Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, the exclamation point is part of the name. Has anyone seen this in the February issue of Car and Driver? The Firepower! is a new concept to show at the NAIAS by Chrysler. Just a concept at this point, its built off the Viper Chasis, uses a 426 HP Hemi V8 engine, and would be priced around $50,000 to compete in with the Chevy Corvette!

I am not totally convinced with its styling. I immediately recognized the Aston Martin influence in the rear flanks of the vehicle (which is intentional according to Chrysler) but the front looks a little busy. Still, it looks like it could make quite a visual statement! I'd like to see Chrysler clean up the front end a little and give this one a shot on the market! I wouldn't ever be able to afford one new, but I am all for new sportscars! If they can do the interior half as nice as it looks, it may force GM to finally upgrade the Corvette interior to first class levels too!

I tried to find a link, but couldn't C&D has not updated their website with the Feb issue articles yet. Hit up Barnes and Nobles if you haven't seen it yet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Here some specs:

Power: 425 bhp
Torque: 420 ft lbs
Top Speed (estimated): 175MPH
0-60 MPH: 4.5 seconds
Weight (estimated): 3,380 lbs. (1,533 kg)
Length: 172.6 inches (4,383 mm)
Wheelbase: 98.8 inches (2,510 mm)
Front Overhang: 34.1 inches (867 mm)
Rear Overhang: 39.6 inches (1,006 mm)
Width: 73.2 inches (1,859 mm)
Height: 47.7 inches (1,211 mm)
Track, frt/rr: 61.6/60.6 inches (1,565/1,539 mm)
Ground Clearance: 5.1 inches (130 mm)
Engine: 6.1L HEMI(R) V8
Transmission: 5-speed automatic with AutoStick
Front and Rear Suspension: SLA Dodge Viper Suspension
Front Tire Size: 275/35R19
Rear Tire Size: 335/30R20
Front Wheel Size: 19x12 inches
Rear Wheel Size: 20x12 inches
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s it! Now that they have officially announced they are not going to build the ME 12 supercar, this one may be a big possibility. DCX is trying to take Chrysler up market, and this car would certainly slot nicely just above the Crossfire SRT-6.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian said:
It looks nice, but good luck competing with the vette.
If the specs are right and they can get the price close to the ‘Vette, I am sure it would sell. 425 HP beats the base Vette’s 400 to start with! Plus, there are plenty of people who do not care for the Corvette out there, who I am sure would look at a similarly performing and similarly priced competitor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
If the specs are right and they can get the price close to the ‘Vette, I am sure it would sell. 425 HP beats the base Vette’s 400 to start with! Plus, there are plenty of people who do not care for the Corvette out there, who I am sure would look at a similarly performing and similarly priced competitor.
Yeah, there are plenty of people who have total brand loyalty. They would never consider a Corvette because it's a Chevy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
There is a few things the Firepower doesn't have over the Corvette and thats nostalgia for the nameplate and a huge following of people. Lets face it the people buying vettes are all old dudes who seen one when they where a kid and never forgot about it and finally have the chance to buy one now. It's one of my favorite cars of all time, but hey any compition is welcomed to me so come on Chrysler lets see what ya got put it on the road. I want to see a rivalry like the Camaro and Mustang guys have. Also it is a nice design too I really do like the car alot, but I'd still buy a vette.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Inferno9823 said:
There is a few things the Firepower doesn't have over the Corvette and thats nostalgia for the nameplate and a huge following of people. Lets face it the people buying vettes are all old dudes who seen one when they where a kid and never forgot about it and finally have the chance to buy one now. It's one of my favorite cars of all time, but hey any compition is welcomed to me so come on Chrysler lets see what ya got put it on the road. I want to see a rivalry like the Camaro and Mustang guys have. Also it is a nice design too I really do like the car alot, but I'd still buy a vette.
Your right, the Corvette does have its storied nameplate going for it. Still, there are also plenty of old dudes who are Mopar fans too! As Brentil said, brand loyalty. The Firepower has the Viper chassis going for it, and the Hemi under the hood connects the engine to Mopar's storied musclecar past.

The interior also looks rather upscale in the showcar. If they can get a very good interior into production, it may also have that as a bragging right over the Corvette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Firepower is a lame name. They want heritage to go against Corvette? Why can't this be the new Dodge Charger? Let's face it, the 300 series was the only performance Chryslers ever made historically (don't think you can include the TC), and they never made a 2-seater, so they pretty much have to go with a new name, but Firepower?? I like the design though, like to see the drop top version.

Don't think they'll steal too many current Vette owners, but people considering a Vette, yeah, I can see that.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AeroDave said:
Don't think they'll steal too many current Vette owners, but people considering a Vette, yeah, I can see that.
That’s probably all they really need. There may be a lot of baby boomers who would love a Corvette alternative that is American, or is at least Corvette priced, but isn’t a Corvette. I doubt it will take a big bite into Corvette sales, but it could sway over fringe buyers who get a Corvette for its performance, and not its heritage. Those folks are out there somewhere!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
From the shows I've seen, the Viper takes an expert to control while the Vette is smoother and more predictable. If they are going to compete with the 'Vette they better make it a little mor comfortable and easier to drive than the Viper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Now all that needs to happen is Ford to bring out a 50,000 new age Cobra or something else and we can see some really good articles and grudge matches going. Bring back the old school days of drag racing my Dad and Grandpa always tell me about.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Inferno9823 said:
Now all that needs to happen is Ford to bring out a 50,000 new age Cobra or something else and we can see some really good articles and grudge matches going. Bring back the old school days of drag racing my Dad and Grandpa always tell me about.
I think Ford should have brought back the Thunderbird as a $50K sports car to compete in that price/power category. It may have helped it in the sales department too. I hope the Cobra isn't that high however, that would hurt its value quotient.

I think we are back in the days of horsepower wars! Ford does need to get that Cobra out to keep up with the 400 HP plus competition in Detroit!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top