Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remember this one? RODEO metioned in another thread how long we have waited for information on the Solstice. I got to thinking about when the Solstice looked like it was going to be just another concept that would never see the light of day in production.

It is too bad Chrysler did not push it along like happened with the Solstice. That was a nice concept. I would much rather have seen this everywhere on the road than PT Cruisers.

Attachments

·
4,592 Posts
nice post, and something to talk about at least!

I like that, I assume it would have looked real nice as it moved from concept to production. too bad!

I hadn't seen it before, thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It took me forever to remember the name of it. I kept thinking it was 'sportster' or something like that and couldn't find it but it finally popped into my head! If I recall correctly it used parts-bin sourced components so it would have been cheap to produce and like the Solstice concept it had a >2.0L FI engine good for over 200 ponies.

Found a bigger picture

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Nope, hadn't seen that one before. Looks pretty awesome! I see a little Porsche Boxter and a little Aston Martin in it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This concept goes all the way back to 1998! That allpar.com site the second pic is from apparently got to drive the 6yr old concept last year.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I wonder if it's a MR layout, because it's got vents in the back. However I don't see any air inlets like most MR layout cars have.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If that concept HAD been produced as a Plymouth then P would still be here. What a platform or the new hemi.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I really liked that concept when it came out. One neat feature was that it has a plastic body with the color molded in. No paint. They said it woulnd't be quite as shiney as a clearcoat painted finish, but it would hold up much better too. Scracthes could be lightly buffed/sanded out and the plastic re-polished!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I really liked that concept when it came out. One neat feature was that it has a plastic body with the color molded in. No paint. They said it woulnd't be quite as shiney as a clearcoat painted finish, but it would hold up much better too. Scracthes could be lightly buffed/sanded out and the plastic re-polished!
Some of the mowers I sell have that type of plastic body shell with the color all the way through. They look pretty good. Have not tried to polish out any deep scratches. Complex shapes are easy and attachment points are molded into the rigid panels.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Glad you answered my question about why the body looks so dull... now I understand.

It's a neat concept, and one that I missed somehow... wow, with all the Mopar guys I know I'm surprised I never heard about this one. Looks good, but I don't care for the finish on the car with the plastic body panels.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think I’d have to see the body in person to make a final determination on the color quality and appearance, Although its certainly not as shiny as paint job. Oh, and one other advantage of it, to make up for that dull appearance, was the cost. They were estimating that it could drop the price of the vehicle a couple thousand dollars, since they wouldn’t need to paint it, comply with environmental regs, or even build and operate a paint shop.

I also remember from those reviews that Chrysler was using the molded in color plastic body panels on some cars it produced in other areas of the world. Brazil in particular (I believe). However, they must have had enough negative reaction to the dullness since they have never shown another concept with that type of body in the US, as far as I can remember

·
Registered
66 Posts
I kinda like the matt silver.
I bet you could slather some wax on that and buff it to a shine.

I wonder if you could shoot another coat of matt clear over a shiny painted surface and get that effect. Hmmm....

Thats what I orininaly thought was going on here, it looks like the hood was masked in a pattern and a matt finish was applied.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=346&sort=2&cat=3013&page=1

Matt racing stripes anyone?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I hadn't seen that car before. I kind of like it. Is it rear or mid engine? Can't stand the dull finish though. It would have to be painted. Who knows, if the Solstice and Sky are a huge successs, then Chrysler might think they need in the low end roadster game and revive it. I like it better than the Dodge Slingshot.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
From AutoWeb.com.au;
http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_50365/newsarticle.html

• A 2.4-litre, dual-overhead cam, supercharged rear-wheel-drive engine that produces 170kW (225hp). The transverse mid-engine is configured for sport-car handling and is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission borrowed from the Neon ACR racing package;
  • 18-inch cast aluminium wheels and 225/40R1 8 Goodyear tyres;
  • Gauges that evoke the timeless quality of a Swiss watch;
  • Special taillamps with neon tubes for a softer, more even light;
  • Leather, racing shell seats;
  • Tortoise-shell steering wheel rim and "banjo spoke design" in which groupings of metal rods form a spoke;
  • Tortoise-shell and chrome treatments on the shift knob; and
  • A wrap-around windscreen, such as those found in aircraft.
The engine is apparently what has become the SRT-4 and PT Cruiser Turbo engine. It's in an MR layout in this car though.

Interesting info from the allpar.com read is that they drove this 1998 Concept car recently in 2004.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/pronto-spyder.html

One of the challenges in keeping the Spyder affordable was to lower costs without hurting quality, by spending less on materials and more on engineering. They did this by using polyethylene terephthalate (PET), the same material used to make plastic drinking bottles - indeed, the idea was to make the Plymouth from recycled materials. PET technology could cut manufacturing costs by 80%. The chassis is still high-strength steel.

Attachments

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thanks for digging up the information Brentil! I did not remember that it had a supercharged engine in it! Even if the color was dull, it still is a disappointment they never made it. The world never has enough 2 seat sports cars at affordable prices!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm betting that if they did a nice buff and clear coat on the PET body panels they would give off a different look. It's jsut when you leave the plastic in it's raw form it really looks very lack-luster.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
They could even give the plastic a regular paint job too. However, even clearcoating would defeat a lot of the cost savings in using those body panels because they introduce the cost of a paint shop and conforming to environmental standards with it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The tooling for the Pronto body panels is likely textured or grained. The higher the polish on the tool the shinier the plastic will look.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another car Chrysler didn't build was the Dodge Razor. I remember both the Solstice and Razor being in the same car mags several years ago. The mags said to look for the Razor to be built but don't expect GM to build the Solstice!

Attachments

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Eager Sol said:
Another car Chrysler didn't build was the Dodge Razor. I remember both the Solstice and Razor being in the same car mags several years ago. The mags said to look for the Razor to be built but don't expect GM to build the Solstice!
That was also an interesting concept, but not nearly as good looking as a Solstice IMO. Wow, the rags called that one right! :glol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts