Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the clear front end protection like the product called star shield? I saw a lotus elise with the star shield product and thought it was a better option than a bra.

What are you going to use to protect the front of your solstice from bugs and rock chips?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Clear Bra for the Solstice......

All4Roadsters said:
What do you think of the clear front end protection like the product called star shield? I saw a lotus elise with the star shield product and thought it was a better option than a bra.

What are you going to use to protect the front of your solstice from bugs and rock chips?
I just test drove a Lotus Elise on Monday. Yes, it had the star shield (3M) protective clear bra. Dealers sell the option for $995. There's another company call Premier that also sells and installs the clear bra (maybe less than $995). Anyone know of other companies? I will have it installed on my Solstice and definitely on the Elise, if I decide to purchase one. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
8,258 Posts
that's the way i'm going

I've seen it done on other vehicles at my dealership and mine will be prepped that way as part of the PDI

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
For those in the northeast Ohio area, I have had my last 2 vehicles done at Rick's Graphics in Portage Lakes. Excellent quality, decent pricing (I am not affiliated with him, just extremely happy with his work).

HTH

PS, if anyone would like to see pictures of the new west vehicle done, just ask and I will post a link. Be very aware that the links will be to VERY large files and are NOT 56K friendly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
endeavorc said:
For those in the northeast Ohio area, I have had my last 2 vehicles done at Rick's Graphics in Portage Lakes. Excellent quality, decent pricing (I am not affiliated with him, just extremely happy with his work).

HTH

PS, if anyone would like to see pictures of the new west vehicle done, just ask and I will post a link. Be very aware that the links will be to VERY large files and are NOT 56K friendly.
I would like to see ...please post.

·
Registered
199 Posts
:agree: I wouldnt mind taking a look at them it'll be much appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
autosupermart.com try that

If you search for 3m clear film there you can buy the film in rolls for door edges and behind the tires, you can probably get a kit also on that site for it. search under xpel or just email them as this is a new car

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
There has been alot of talk, but has any of the 1st 1K applied the clear bra? :confused: I thought one of the Northern 1st 1K would have by now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
3M Installed TODAY!!!

Just got home!! All Day job with the 3M coating.. It is Fantastic!!!!
He started at 11AM and finished at 7PM

He washed and claybared the entire car.

He couldnt do the entire hood. It comes in 48 in max widths.
He got most of the hood.
The entire front Bumper
The front headlights
The side view mirrors.
Around all 4 wheels ( no mud flaps needed now)
And i asked for a rectangular piece in the center, between the butruss. THis is where i slam the rear trunk shut.
And both door edges....

After the 3M, he buffed the car. Got rid of any swirl marks. Waxed it and glazed it with my wax.

And vacuumed the interior..

Well ready for the price..................

$1200

Its alot of money...

But i dont need mud flaps or a black bra....

I think its good protection for the investment!!!

PS... The paint protection does "shine"... if you look at the hood, it does "appear" like a bad case of "orange peel"

But you can only see the "line" if the sun hits it just right...
You see where the "orange peel" ends and the regualar paint starts.

PS: It was done at "Top of the Line" in Lodi, NJ
http://www.topofthelinetint.com

VERY,. VERY satisified....
:) :) :)
Frank

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
My concern would be the longterm effects on the breathability of teh paint underneath and also of UV damage on horizontal surfaces, but to each their own - each Sol does come with two pieces of such material already installed under AFBTS.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
My concern would be the longterm effects on the breathability of teh paint underneath and also of UV damage on horizontal surfaces, but to each their own - each Sol does come with two pieces of such material already installed under AFBTS.
Lotus offers an extensive kit for the Elise. I believe they did for the Espirit too. I don't think they'd offer kits if it was going to cause long term damage.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It is pretty much the same material used for Vehicle Wraps (the over laminate) it does breathe, and I have yet to see it yellow. I own a Signs & Graphics business and we use this stuff all day long for vehicle graphics and protection. It is made to conform around corners and curves. I wouldn't recommend anything else but 3M and it does come in 60" wide rolls.

Wife of Sol Survivor

·
Registered
265 Posts
i've been interested in something like this for my sol (when it arrives)..

anyone have any recommendations in the milwaukee (or even chicago) area?

thanks!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sol Survivor said:
It is pretty much the same material used for Vehicle Wraps (the over laminate) it does breathe, and I have yet to see it yellow. I own a Signs & Graphics business and we use this stuff all day long for vehicle graphics and protection. It is made to conform around corners and curves. I wouldn't recommend anything else but 3M and it does come in 60" wide rolls.

Wife of Sol Survivor

Can you put it on after a new car is waxed?
Should I have it installed prior to waxing?
Sitting Duck

·
Registered
25 Posts
It doesn't really matter because they will take the wax off of the areas that the film will be installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, I have the clear bra material on my Audi A4. I've had it on there for about 3 years now. It's great and I highly recommend it. Here in the northeast there's so much dirt and gravel on the roads (from the winter snow) it's absolutely necessary if your a fuss pot like me.

Mine has never gotten yellow or peeled off. My recommendation is to have it done by someone who has done it before and knows what they're doing. It goes by several names: x-pel, scotchguard, etc. In most cases, it's made by 3M. I think years ago maybe the quality was poor, but today's material is top-notch. Yes, it does breath a little. In fact, when you have it installed don't be disappointed if there's bubbles underneath containing liquid. Sometimes the installer cannot squeeze all the fluid out, but it should evaporate over time through the microscopic pores in the material. Leaving the car in the sun will expediate the evaporation process. Mine had a few tiny bubbles in the headlights (yes, I even had my headlights done) and they disappeared after 3 months (that was in the dreary wintertime).

The black plastic bras of years ago are things of the past. With those, they flap too much and scratch the surface, and they hold sand and dirt which rubs against the car's finish. These clear bra's are the way to go. For my Audi, I had the material put on 8 months after my purchase. I promise myself for the next car I purchase, I'm having it installed immediately after I drive the car off the lot. I probably wouldn't have the dealer install it, but I rather feel more secure having a high quality detailer (somebody authorized) install it. It takes some skill and experience to get it right. I would recommend asking any installer to see some of the work before committing to them.

The best part is that when I decide to remove it in a few years (because if I sell the car or if the material gets too beat up), underneath will be a flawless front end, free of dings, chips or pitting.

I like the Solstice. It would be a shame for the front ends to get all pitted. They appear highly susceptable to chipping and pitting. Nothing looks worst than a dark colored car with pock marks all over the front end. Silver and the lighter colors can sometimes get away with it because it isn't as noticable. I have my clear bra on my Audi and its color is light silver. The paints used today (waterbased) are not as strong as the paints used years ago because of all the EPA regulations. Particuarly, cars in the northeast need the clear bra. Even if you don't drive your car in the winter time, a lot of that gravel and salt **** lingers on the roads well into the summer months. It never really goes away and all it takes is one pebble tossed up from the vehicle in front of you to give your car a nasty pit mark.

As you can probably tell, I'm anal about keeping a car's finish in mint shape. Someday maybe I'll get a Solstice and I would definitely get a clear bra for mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.