Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first experience with a roadster was driving with my uncle in his Midget. After a couple motorcycles, I got a 1966 Dastun SPL311 Fairlady (anyone else??) I would still love to own a 2000 someday. I loved that little car although it was in rough shape and left me stranded a few times.... But I've got some really funny stories now!

Anyway - I've seen a couple folks out there mention MGBs, Bugeyes and such. I would love to hear from another Fairlady owner and other classic car owners who are now showing an interest in a Solstice.

I would attach a pic of my Datsun, but I'm in Taiwan now for work and don't have access to all my pics at home.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My uncle used to own a 70 something Spitfire. That was an awesome little car. I remember going for lots of rides in it as a kid. That's what started my love of roadsters.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
My older brother bought a '72 or '73 MG Midget before he went in the Army. After his initial training he left the car with my parents. My younger brother and I got to drive it while we were still in high school and laved that car.

It needed more TLC than we knew how to give it, but it survived our use and was still in one piece when he returned home to sell it. He probably wishes it was parked in a barn so that he could have it now.

·
4,592 Posts
learned how to drive with a Fiat 124 spyder (parents/hand me down), then my first car was econo, but then I went to 2 MGBs back to back....one was a the LE MGB (I have pics of that version in my signatures website).

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
simmonsmb said:
My uncle used to own a 70 something Spitfire. That was an awesome little car. I remember going for lots of rides in it as a kid. That's what started my love of roadsters.
Almost bought a Spitfire when I was looking for my Datsun... I love the way they look.

Simmonsmb - you're in southern IN? I'm around Lexington.... Only a couple other KY folks... We may have to start an KY, Southern OH, Southern IN, TN group. Cruise the bluegrass!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Used to drive to the beach (almost daily) in my buddies yellow VW Karman Gia...not sure if this quite fits the roadster category but it did wet my appetite for owning a roadster.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is something about the feel of your butt 6-8 inches off the ground and good tight steering that gets exciting... even if there aren't too may ponies under the hood.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey KYSol, sounds good. I'm almost directly in the middle of Louisville and Indy, so it probably constitutes more "South-Central" than pure "Southern" but my family comes from the KY-TN border so I just associate with the "Southern" better. I'd be up for joining a Tri-State group composed of the Southern parts of IN and OH and the Northern part of KY. Lots of pretty land down your way, much better cruising then anything up north. Best place around here is Brown County, but I'd take a nice cruise through the KY countryside anyday, especially down around Lake Cumberland where my family's from.

wannasolstice2- I've always had a fascination with the Karman Gia. I've only seen a couple of them on the road but I've always thought they were really cool looking cars. I'd love to get to ride in one once.

·
5,600 Posts
A fixer TR4-A is the only previous experience I've had with classic roadsters. The handling seemed incredible compared to the the family cars and pick-up trucks I'd driven. I was a fairly new driver with little experience, but taking that TR4-A out on a twisting road - the car was so light and maneuvered so quickly - it really felt like a race car by comparison.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a '74 MGB (hence the name) that I've had for 9 years now. My husband bought it for me for my 40th birthday.....unfortunately it had been wrecked, didn't run, and alot of the pieces were in cardboard boxes. :lol: Paid $900 for it....what a deal!! We restored it ourselves and have enjoyed cruising in it ever since.

Before I saw the Sol in 2002, I always thought I eventually would get a Mustang (after the kids left). The Mustang is a great car, but they've gotten SO BIG!!! I love the feel of a small roadster and can't wait to get my Sol.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
74MGB said:
I have a '74 MGB (hence the name) that I've had for 9 years now. My husband bought it for me for my 40th birthday.....unfortunately it had been wrecked, didn't run, and alot of the pieces were in cardboard boxes. :lol: Paid $900 for it....what a deal!! We restored it ourselves and have enjoyed cruising in it ever since.

Before I saw the Sol in 2002, I always thought I eventually would get a Mustang (after the kids left). The Mustang is a great car, but they've gotten SO BIG!!! I love the feel of a small roadster and can't wait to get my Sol.
Thanks for joining in '74MGB. You would be disappointed in a Mustang IMHO if you really like the MGB. I had an 86 GT conv and it was fun and all, but just a different fell from the Datsun roadster and my miata. I prefer the roadster feel. You'll have a blast cruisin' through West Lake and Bay Village in your beautiful new machine! What color is your MGB and future Solstice? Any idea when you expect to see your Sol?

·
Registered
417 Posts
the only true rodster i ever had was an austin healy 3000 stuffed full of 400 hp, 12 to compression, crane cam of pure fire breathing hell, chevy engine. the most unreliable car on the planet but when it did decide to run. holy moly!!!!!!!!!!! my favorite though was my 71 240z (coupe i know not a roadster) that i bought brand new. i had a choice of 912 porsche, (too expensive) vette (same reason) and finally an mg gt (about the same price). i love the brits but it was no contest, looks, power and even syncro into first gear ( yeah i know get out of town!) :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
My MG is British Racing Green and I thought about getting the Sol in Envious, but decided on Pure instead. Our kids couldn't believe we are getting ANOTHER white car...kind of a running joke in our family. We've had numerous white vehicles over the years.

I'm looking forward to driving along Lake Rd. in the Sol....if it EVER gets here!! Went to 3000 on 9/6 according to CC. You'll probably get yours before I do!!

BTW, our son and his wife live in Lexington....He went to UK and we used to live in Paducah.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
74MGB said:
My MG is British Racing Green and I thought about getting the Sol in Envious, but decided on Pure instead. Our kids couldn't believe we are getting ANOTHER white car...kind of a running joke in our family. We've had numerous white vehicles over the years.

I'm looking forward to driving along Lake Rd. in the Sol....if it EVER gets here!! Went to 3000 on 9/6 according to CC. You'll probably get yours before I do!!

BTW, our son and his wife live in Lexington....He went to UK and we used to live in Paducah.
Hey there - I'm actually pretty bad about keeping a car clean... never seem to have the time and white is quite forgiving. My best friend from H.S. is still in Avon and I'ld like to get my Sol up there for him to see. Ours should be made about the same time. I'll shoot you a PM when that ever happens. Likewise, if yours beats mine and your coming to Lex, let me know. I can't wait to see a white one in person.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrfredsporty said:
the only true rodster i ever had was an austin healy 3000 stuffed full of 400 hp, 12 to compression, crane cam of pure fire breathing hell, chevy engine. the most unreliable car on the planet but when it did decide to run. holy moly!!!!!!!!!!! my favorite though was my 71 240z (coupe i know not a roadster) that i bought brand new. i had a choice of 912 porsche, (too expensive) vette (same reason) and finally an mg gt (about the same price). i love the brits but it was no contest, looks, power and even syncro into first gear ( yeah i know get out of town!) :)

"pure fire breathing hell" to 04 Prius. :eek: Just a little change there. My wife's #1 priority was good gas milage, but #2 was cost, so we got the vibe vs the Prius. You must like waiting for cars.... When we looked, there was a few month wait for the Prius.

·
Registered
417 Posts
true it seems that all my recent wants have been waiting line only. my prius was 4 months and that was before they got REAL popular. my last semi normal car was the 6 speed kompressor benz hatchback. great little car! :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
My first car was a '70 Fiat Spider 124. Used to play with nothing but euro 4-bangers. Still remember the first time I tore down a V-8, "What are all these stupid push-rod things?" :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
This will be the forth roadster I haved owned. Started with a '74 MG Midget, then went to a '72 Triumph Spitfire. Just sold a '92 Mazda Miata and am still waiting on my Sol.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts