Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my climate control knobs are unlit. Maybe it's the bulbs. Anyone know the bulb #'s so I can have them on hand before I tear into it? Do I have to pull the whole boomerang and get to the back of the controls or are we so lucky we can just pull the knobs to change the bulbs?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I don't believe they have bulbs in them. If you do have to do anything to them you will have to remove the boomerang as there is no other way to get to them. I don't think you can remove the knobs either.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this, It does address replacing the bulbs , What a PITA..

Info: Change backlight colors on A/C knobs
Thanks for finding that.

So, as far as I can tell I need to remove the boomerang. I can skip knob removal and go straight to popping off the face plate cover with knobs intact. I've got T4.2 red LEDs already from redoing the lighting in my wife's Subaru.

The LEDs are polarity sensitive. Did anyone figure out polarity orientation for new bulbs going back into the faceplate? That way I don't need to snap it back in place to see if I got lucky!

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
The LEDs are polarity sensitive. Did anyone figure out polarity orientation for new bulbs going back into the faceplate? That way I don't need to snap it back in place to see if I got lucky!
Don't know off hand, but you can plug the connectors back in before you replace the controller backplate, and then switch the parking lights on to test. Then turn them around if you don't get light. THEN you can button everything back up. *NOTE* Make sure the connectors are back on the same way as the keyed molding on the back plate, else you could plug in the wrong way round and fry stuff (not good :))

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Duly noted. Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If your just looking to replace the stock bulbs, someone sells them on Ebay for around $10. I put them in and they worked great. Stock bulbs are clear, the color comes from a filter on the knob. If your putting in red LEDs, the color may be different than the rest of your dash.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe all the buttons and knobs on my dash light up except the climate knobs. I'll have to check again tonight once it gets dark enough. But mine's an '08. I would think in this issue your '06 would be the same though.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
From what I have read, you replaced your hazard bulb? Do you recall what size bulb it was ?
Actually, I took my hazard switch apart, because it wasn't working properly, and fixed it - I didn't replace the bulb though.

The bulb is a "grain of rice" type with wires leads crimped/soldered onto the contacts. This type of thing...

Not sure what an equivalent replacement would be. If I had to replace it, I'd probably use an led+resistor.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Point of information:

I tested my LED bulbs and figured out which contact need to be hot and which was ground. Upon installing them, I got them ALL wrong on the first try! The ground contact need to be the upper contact once locked into position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts