Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering a clear bra for the front bumper. It seams really prone to rock chips.

What experiences have others had with clear bras?
Do they hold up well?
Is there a noticable difference between the bra and the paint?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Clear Bra......

FFB said:
I am considering a clear bra for the front bumper. It seams really prone to rock chips.

What experiences have others had with clear bras?
Do they hold up well?
I just viewed a clear bra for the first time at a Lotus Dealer on Monday. My wife noticed the bra up close, I could not tell until I actually was about a foot next to the vehicle. I've hear great things about the 3M bra (looks great on the Lotus). The dealer pre-installs them on all the new Lotus's. The bra option was listed as $995. The Lotus Elise is my next purchase after the Pontiac Solstice. I've heard on the forum it will be available for the Solstice, once more cars are on the road. It will be an aftermarket product. I don't think its listed as a dealer option. Most dealers will probably offer it somewhere down the road.
:yesnod:

·
Registered
493 Posts
FFB said:
Do they hold up well?
I own a car with clear bra on it and it is the best thing I've ever done to my car. Only thing is get it done before taking delivery of your car, you could get rock chips on the way home from the dealership. Some installers come to the dealerships to install the bra.

FFB said:
No not really, sometimes if you wax your black car you could see a thin white wax line where the bra ends, but nothing you can't clean off.

Neil

·
2,574 Posts
The Stig said:
I own a car with clear bra on it and it is the best thing I've ever done to my car. Only thing is get it done before taking delivery of your car, you could get rock chips on the way home from the dealership. Some installers come to the dealerships to install the bra.

No not really, sometimes if you wax your black car you could see a thin white wax line where the bra ends, but nothing you can't clean off.

Neil

What kinda loot are we talkin Stig?

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
birdliver said:
http://www.clearmask.com/

The site above can give you a quote ... they say that you can save quite a bit by doing it yourself and the "kit" is rated "easy" to install.

·
Registered
493 Posts
birdliver said:
Well it all depends on who installs it. For the car I have it on, it was an option for the car, and it goes around the whole car... not cheap, but worth every penny.

Neil

·
Registered
493 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
they say that you can save quite a bit by doing it yourself and the "kit" is rated "easy" to install.
I wouldn't install it myself if someone payed me to do it... I've seen it done and it looked pretty difficult to me. If you can pay a little more and have it done professionally... my .02

Neil

·
2,574 Posts
The Stig said:
I wouldn't install it myself if someone payed me to do it... I've seen it done and it looked pretty difficult to me. If you can pay a little more and have it done professionally... my .02

Neil
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Maybe with some practice, but not first time on a new Sol. Let the Pro do it. I think you'd be nuts not to have this option with a Sol. as good as people say it is now.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
The procedure is the same as tinting windows, so if you think it is hard to tint ... then do not try it. They have a demostration video on the web site. If you have a steady hand, then you can save at least $300 dollars.

I will just save the money and get a new paint job, instead of paying $600-$1000 dollars. I do not get too many chips in my paint where I live, so I figured I would go "bra-less."

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm going to get a Manzier that I can remove because two months out of the year we get Love Bugs that will eat the paint off down here in FLA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tigerman said:
I'm going to get a Manzier that I can remove because two months out of the year we get Love Bugs that will eat the paint off down here in FLA.

We have the same problem along the Gulf Coast in Texas. I had a bra for my MGB and it worked fine when needed. I found a rather large black/white MG logo patch and I had it sewn onto the bra (which was black) centered on the front of the hood. I thought it looked great. I always took it off when it rained. Some people might find that inconvenient, but I never minded messin' with the car. I'm sure I won't mind messin' with the sol/sky that I get.

B

·
0 Posts
Living in the Desert Southwest that might not be a bad idea. I will have to see what my Dealer has to offer when the car gets here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the 3M clear mask on an MR2 Spyder and it worked great. Not very noticeable, easy to clean. I'm considering it vs. a regular bra.

I'd recommend a pro install the clear mask on the Solstice. I watched the job on my Spyder and it can be a little tricky. Lots of curves to handle on the front.

·
Registered
203 Posts
3M paint protection

I did some shopping at found a great place in Lodi, NJ.

I am bringing the car directly to them If it ever arrives.
( The dealer was told not to prep the car... NO wash, no wax)

This place will clean the car ( clay if necessary )
Install the 3M film over the entire hood ( no line showing )
over parts of the fenders, entire grill, and rear bumper, headlights, side mirrors and finally behind all 4 wheels.
Then the will detail ( wash and wax ) the entire car.

This is about $900.

I think its worth it. My other car (lexus RX300) does have some hood and bumper damage from driving the highways at 65 MPH ++++.
So I want to nip it in the bud...

Frank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts