Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the latest 3M Clear Bra kit installed. :thumbs: This kit is for the Hood/Fender, Bumper, Fog lights, Headlights, Mirrors and Tire Splash Guards. I also had them do a custom piece for windshield frame. :yesnod:

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. :thumbs: Just in time for the West Coast run tomorrow. :cool:

·
Registered
895 Posts
inov814u said:
Just had the latest 3M Clear Bra kit installed. :thumbs: This kit is for the Hood/Fender, Bumper, Fog lights, Headlights, Mirrors and Tire Splash Guards. I also had them do a custom piece for windshield frame. :yesnod:

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. :thumbs: Just in time for the West Coast run tomorrow. :cool:
I hope to see how it came out tomorrow in San Simeon. I do not see you signed up to attend. Here is the link so Crimson Avenger can get a head count for reservstions.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7415

Sitting Duck :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
San Simeon

I'm not going to make it to San Simeon, :( just Big Sur. Will run with the pack for a short while but have commitments for Sunday. Hope you make the Big Sur run.

·
2,574 Posts
inov814u said:

Give us some more feedback as you have/get it please inov. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pics please?

inov814u said:

Very interesting. Can you post some pics so we can see first hand?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
How much did it cost?

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I checked out the 3M product at one installer here in Houston. He sent me over to the Lexus dealer where he has done quite a few installs. I did not like doing part of the hood. His left a very visible line across the hood.

I thought I might do the section below the hood, there would be no line since it would come up only to the open are below the hood. I would do the side panels, the backs of the mirrors, and maybe the lower section under the doors, leaving visible lines after the door to the rear wheel wells, but not as noticeable there.

For the normal application, he told me $550, but for the reduced coverage, he said $450. Still thinking about it.

So, does yours show a visible line across the hood?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Question

inov814u said:

Was this in a kit for the Solstice with pre cut peices or did he have to custom cut out each peice? If I can find a kit I can do it. Anyone know of a kit for us?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hood line

gizmo2004 said:
I checked out the 3M product at one installer here in Houston. He sent me over to the Lexus dealer where he has done quite a few installs. I did not like doing part of the hood. His left a very visible line across the hood.

I thought I might do the section below the hood, there would be no line since it would come up only to the open are below the hood. I would do the side panels, the backs of the mirrors, and maybe the lower section under the doors, leaving visible lines after the door to the rear wheel wells, but not as noticeable there.

For the normal application, he told me $550, but for the reduced coverage, he said $450. Still thinking about it.

So, does yours show a visible line across the hood?

If you get all the pieces that's a good deal!
Yes, it is visible from only a couple of angles. It is less disruptive to the form that a lether bra. I took pictures but you couldn't see it, I guess that's the Idea. You may re-think it when a rock chip shows up on that beautiful hood, but then it would be to late. I know that the Cool covers easyier an was told that darker colors are much more difficult.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Chuck said:
Was this in a kit for the Solstice with pre cut peices or did he have to custom cut out each peice? If I can find a kit I can do it. Anyone know of a kit for us?

A company named Road Block already has a Kit. they are not 3M. Their cost is in the 300 to 400 range. Still waiting to see one on a car before I commit to one.

I personally have 3M on my GTO and it looks great. It was done custom by a guy who has done tinting work for 20 years.

Gizmo - if the job is custom then they can do the entire hood and prevent the line. That way your whole hood is protected and you cannot tell that anything was done. It would be costly, but just imagine having complete protection for your car. Because of the hoods angle it might be a good idea anyways.

·
Registered
109 Posts
clear bra

I have had clear bra (3M) on my S2000, 350Z and my Lotus Elise. I now have one ordered for my Sly (should be in today) because they work great and when put on properly are not noticeable at all.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
dealernut said:
A company named Road Block already has a Kit. they are not 3M. Their cost is in the 300 to 400 range. Still waiting to see one on a car before I commit to one.

I personally have 3M on my GTO and it looks great. It was done custom by a guy who has done tinting work for 20 years.

Gizmo - if the job is custom then they can do the entire hood and prevent the line. That way your whole hood is protected and you cannot tell that anything was done. It would be costly, but just imagine having complete protection for your car. Because of the hoods angle it might be a good idea anyways.
That's probably the way I will go, unless I see someone doing a better job with halfway up the hood. As you said, even BETTER protection!

[QUOTEinov814u]I know that the Cool covers easyier an was told that darker colors are much more difficult.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at a couple of white Lexus, looked terrible from almost any angle except down low in front.

This guy did not have any kit so he would have to cut it custom.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chuck said:
There is kit on Ebay for sale. Look up 8011834293. It has a Buy It Now price
of $220.00.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
For those interested I have found a site with a similar product it might be 3-m material but it has a factory trained installer locator, which might be a good thing for some. As for me I’m still awaiting my car very soon I hope. Can’t wait to see a live example of the clear covering. Can’t wait even more to see my car!!!!

http://www.xpel.com/products/dealersearch.asp

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
dozin said:
For those interested I have found a site with a similar product it might be 3-m material but it has a factory trained installer locator, which might be a good thing for some. As for me I’m still awaiting my car very soon I hope. Can’t wait to see a live example of the clear covering. Can’t wait even more to see my car!!!!

http://www.xpel.com/products/dealersearch.asp
I've heard that you might not want to use X-Pel Headlamp Protection. The halogen bulb would get even hotter and burn out a lot quicker, and they are EXPENSIVE!

EDIT NOTE: The website says the product is warranted by 3M, so it is the same product.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Chuck said:
2 links w/kits, last link for info

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html around $188.00
http://www.clearmask.com/ around $220.00
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSYWQBNVHBbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_PKD7VS0CHGgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
lepiane said:
Good links for the sites ... but keep in mind that both places have more than one kit. One kit is for the bumper only and another kit for the hood and mirrors. Looks like both kits together will run you closer to $400 than $200. Then there are some extra kits for things like lights and doors.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
SlySol said:
Good links for the sites ... but keep in mind that both places have more than one kit. One kit is for the bumper only and another kit for the hood and mirrors. Looks like both kits together will run you closer to $400 than $200. Then there are some extra kits for things like lights and doors.
What you have to remember about the clear bra is that it only looks as good as the quality of the installer. Practice makes perfect with this product and a first time installer with a kit will look nowhere near as good as an installation done by a pro who has installed this product on many cars. You will definately get what you paid for with a kit deal as compare to the professional installation.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kit

Chuck said:
Most car window tint places provide the 3M Paint Protector. They have a plotter that cuts the pattern from a computer program. I would think they would sell you the sheet off the plotter. Although, even the pro installers make mistakes I sat and watched him install it and it takes quite some skill he had to reprint the lamp covers after they just wouldn't sit right due to the never-ending series of curves that is the Solstice. It takes an artist to do the bumper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts