Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cigarette lighter socket isn't working
and i need to keep my phone charged. So 1st stop fuse box.
I've looked in my handbook but I can't see or find the fuse listed for it.
Anyone have any clue what number it might be. I have an 07 gxp.

Feel kinda dumb asking but hey!!

Thanks ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Looks like its location #30. It's calls the outlet fuse

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
How long have you had your car? Did it work before?

Asking, because often folks (maybe a previous owner) remove the boomerang dash for some reason and disconnect the socket, then forget to re-connect it again. (Err... don't ask me how I know...)

• Haha
Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I found the fuse and it is fuse #30 in the engine compartment fuse box.
I changed it out with a spare and it is not the fuse.
By the way it is referred to as a cigarette lighter in the handbook in the run up paragraph to the diagram

I've inly had my car since beginning of Dec 13 and it didn't work.
I found a thread in the archives about the connection in the rear of the socket that was disconnected, not sure if it just came lose or somebody actually took it off.
The guy on the thread had to pull off the fascia and all sorts to get to it.
He said he replaced the socket with a new one which cost $8

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You should be able to reach back behind the socket without a lot of work...

Just (gently) pry off the chrome shifter boot ring (be gentle so you don't break the clips, and use tape around the edge so you don't marr the boomerang paint). Once free, pull the boot up over the shift knob and then see if you can reach behind the socket and check the connector is there or loose. Be careful, since there's sharp-edged metal stampings under there.

If that doesn't work or doesn't give enough access, unclip the triangular plate behind the central passenger grab handle, undo the two 10mm bolts there, and rotate the handle out. Then you can pry the boomerang clips off around the shifter and up level with the radio on either side. That should give you enough flex to reach behind the socket.

Photos and more info here: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/how-aftermarket-headunit-replacement-15707/

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Success
I fixed it this morning.
(Well I plugged it back in anyway)
It had been unplugged. I can only guess that someone forgot to plug it in when previous owner had a speaker wire replaced several years ago,
I did have to unclip the boomerang which is fair simple, I did not have to remove it tho. Just gave myself a gap to see the rear plug was disconnected.
If it's made outta wood, then I'm your man.
Mechanical uh uh!

Thanks to all for the assist

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had to remove the whole lighter as it’s not working (even though it’s plugged in) so I thought I’d add some pics since I didn’t see any. The metal tabs that hold on the boomerang can take some pretty firm pulling and prying at some spots…some are easier and some harder. I had to dremel the tabs on the lighter to get it out of the boomerang itself as even pushing with a screwdriver and pliers didn’t seem to release it.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive tire Steering part

Motor vehicle Product Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens

White Light Camera lens Finger Camera accessory

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

·
Premium Member
18,492 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
NIce writeup

They make a tool to pull the power port. I have used it to replace a failed unit recently.

AmazonSmile: Dorman 56457 Lighter Socket And Removal Tool Compatible with Select Models : Automotive

It locks into the slots in the port and pulls it out so you can access it or replace it.

I saw one of those but just wondered if the socket would come out or not and if it would break the tabs. Probably would have been worth it for me to try in my case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts