Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined up today fellas!
So I've read all the posts in this forum religiously and pretty much know what to be looking for leaky diff case, under carriage damage, etc. She's 5 hours away so I haven't met up yet but will be in the next few days. My only concern that I've been hearing is that replacing the water pump is par for the course and is something I WILL HAVE to replace. I've looked at the carfax(yes they don't say everything) and it doesn't show any maintenance being done as far as coolant being replaced/flushed at all. Is calling a gm dealership to get maintenance records something that can be done? At 52k I've been seeing thats around the time it needs to be replaced. Am I being overly concerned here? They're asking $11k for anyone interested which to me seems to be a fair price.

Thanks in Advance!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the new wheels when you get them. Don't worry needlessly about whether or not the coolant has been changed, just change it when you get it. A GM dealer may be able to tell you what other GM dealers have serviced on the car, or they may not. As to the water pump, they don't all go bad at 30K to 50K miles, some last much longer, again, it's not something you need to obsess about.

Anyway, enjoy it, and ask questions as you need to.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Welcome to the madness ! Get the vin number off the car before you buy it and go to an authorized GM dealer he will be able to tell you any maintenance or recall work that was done at a GM dealer .Are you buying from a dealer or private owner ?if it's a private owner ask to see any receipts for work done on the car and history , give the car a good going over . At this point many of these cars are enthusiast owned and taken care of or just drivers that somebody is trying to unload to move on .As with any car the overall condition will tell you a lot about it a dead give away for me is the engine compartment and interior . If your getting it from a dealer just remember that a good detail can hide a lot of past issues . As for the water pump as Dave stated it's hit or miss so if it's a really nice car it would not stop me from buying it .GM recommends the coolant (Dex Cool) be changed every 5 years or sooner depending on the mileage or use , open the radiator reserve and look at how clean it appears that will tell you a lot .As for the price 11K would be in the ballpark for a really clean car with no major maintenance issues like tires , battery ,paintwork ,etc. and remember you can always make an offer especially if the car has been for sale for awhile .Good Luck !

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Welcome, and as other have said go (don't call), to a GM dealership and have the VIN run for service records. Though if I had to choose a GM dealer I'd probably try a Cadillac first. Mainly, because GM knows their Cadillac clientele have a higher expectation of customer service than other GM Divisions.

Also, I'm not sure your are aware but a new passenger airbag sensor recall has recently been announced, however GM is still trying to figure out how they are going to fix it. So if the airbag light is on you could use that to your bargaining advantage since a dealer could charge $800 and up. If you have the VIN you can go here and check on any other recalls: www.gmrecalls

I'd also buy a vehicle history report to check for number of owners and accidents. For me a good indicator that a car is probably a good one is that the less number of owners the better chances that it owner(s) were happy w/it.

At 52,000 it's been driven around 5,000 miles a year which means it was probably a recreational car more than a daily driver. The price sounds like it's in the ballpark for an 07 GXP (btw, manual or auto?) w/those miles, though I'd probably offer around $9K, and bid up from there.

These are fun cars as long as you know about and accept their imperfections. For example, the manual top received loads of criticisms from car writers back in the day because it involves several steps. However, what they always failed to mentioned is how much cleaner the rear bonnet looks by having the canvas top stored in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Okay, I'm the naysayer of the group....I'll tell you everything that might happen so you are prepared and informed. Not trying to scare, just trying to inform!!! Remember that! First major concern is the WP. It's about $900-$1200 to fix. When you have an oil change, it MUST be 100% synthetic and should be MOBIL 1. Make sure to try and never run the gas below 1/4 tank...try to never allow the low fuel warning light to come on as you may overheat the High Pressure Fuel Pump....another $1500 repair. Make sure when you first get it you tighten all hub bolts to 110lbs. There are 3 on each wheel and I think it was the '07 were notorious for loosening up because they weren't torqued down. Of course their is the airbag recall, the rear end recall and the ignition recall. There are several other items that I can't think of right now....

Now that I've "informed" you, I guarantee, the love for this car, once you have it, will out way any issue you might have. I'm tuned and have a Challenger R/T with a hemi as a daily....I pulled my Solstice out of storage yesterday and I have no words for the fun I had driving it for 1/2 hour. I got 2 people giving me thumbs up.... These cars are awesome and with their quirks and expenses are worth the money.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome,

As another recent 1st time owner I highly recommend this site, very knowledgeable and helpful members here! As already stated as long as you are areware of the big limitations of the Kappa's like limited storage space, and are aware of the types potential problems (sounds like you are) I highly recommend the purchase.
The asking price of the car you are looking at seems to be in the reasonable range, but lower is always better! And definatly do some research. My car did not have either the ignition switch or the rear axle recall done to it when I purchased it in November. My local favorate expontiac dealer had no issue in doing the work, and seemed happy to do it. Even though they are now a Buick/GMC Dealer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In spite of my 'handle' (if that is what they are called), I also own a Solstice, and I would go with ChopTop's suggestion of price (that is if your haven't already committed to a purchase price). ChopTop posts most of the seller listings across the nation and is most familiar with what these cars are selling for. I agree with all the suggested items to be aware of.

A couple of things not mentioned are 1) assure the doors are closed when closing the hood, 2) when lowering the convertible top, DO NOT return the release handle to the closed position as you lower the top into the trunk (the lock will get bent), 3) locate the slotted lift points on both sides and assure any shop lifting your car is doing so at those points (maybe more critical on the SKY, but can't hurt on the Sols too). Many owners, including myself, purchase lift pucks and place them permanently in those lift slots. Mine are BMW pucks. For shops lifting my cars, the manager must participate each time in a discussion of using the pucks before any technician lifts my cars. So far, so good!

When I bought my Solstice recently, the GM dealer I visited about service records told me only services reported to GM corporate would show up for him. That was true, as I was being told by the seller that he had 35 pages of service records from the original Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealer who originally sold the car. My local GM Chev dealer only found the differential seal recall and some miscellaneous items on his factory record. As suggested, do try to get any service records the seller may have.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge about these cars. Welcome and we hope to see you here often. :dthumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay, I'm the naysayer of the group....I'll tell you everything that might happen so you are prepared and informed. Not trying to scare, just trying to inform!!! Remember that! First major concern is the WP. It's about $900-$1200 to fix. When you have an oil change, it MUST be 100% synthetic and should be MOBIL 1. Make sure to try and never run the gas below 1/4 tank...try to never allow the low fuel warning light to come on as you may overheat the High Pressure Fuel Pump....another $1500 repair. Make sure when you first get it you tighten all hub bolts to 110lbs. There are 3 on each wheel and I think it was the '07 were notorious for loosening up because they weren't torqued down. Of course their is the airbag recall, the rear end recall and the ignition recall. There are several other items that I can't think of right now....

Now that I've "informed" you, I guarantee, the love for this car, once you have it, will out way any issue you might have. I'm tuned and have a Challenger R/T with a hemi as a daily....I pulled my Solstice out of storage yesterday and I have no words for the fun I had driving it for 1/2 hour. I got 2 people giving me thumbs up.... These cars are awesome and with their quirks and expenses are worth the money.
High pressure fuel pump cost about $320 on Rock Auto and if you can turn a wrench, takes about an hour to replace. Don't pay anyone $1500 for that repair. Just went through our '09 GXP for a P2178 code - causes are various and not definitive. Cleaned the air filter, replaced the MAF and O2 upstream sensor. Still had the code. Took it to the dealer to diagnose if it was the HPFP or the intercooler. They said HPFP and wanted $1180. No thanks, I'll do it myself. Replaced the HPFP, still had the code. Took the front bumper off and inspected the IC. Prior owner must have hit it on something. Driver side had been dinged pretty good enought to pop the lower bracket bolt out. Bought a Werks IC. Installed it and the code is gone. Delare may have missed the IC leak because when cold, it would boost. Once it warmed up, whatever minor crack it had would open up and no more boost.

Bought our GXP in 2014 with 8100 miles. It now has 68K! We love it as a replacement for our '06 NA.

·
Premium Member
10,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hi CottoniJoe,

Welcome to the forum.

Can I share my experiences with buying two 2007 GXPs from long distance? Well here goes -

I had new car fever really bad after I saw the early advertisements for GXPs. The first GXP we purchased was an Aggressive (Red) automatic in August 2008. I saw it on eBay for $23,000. I live in Lexington, Ky and the car was in Houston, Tx. The eBay description said it was loaded and had 2.5K miles on it. This was considerably less than the new ones for sale at the local dealership. The CARFAX was clean. I offered the used car dealer that had the car $20k and we ended up agreeing to $21k if I liked it. My wife and I flew to Houston to look at the car. The seller had bought the car at auction after it had been repossessed from a lady that bought it for her young son The seller only had 1 key. It had been heavily modded. Aftermarket CAI, Magnaflow exhaust system, extremely lowered suspension (Eibach springs). After test driving the car and saying wow it sounds weird but kinda good and it seems to run well we bought it and drove it back to Lexington, Ky. I immediately took it to the local Pontiac dealer and had him check it over. He found where the kid had damaged the stock radio, the automatic shifter, and the climate control while trying to install an aftermarket radio. The dealer replaced the damaged stock radio and replaced the differential seal as warranty work. He fixed the shifter, climate control, and programmed a new fob and key for $800. That GXP became my daily driver until I sold it 53K miles later in October 2013. I only had to do oil changes, have the tires replaced, replace a headlight bulb, and have a $350 repair on a fuel rail sensor replacement done. The car sold for $13,500. (The CAI and muffler only made it sound different. The car never had a performance tune.) I loved every minute of driving that car.

I really missed my GXP. Last August I began to whine to my wife about selling the 'vert. She found an Envious (Green) GXP replacement candidate on Craigslist that had 34K miles on it and was 100% stock with an automatic transmission. The owner said it was in good shape and wanted $10,300 for it. I asked for the VIN. Ran a CARFAX which was clean. A two owner car and no reported accidents. I called the owner up and told him we would drive up and look at it. If it checked out I would give him what he was asking for it. This car became my current GXP. We drove it home and put on a new set of General G-MAX AS-03 tires. That has been the only essential item that I have had to shell out cash for. Since it isn't under warranty, I did not take the car for inspection by the local Buick dealer. The PO had all records of oil changes, battery replacements, and warranty work for me.,

The PO had disclosed to me that it did have a "malformed" lower bumper lip which is barely noticeable. And I have found the customary fender damage where the shops have lifted it incorrectly. Having lived with a beat up bumper lip on the first GXP, I probably will be very slow about getting the bumper damage fixed. Not gonna do anything about the lift damage either since I am probably the only one that has seen it or knows about it.

I hope you get your GXP. I hope you have very few issues with it. And I hope you enjoy it for years to come. :cheers:

PS - I hope the "water pump gremlins" are not gonna decide my turn has come anytime soon. :devil:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up: Wow!

Thanks for all the replies guys! This really helps! As for the car details: It is an mt aggressive red model. Wanting $11k with 52k mls. As per the responses I've gotten I'll definitely be negotiating the price to around the 9-10 range. I live 5 hours away from the dealership and this weekend happened to be spring break so I haven't been able to rent a car to get down there. I'll be using it as a daily driver until the winter rolls around then getting something a little more winter worthy. I'll be stopping in at a local gm(cadillac) dealership to check the service records today sometime. Thanks to the forum and you guys I'll know what to look for. I get it if I dont get something that in perfect condition. I can deal with some of the issues(i did see a recent post about a guy getting one and it ended up having a blown hg. I'll admit i got a little bummed but understand this is pretty rare). I've seen the passenger air bag sensor issue on the recall list. I'm assuming there's a dash indicator that would say if it's malfunctioning or not?

Again thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
For me, I fell in love with the Solstice after seeing it on the Apprentice, and then kind of forgot about it. After taking a Miata for a test drive, and trying to talk my wife into the $9999 Cdn price tag, she said it was a girls car, so I kept looking. I had stumbled on the Solstice again, and was looking in the auto trade papers and found one of the first 1000 up here in Canada. Took it for a test drive, but at the time he was asking $23,000 Cdn. In my head I had a $15,000 budget so we couldn't come to an agreement. A year later, looking and driving more Solstices, I took a drive on a day off to see a red Solstice about an hour from home. My wife texted me to see how far I had come on my "Honey Do" list for the day, so I texted a pick of this red car I was looking at. She laughed and said she was talking to her friends at work, and if I wanted a sports car, get a black or silver one. I had to ask her to repeat that, and when she said the same thing over, I took that as finally giving in. I guess she was sick of me up at night scouring ads, so I pulled over and did a quick search. A black 2007 GXP was just listed, and they were asking $11,888. I changed my day off to the following day, and drove to the dealership in Toronto. I took it for a spin, and came back and said "I'll take it!" They told me a bit of info, that the speedo had been replaced art 40,000 kms, so the mileage I saw was +40,000. I paused and said "ok, I'll take it still!" I was thinking to myself, that he doesn't realize how many Solstices I had looked at, and the fact that this was a GXP, and my wife finally caved, I didn't care if it didn't have tires! I would buy tires so that I had a "hobby"! Anyways, since then my understanding is that the ECM holds mileage, the speedo only displays it. So if that was the case, I got a deal, since they had priced to comparable mileages in the market. Since I did buy under the guise that I wanted it as a hobby, I have used the forum for lots of advice, have fixed my AC when the thingy under the dash fried, found a replacement driver handle online to replace the dechromed one, used a rubber treatment to lubricate and renew the seals, just ordered camshaft actuators, or solenoids, whatever they are called to replace the ones throwing the P0011 code. I bought a car cover for the winter, a battery tender for winter (after battery died the first winter..it wasn't stock, so I replaced with stock OEM). Oh, and I put rear brake spider LED's in, and the third brake scanning LED light. Just fun stuff for now. But looking to get new tires, rims, lambo door latches, maybe a paint job to fix a couple scratches, and maybe a tune. But to tell you the truth, the HP it has now is pretty fun! Oh, some advice? Don't take it thru a car wash! I learned the hard way, and got soaked!:
=

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
I've seen the passenger air bag sensor issue on the recall list. I'm assuming there's a dash indicator that would say if it's malfunctioning or not?
Yes there's a dash light that stays on, and that's how most folks find out it's going to cost them several hundred dollars to have it replace. If it is on, and the dealer doesn't know about the recall you could use that to your advantage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't want to do it but the Aggressive Red mt GXP are selling kind of quick for some reason so I put the old $500 to hold it. It's been a week since they took it off the lot and won't be able to get down there until Saturday. We shall see.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Congrats and enjoy your new car. One suggestion, lose the chrome headlights and go w/OEM black headlights, or go the DIY Easy Off route. While I like chrome, I've never been a fan of the Damn Edna chrome headlights.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Congrats ! Nice looking car like the blacked out wheels .One thing you should consider doing in the near future is cleaning and applying a protectant to the top . A lot of us use Raggtopp which is recommended by a lot of manufactures a complete kit (cleaner ,protectant ,brush) runs around 45 bucks Ebay and Amazon are good sources to find the stuff .I would do a flush and fill on the cooling system just to be safe my local dealer charges $ 125.00 (last time I checked) but it's not that hard to do at home and there are threads on this on the forum .Again a great looking car and hope you enjoy it for many years to come :driving:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts