Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys i have an 06 solstice that i've had for about 5 months now and over the last couple weeks the performace has severely went down hill. it has 32k miles and the warranty that the dealer had on the car ended about 6k miles ago. I've been reading on here about the cat. warranty but i havent got anything in the mail about a warranty.

Problems:
- used half tank of gas on a trip that would normally take about a quarter.
- Absolutley horrible accleration
- the exhuast sounds much different. kind of like a tin can/clogged
- the harder i push on the gas the less power i have
- there hasnt been any check engine light yet.
- theres a rattle under my car that sounds like the heat shield on occasision during acceleration.
-it seems that there is a "sweet spot" when i accelerate. When i back off on the gas it seems to run better but still not well.
- as im accelerating it sounds like it wants to stall and jerks a little bit
- no noticeable exhaust smell
- car idles perfectly fine

i've been researching and the clogged cat sounds right ..as well as the fuel filter and the TPS. I'm hoping its the cat and that i can still get that warranty without getting anything in the mail. i really cant afford to go into the dealer for any other issues due to just moving a couple weeks ago so any information will be helpful.

*other issue: passenger air bag sensor went out about 1k miles ago.
-really hope this car doesnt turn into a lemon.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Kzoo. I'd put my money on the cat being clogged. A local shop can check pressure to see if it's the case.

My '07 started acting the same way. About 2,700 rpm it hesitates and chugs - worse if you're on the accelerator - better if you "milk it" but you don't have anywhere near the juice you had before. I assume you have the 2.4L N/A?

I assume from your screen name that you're in or near Kalamazoo. Cole in kzoo should be able to run your vin and confirm that you still have emissions warranty coverage - I believe it's 8 years, 100k miles. That same check should also confirm what recalls if any have been fixed or are outstanding.

If it is the cat converter, good luck. My sol's been in the garage for seven weeks now waiting for a replacement. Seems GM is having "negotiations" with the supplier, which I interpret as the guy who got screwed with unpaid invoices when Pontiac was killed.

I've been dealing with Grand Allegan just because they're closer to work. They told me last Wednesday that GM's "regional" service director as able to find a cat from an "alternative source" and it should be here "sometime" this week. Still no word this week, however.

If it's the cat and it should be under warranty, GM will pop for a rental car and you should take 'em up on it. You don't want to keep driving with the cat plugged - you can cause other issues.

Let me know how you make out. I have a hi-flow from clear image shipping any day now, but I'm still holding GM to getting the replacement that they will continue to honor under the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Oh - and I experience the "rattle" and changed exhaust sound also. I noticed the rattle was worst with a cold engine and when the engine slowed during shifts. It did indeed sound like a heat shield vibrating. It did tend to go away after 5-10 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks man, im just about to go to autozone and get a code read out now. Yeai have the 2.4L and im in kalamazoo now, i got the car from that don seely dealership up here and i've now heard nothing good about them. ill check out cole instead

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I've heard both good and bad about Seely. If it's covered under the emissions warranty you'll have to be at a GM approved dealer for the work anyway and I know that Cole is one of them.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
On Westnedge in Portage. They're the GMC/Buick/Caddy dealer and I believe the one that's approved by GM for warranty work. If it's warranty work, the diagnosis is free of charge but that's always a double edged sword. If it's not, then you'll pay for the diagnostic....PROBABLY. Many dealers won't charge in order to get your business.

Call and ask. 743 0073 is their service #.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car is covered under the warranty so hopefully the cat is the problem. The car goes in monday so i will post the results asap. thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
691 Posts
FYI...All 2006 Solstices have a 120,000 mile extended warranty on the cat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so it is the cat and now im waiting for the cat to come in ..hopefully they can get it in asap..they ordered it last monday and said it was on backorder =\

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Didja get a rental Kzoo? I just closed out 2 months waiting for a cat.

Last I was told (last Thursday) was that they were "on order" and would be sent from the supplier "overseas" to their "shipper", then the "shipper" would send them out to the dealers. They have "150 on order and that will cover all of our back orders so I can just about guarantee one of these will be sent to your dealer."

Oh, and they still don't have a ship date or expected delivery date for when they "can just about guarantee" that I'll get one.

If yours is backorder number 151 it might be a while.

I'd suggest you request a 4x4 for a rental - might come in handy this winter.

:cuss:

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you are new to these 4 banger my money for the rattle is that you are under-speed and when you accelerate (once the cat is fixed) you will not have that rattle.I also thought it was a heat shield just the typical sound of these little 4 banger.Great car ,love it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Damn I would hate to be 151

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
fosti - the rattle definitely went away when I put the hi-flow cat on mine. I did place an oversize washer on the bottom bolt for the heatshield over the exhaust header - I noticed it had eaten it's way through. I don't think that was the rattle though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great to hear ,you will get the car the way you want it to be in time ,we all have some sort of little things we like to get better.That is the fun of owning one of these toys.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Kalling Kazoo - you out there? My dealer called me today to tell me he had a cat "in his hands". Hopefully your dealer did the same or will shortly. Let us know how you made out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
WEWT definitely not #151 haha I just had the cat replaced this morning with 110% improvement. I'm not sure about this but either i am just so used to not having power when i accelerate or my cat had been bad since i got the car because the acceleration was always pretty sluggish with no real pull but NOW, its great! for a N/A of course =)

next steps:
GXP exhaust
Stock wheels done in Deep metallic blue (i like the stock wheel look)
Eibach Springs

Distant Future:
Hahns stage 2 setup and other toys

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maaann CEL just came on and ran a P0014 code...reeeaaallllyyy ...first the passenger airbag sensor, then the cat, and now this ...should have gotten a GXP!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts