Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Clay Bar ???

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  SolsticeEnjoying 
#1 ·
Is there a reason one would clay bar a brand new car ? I thought I read you shouldn't. Maybe turbo can set me straight.

#2 ·
A clay bar can take off any frime or slight reminents of debri that accumulates when shipping. Most "good" detail shops at car dealerships will run one over the car when it first gets in.

They are also good to use before a thorough waxing. I cannot imagine why someone would not want to use one. To my knowledge they only help the overall cleanliness and smoothness of the paint.

#4 ·
Check with your local auto store, I know that there are products out there for convertable tops.

#6 ·
deluke said:
Is there a reason one would clay bar a brand new car ? I thought I read you shouldn't. Maybe turbo can set me straight.
After doing 1 body panel the difference in tactile feel is amazing. I will definetly claybar before any wax job from now on.

I know Zaino's site mentions rail dust and who know what else are cars were exposed to while sitting outside for months and months.

#7 ·
Claybars are small, and don't you have to hit every inch of your car? Wouldn't that take practically forever?

#8 ·
Fortimir said:
Claybars are small, and don't you have to hit every inch of your car? Wouldn't that take practically forever?
Not really. About the same as a coat of wax. With the lube you're constantly applying the clay slides real easily. I'm no expert since my claybar tally is now one, but it didn't take me too long to hit every inch.

#10 ·
Chris said:
Not really. About the same as a coat of wax. With the lube you're constantly applying the clay slides real easily. I'm no expert since my claybar tally is now one, but it didn't take me too long to hit every inch.
I did the whole Zaino prescribed process: washing first with Dawn, then clay bar w/a dilution mix of their car wash in a spray bottle for lube, then a 2nd wash with their product, then three coats of wax (used the accelerator product). The entire process took 5 hours; of that, the clay bar part was definitely the longest - almost 2 hours.

The result, of course, is well worth the time spent!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.