Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few of you guys have removed the paint protectors from the trunk lid. I was wonder if anyone has any issues with scuffs and scratches from the top and what method did you use to get them off?

The NA's are turning yellow and cracking. I'd like to just remove the protectors but I want to make sure I'm not just creating a new problem.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I know a few of you guys have removed the paint protectors from the trunk lid. I was wonder if anyone has any issues with scuffs and scratches from the top and what method did you use to get them off?

The NA's are turning yellow and cracking. I'd like to just remove the protectors but I want to make sure I'm not just creating a new problem.
Check the buttresses when they are down to see whether they touch the trunk lid. If they don't, remove them with a hair dryer and peel then up.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Removed mine because they were peeling up. Top does touch those surfaces. No scratches.

Could probably make new ones from material available at any auto parts store or graphics shop. I believe OE parts are still available.

·
Registered
2006 Cool Silver NA 2008 Pure White NA
433 Posts
Mine were broken and discolored. Had them removed at a body shop. The bottom of the buttress does not touch the deck lid on mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picking up my 07 Black GXP from full repaint today and was looking for this kind of confirmation, that I don't need to reapply those stickers. Good to see.
Before painting I had removed the dried out protectors (slow arduous job) and replaced with some matte black adhesive film from Oreillys for like 6 bucks. worked great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Picking up my 07 Black GXP from full repaint today and was looking for this kind of confirmation, that I don't need to reapply those stickers. Good to see.
Before painting I had removed the dried out protectors (slow arduous job) and replaced with some matte black adhesive film from Oreillys for like 6 bucks. worked great.
how did you remove - heat gun? was any residue left over?

·
Registered
4 Posts
how did you remove - heat gun? was any residue left over?
Removed as carefully as possible with a razor/scraper and goo gone. It took a while, and I did make small knick in one spot. there was a very slight discoloration there but no residue. There is probably a better method for removal but I knew I was going to cover it back up and was planning on paint job. I was pleased with the black vinyl I applied, looked all right.

·
Premium Member
17,550 Posts
This is a two-year-old thread. But . .. in my experience these plastic shields are not necessary and can be removed safely.

With the trunk closed and the buttresses latched, inspect the area between the buttress and the trunk lid. You should see a significant space between the two that means the buttress does not come into contact with the trunk.

Mild heat is recommended. Do not overheat it as you can cause damage to the paint or melt the plastic and make it more challenging to remove.

It is highly likely that there will be some residue however it is relatively easy to remove. I first use alcohol on a microfiber towel. Let the alcohol wet the adhesive then gently wipe it off. If that does not provide a satisfactory result, try a commercial glue remover.

AmazonSmile: Goo Gone Adhesive Remover - 8 Ounce - Surface Safe Adhesive Remover Safely Removes Stickers Labels Decals Residue Tape Chewing Gum Grease Tar

Mine have been off the cars for 14 years but if memory serves, the plastic is mounted under the buttress latch bezel. These chrome rings are held in place with 3M badge tape. You can heat them then use a plastic panel tool to pop them off as part of the plastic shield removal process. You can then either reactivate the factory tape by heating them and pressing them back in place or better yet, buy some 3M badge tape and replace the tape and reinstall the bezel.

AmazonSmile: 3M 06385 Nameplate Repair Tape : Automotive

This tape is narrower and thinner than reglar 3m badge tape. You can clean off the back side of the chrome bezels with alchol and then apply this tape, trimming it to fit. Works just like the factory tape. Problem solved

Here is a post covering this process with pictures

(1) Punisher | Page 119 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

Punisher | Page 117 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Everything that @rob the elder said, adding that I think a plastic razor blade is recommended as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a two-year-old thread. But . .. in my experience these plastic shields are not necessary and can be removed safely.

With the trunk closed and the buttresses latched, inspect the area between the buttress and the trunk lid. You should see a significant space between the two that means the buttress does not come into contact with the trunk.

Mild heat is recommended. Do not overheat it as you can cause damage to the paint or melt the plastic and make it more challenging to remove.

It is highly likely that there will be some residue however it is relatively easy to remove. I first use alcohol on a microfiber towel. Let the alcohol wet the adhesive then gently wipe it off. If that does not provide a satisfactory result, try a commercial glue remover.

AmazonSmile: Goo Gone Adhesive Remover - 8 Ounce - Surface Safe Adhesive Remover Safely Removes Stickers Labels Decals Residue Tape Chewing Gum Grease Tar

Mine have been off the cars for 14 years but if memory serves, the plastic is mounted under the buttress latch bezel. These chrome rings are held in place with 3M badge tape. You can heat them then use a plastic panel tool to pop them off as part of the plastic shield removal process. You can then either reactivate the factory tape by heating them and pressing them back in place or better yet, buy some 3M badge tape and replace the tape and reinstall the bezel.

AmazonSmile: 3M 06385 Nameplate Repair Tape : Automotive

This tape is narrower and thinner than reglar 3m badge tape. You can clean off the back side of the chrome bezels with alchol and then apply this tape, trimming it to fit. Works just like the factory tape. Problem solved

Here is a post covering this process with pictures

Punisher | Page 117 | Pontiac Solstice Forum
After paint I left them alone, didn't apply anything. Top is up and down all the time and no scuffs or anything, looks the same as rest of trunk. Don't need to put anything there if you get off clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts