Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You got to be joking.:willy: Touring around on YOU TUBE about Solstice I ran across a video showing that you could clean deoxidis your headlight lenses using tooth paste. well IT WORKS!! I did not use it on my Solstice but my 2003 Avalanche 300,000 MILES, I was shocked. Put it on with my fingers in circling motion and wiping down with paper towel then I rinsed it off with water. Try it and you lenses will be clear and smell good.

PS I saw another using brake fluid but don't get it on your paint!

·
Registered
281 Posts
What type of toothpaste, I am guessing not a clear one like AIM. More like Crest or a solid white one???

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crest but i think any will do , its the small amount of abrasion in the tooth paste. Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
The mild abrasives in toothpaste can be very effective on the polycarbonate that the headlight lenses are made of. It's also effective on CD's or DVD's but when using on those polish from the center to the outside instead of in circles.

If it's light abrasion or dirt accumulation on your headlights many times a clay bar treatment same as you do for your paint can be very effective also.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Crest but i think any will do , its the small amount of abrasion in the tooth paste.
Not quite that simple...:(

Crest alone has literally 8 or 9 different types of toothpaste on the store shelf...and Crest (and other brands) have varying amounts of abrasive, depending on the variety you choose.

Using toothpaste because of the abrasive is quite an old idea, but with there being so many varieties today, might it be better to use something with a known amount of abrasive in it -- like fine rubbing compound or the kits sold specifically for polishing headlight lenses???

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
"had a gal like that once..."

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Works on proof coins also

Suprisingly this works on proof coins and silver with minor tarnishing also. The brand of toothpaste doesn't seem to matter, just use ordinary toothpaste for "sensitive teeth" which uses the mildest of abrasives.

Best to start with the mild abasive first, you can always try a more aggressive product. Same rule would apply to your headlights.

Take a small dab and rub with your finger using very mild pressure. Rinse with cold water. Presto, coin is back to a proof like state.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So this turned into a tooth paste commercial. 56 kinds of tooth paste... Wow
Love the comment on the girl.....
Simply put tooth paste CAN clean headlights and make them smell minty fresh. LMAO.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
The mild abrasives in toothpaste can be very effective on the polycarbonate that the headlight lenses are made of. It's also effective on CD's or DVD's but when using on those polish from the center to the outside instead of in circles.

If it's light abrasion or dirt accumulation on your headlights many times a clay bar treatment same as you do for your paint can be very effective also.
CW,
As our resident expert in all things plasticie, if you do polish the headlights, what about the UV protective layer?

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Most of the UV protection would be compounded into the polycarbonate when it's polymerized at the plant - before it's even molded into the shape of your lens. What sucks is what works best to stabilize the plastic are additives such as carbon black. Yeah, you really can't make a clear lens adding carbon black to it. So ironically the best way to stabilize a clear lens at the molecular level would make it "less" clear. Hence some of the overcoating techniques that have come into use in the last 20 years or so.

If you're polishing to remove the haze, you're removing the protective coating to at least some degree. If you're using a buffer or a drill attachment in a "kit" to restore your headlights, yeah, you're pretty much getting rid of all of that film. If you're wet-sanding to get ride of deep scratches, pits, fogging - you know that film is LONG gone and then some.

If you're using anything other than a clay bar or general washing, you're reducing or eliminating that coating. Good news is that you can protect them with after market products specifically for the purpose or even just a good car wax will do a decent job. Just remember that once you polish them, you need to protect them regularly. If you get fogging, or especially if you get yellowing after polishing them, you're losing the integrity of the plastic through the wall section.

If you let them get that far away on you, you won't be able to restore them at all.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Certainly off topic, remotely related, but in reading this topic I was reminded of the days in Navy boot camp when we were required to clean our white hats (yeah, back in the day when US sailors wore 13 button pants and white hats) with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Those were the days - NOT!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Meguiars Headlight Protectant is a great product. Have used this on my cars since moving to NC and have not had any hazing issues. I apply it once a month.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Certainly off topic, remotely related, but in reading this topic I was reminded of the days in Navy boot camp when we were required to clean our white hats (yeah, back in the day when US sailors wore 13 button pants and white hats) with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Those were the days - NOT!
Oh. Your Company Commander allowed you to brush your teeth? :cuss:

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
At least our company commander didn't make us use our toothbrushes to remove scuff marks on our foot lockers and baseboards, or clean the urinals (as was rumored he might.)

·
Registered
764 Posts
According to an article I recently read Crest has 56 different varieties of tooth paste.
And if you read the boxes most of them have the same ingredients. It's marketing if I have tarter I'll buy tartar control. If I have plaque you guessed it. Read the list of medical ingredients and non... they are the same. :willy:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts