Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought clear side markers would look so much better than orange on my black 07. Because they are no longer being sold, I was prepared to cut my markers in half, make a mold of the covers, and pour clear epoxy resin to make new markers. However, I saw this thread: Side Marker Lights - 3D Printed and decided to get a set of covers made by the 3d Printing Store.
I ordered the polycarbonate covers, and bonded them to the base of my cut side markers with clear silicone. I did have to "clean up" the covers a little as they looked a bit unfinished (X-acto knife trimming, sanding, polishing, and 2k clear coat, followed by wet sanding, more buffing/ polishing). Then added orange LEDS and installed.

Many thanks to rob the elder and chickenwire for the hard work they put into this project.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I always thought clear side markers would look so much better than orange on my black 07. Because they are no longer being sold, I was prepared to cut my markers in half, make a mold of the covers, and pour clear epoxy resin to make new markers. However, I saw this thread: Side Marker Lights - 3D Printed and decided to get a set of covers made by the 3d Printing Store.
I ordered the polycarbonate covers, and bonded them to the base of my cut side markers with clear silicone. I did have to "clean up" the covers a little as they looked a bit unfinished (X-acto knife trimming, sanding, polishing, and 2k clear coat, followed by wet sanding, more buffing/ polishing). Then added orange LEDS and installed.

Many thanks to rob the elder and chickenwire for the hard work they put into this project.

View attachment 107289

View attachment 107290
really nice !! goes well with that color.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Close-up high res pics please?
These are the lens covers as they arrived. As you can see, they needed some work. One end on both lenses was warped/ misshapened. Not sure if this was an issue with the file, or with the printer/ printing process. But after carefully trimming and sanding, it looked pretty good. The biggest improvement came from clear coating w/ multiple heavy coats, then wetsanding and polishing. It gave the lenses depth. I'll take a close-up pictire of the installed lenses later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts