Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys/gals we<removed> do alot of chroming for our GTO, F-body and Y-Body customers and are going to offer this service to our Solstice customers as well. Our chroming company is the best and specialize in show chrome finishes using a 7 layer plating process that also includes a full copper buff which insures a smooth finish, and it is also backed by a industry leading 2 year defect free warranty. Please let me know what your interest would be in this service as I would like to run a special price for my first few customers that send their wheels in to be plated. If the demand is high enough we may be able to do a quantity of them to save you guys some dough. <removed>
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Dealers posting their information for sales is against the forum rules, but since you're not a dealer trying to sell cars you might be permitted to do this. Just letting you know incase your post gets changed later, that would be why. If so you need to PM Troy Roberts (board admin) about becoming a supporting member.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
:agree: no solicitation as per forum rules

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Actual chrome wheels will be available later this year. Aftermarket chromers can add a bit more weight to a wheel than OEM - for an 18" it's in the neighborhood of 1-1/2 to 2 lbs a wheel, upwards of almost 3# for each 22" wheel.

Please look at the link in my signature for "forum rules/etiquette/guidelines" on commercial posting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no problem becoming a sponsor as I am at other local boards, but seeing as the vehicles are not avail yet, I am not selling, simply seeing if any interest is available, just someone trying to add to your market, careful not to bash someone just for trying to gauge an interest in a forum. As for adding weight to a wheel, that is COMPLETELY FALSE, the wheel is stripped to a base before coating, and it is using a process that is even better than the factory job, so no such thing as added weight compared to a stock chrome wheel.

Moderators please contact me with your sponsor information.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
MVPerformance said:
I have no problem becoming a sponsor as I am at other local boards, but seeing as the vehicles are not avail yet, I am not selling, simply seeing if any interest is available, just someone trying to add to your market, careful not to bash someone just for trying to gauge an interest in a forum. As for adding weight to a wheel, that is COMPLETELY FALSE, the wheel is stripped to a base before coating, and it is using a process that is even better than the factory job, so no such thing as added weight compared to a stock chrome wheel.

Moderators please contact me with your sponsor information.

Thank you
MVPerformance - send a Private Message to TROY ROBERTS, he can get you set up as a supporting vendor. :thumbs:

And I'm sorry, no, it is not completely false about the added wheel mass. OEM mass-chrome wheels tend toward a thinner chrome coat (mostly for cost), and maybe even at the expense of longer term durability AND possibly appearance.

Aftermarket chromers, such as yourself, are VERY concerned about the appearance.

There is absolutely no argument that stands up when talking about a painted or polished wheel in relation to a chromed wheel. If the wheel design is the same, the chromed wheel will absolutely weigh more.

Paint and coat weigh a fraction of what the chrome weighs. The reason I know about the 22" is from experience - actual measurements from an acquaintence of mine. I know about the 18" because of contacts in the wheel industry. Chroming the outside of an 18" wheel adds a minimum of a 15 oz to the wheel, prolly closer to 20 oz.

You do chroming - weigh a wheel before and weigh it after and you can tell me how much of a difference it is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Chrome Wheels

Hey MVP, how about asking us if we would like chrome grills? Or maybe mesh like on the Cadillac V's Or maybe....bright windshield surround mouldings like on the Audi. Hey another thing I heard is that the top won't have a headliner. So why don't you make one of those for us too?

UM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Solsticeman- Ill pm him.

As for the wheels, again let me explain something, you have qouted this:

""Paint and coat weigh a fraction of what the chrome weighs. The reason I know about the 22" is from experience - actual measurements from an acquaintence of mine. I know about the 18" because of contacts in the wheel industry. Chroming the outside of an 18" wheel adds a minimum of a 15 oz to the wheel, prolly closer to 20 oz. ""

Here you have compared a PAINTED wheel to a CHROME wheel, I stated the difference in weight between a FACTORY chrome wheel, and a aftermarket wheel are negligable, yes we care about quality, but we also dont add 2lbs per wheel as compared to a stock chrome wheel. I think their was a small misunderstanding, also for performance, it is not enough to make a difference, if you believe their is, check out our other forums with tables that explain weight to power ratios, etc. If you are that concerned about weight, most likely you dont care about chrome. :) Thanks again for the info, I hope to be able to contribute more positively to your market in the future. :cool:

ESERIES- Excellent ideas, we without a doubt can offer chroming of any part, plastic or metal, so if you wanted grilles and other accessories plated we would use the same process, just contact us. The headliner is a good idea as well, we would need a test car for that one though. Thanks for the input!

Andy

·
Registered
275 Posts
MVPerformance said:
ESERIES- Excellent ideas, we without a doubt can offer chroming of any part, plastic or metal, so if you wanted grilles and other accessories plated we would use the same process, just contact us. The headliner is a good idea as well, we would need a test car for that one though. Thanks for the input!
I agree that some of those would be a great idea. i know both the solstice and sky will be into the chroming. there may be additional things that people will be wanting to have chromed. and i personally am not going to worry about a few extra ounces when it comes to the looks. if im that worried about that little of a difference, ill go to the restroom before i drive! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
MVperformance,

reread and for some reason had not gotten that you were talking about factory chrome vs. aftermarket chrome - you're right, it is small difference if at all. Thought you were talking about painted factory vs. aftermarket chrome.

Chroming does add weight. There are friends that keep track of every single gram. They can many times be found sawing off the ends of bolts, scraping off excess sealer, trimming flange edges. A friend that had an RX7 showed me his bucket of weight savings - every time he figured out something else to trim weight, he put it in the bucket. Did you know there's over 35 pounds of wasted metal and stuff in a car - and it's prolly closer to 50 pounds because these bits and pieces don't contain the weight of the material consumed in the trimming (metal dust? the metal equivalent of sawdust?).

but again you are exactly right - these guys would NEVER EVER EVEN CONSIDER CHROME WHEELS (GASP!!!! THE HORROR OF EXCESS WEIGHT!!!).

As for the aftermarket vs. OEM, I'm going by what I have seen and by what I have been told by wheel industry contacts. I could hardly believe the amount that chroming adds to someone who puts dubs on their car.

:thumbs: on the chromed trim pieces - I'd love to see some of those.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
A chromed egg crate grill in the back would balance the chromed front grill. I can picture a black car with that and a chrome windshield header. :thumbs:

·
Registered
268 Posts
i know over at aleromod.com usaly when something is offered usaly there is a group buy with a good discount and vip menbers get a disc at some site sponsors. like i get a 20%disc on aas body kits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts