. I"m sure I'll be self conscious for awhile until I can consistently shift as smoothly as possible.

Luckily my driving companions didn't complain.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Weird, while surfing the net I found an old pic of my chopped top Fiero (3 inches, V8Archie #4). I think it was chopped in the late 90s. This pic was taken in the early 2000s, and I drove it like this for a few summers before losing interest and buying a Harley. It was a base 85 four cylinder, auto, lowering springs, F&R GT bumpers, and Berrata GT 15 inch wheels. I think? it was the first choptop w/a sunroof. The back window was also removable, but that was a lousy idea because the engine heat would waterfall into the interior while driving slow or coming to a stop. I ended up selling it to someone in Florida, and while he made a lot of changes to it, I don't believe he ever completed it either. I still like notchback chop tops, if I had the room I wouldn't mine having another.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
I forgot that pics that I posted in this thread were hosted through Photosuckit, and therefore no pics of our cars. I haven't taken any new pics of our cars in about three years but they haven't changed. I also haven't boughten anything new for either car, so I haven't had much reason to post anything new to this thread. Other than taken the cars on 18 mile circuit during the MI driving season (and changing the oil), the cars sit in the garage. Please see first post if you have questions regarding modification.

Our 2009 GXP #480 coupe bought new (magnetic vinyl stickers)

And our 1st 1000 #482 bought used 2011, subsequently converted to look like a GXP. The hope was to do a V8 conversion, but for one reason or another its never happened.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Love the fiero!

So that's YOUR sweet car with the smoothline top! I love that car too. Awesome wheels.

Thanks for sharing CT~

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Finally new pics for 2019! A few days ago it was 65 degrees out so I back the vert out in order to move the snowblower into its storage spot. And then decide to take it out for a quick spin and took some pics of it for the first time in three years. BTW, one to three inches of snow predicted tonight!

Other than wanting new wheels & tires, and I'd still love to supercharge it (roots style) I don't have any other plans other than enjoying it. The 09 coupe remains parked but will take some new pics once spring is really here.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I love those wheels....are yours in 19"?
No 18s. I had a chance to buy the 19s a few weeks back from RedlineAutoParts (they buy and dismantle Kappas), they wanted $800. I passed because I thought that was high for being 10 year old wheels. But someone bought them because they aren't on their site any longer.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Just received two 09 coupe windows from the gentleman who rebuilt a salvaged 2008 Solstice (YT Rebuild It Channel). He bought some used doors and discovered that they were for an 09 coupe, so the coupe windows didn't fit the vert.. I contacted him asking about buying the coupe windows and we came to an agreement for me to buy them. They just arrived today and were packaged extremely well. I figure OEM coupe side windows may be a coupe item that may be difficult to find in the future.

Worth a watch if you want to see how a quarter panel is removed and replaced. It's an eight part series.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Fantastic.
All I want is for my coupe to be a manual, have less mileage, and an uncracked chrome (plastic) driver-side door handle.
The stripper pole garage idea's nice, though. Maybe we can get Sammi and Alexandria (look left) to come over. Their Hooters club closed Saturday. So the good ol' days of showing off their assets are behind them.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I've been wanting a long arm low profile jack for awhile now and finally bought this one. An Omega 29023B low-profile hydraulic magic lift service jack, 2-ton capacity for $348.61 (shipping included), through Walmart (but supplied to them by Northern Tool). It's only two and a half inches at the saddle so I shouldn't have to drive up on pieces of two by twelves anymore. Full extension in approximately two and a half pumps. However, it it heavy at about 130lbs.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
This part arrived today (GM 25817337), it's the GXP front fascia underbody support piece that I need for my 06 base to GXP front fascia conversion. It's very expensive for what it is, but if you wanna play you gotta pay.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Too bad the Kappas are 5x110 mm. There are a bunch of great looking wheels for the various BMW models that are 5x 120mm

I expect that you could use something like this to adapt them:

Some are quite similar to the Solstice wheels - my coupe with Q9Y:

My Z4M with very similar twin spoke wheels - they are 18x8 in front (ET42) as for Solstice and 18x9 rear ET30 (Solstice = ET55)

I wonder if they would fit the Solstice with the adaptors, for those that wanted a wider rear (stock Z4M tires are 225x45 F and 255x40 rear)

Here is a calculator for those interested https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Last I checked, the Kappas are 5 X 110mm.

:thumbs:

Thanks for catching that. I actually double checked it as I wasn't sure I recalled the dimension correctly. Unfortunately, the site I checked it on had it wrong! :rolleyes:

101 - 118 of 118 Posts