Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that you guys and girls have the car....

Honestly....is it a bit of a pain in the @ss to stow something in the trunk with the top up? or is it a non event..

I really would like to know if putting stuff in the trunk with a rearward opening trunk is annoying or nothing at all special..

Biggest concern...(cars for wife who shops at the mall) how is it to reconnect the two rear sail panels on the roof after the merchandise has been put in the trunk..and the trunk is closed..

I know it sounds crazy....but believe it or not...its a potiential issue for my better half..

She loves the look but at close to 50 not sure if she'll hate the car because of it..

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

Sail panels are not an issue. They snap up out of the way when you hit unlock on the key fob and all you have to do to close the trunk is push it shut and then push down each panel until it locks in the trunk holes.

The ammount of storage in the trunk is an issue though. The storage, with the top down is limited to only the area behind the gas tank as the top mechanism goes down beside the tank. With the top up there is more storage.

I absolutely love the looks and the way it drives.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
It seems different to load the trunk from the side, but the top really isn't a problem. If you are creative, you can get a fair amount in the trunk if you try. If your wife likes to shop a lot take her in the Solstice, that will limit her buying power! :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
CanSol said:
Sail panels are not an issue. They snap up out of the way when you hit unlock on the key fob and all you have to do to close the trunk is push it shut and then push down each panel until it locks in the trunk holes.

The ammount of storage in the trunk is an issue though. The storage, with the top down is limited to only the area behind the gas tank as the top mechanism goes down beside the tank. With the top up there is more storage.

I absolutely love the looks and the way it drives.
Does that mean you got your car??? I just got mine last Friday the 21st and yes they are a sweet ride :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It's a tiny bit annoying because you do have to walk around the car to the other side in order to snap down the other winglet, but I like the look of the top enough that I wouldn't have it any other way. I only use the trunk a couple times a week anyway. But it might get on my nerves if I was a courier or something and had to get back there several times a day. :lol:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
To me it's nothing. But you wife won't be doing to much buying with this car unless she uses the pasenger seat.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! This could be a win win ! :lol:

Awesome car for sure.

Great group of owners too!

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

redhot said:
Does that mean you got your car??? I just got mine last Friday the 21st and yes they are a sweet ride :yesnod:
Yes, I got the first one in Vancouver and I have had it for just over two weeks. Send me a PM if you are ever in Vamcouver.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The wings aren't difficult to snap into place. It only takes an extra 5-10 seconds to put the top up as such. If that takes up too much time for you, all I can do is laugh. As someone stated, this isn't a shopping car. The lack of storage and the buttress have been known for a long time. Take the car into perspective for what it is. It isn't the right car for everyone or all occasions. These comments aren't directed at anyone in particular and they actually deviate from the original question. I went on a weekend vacation with my girlfriend last weekend and there was plenty of storage space in the trunk and behind the seats. For a weekend trip, some people need to pack like they're going around the world for a 100 days. This isn't the car for them and it certainly wouldn't accomodate a shopping experience at the mall. I actually enjoy the packing process. It kind of fun (in a sick way) to see how much you can store in the car with the limited space. It's unique to the car. You need to plan well.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think if your wife plans to use the trunk alot, she might find it annoying. I end up putting most stuff in the passenger seat. Also access to the tiny amount of storage space in the trunk with the top down is maybe more than your wife may want to deal with. To get anything in there, you have to lift the top up almost half way, and then you have to make sure that it doesn't obstruct the top in any way, otherwise you won't get the trunk shut.

My advice would be, if this car's purpose is a car for your wife to go shopping in, I would consider another car.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Top? It comes with a top? What is that used for?
I've had the car for sixteen days now, still haven't found the top. :)

Ex-Miata Man said: "If your wife likes to shop a lot take her in the Solstice, that will limit her buying power! "

Great idea, dude!

SCISOLSTICE said: "The Solstice is not a grocery getter it's a sports car.

Words of wisdom!

Well, I stopped by Office Depot yesterday and bought ONE new toner cartridge for my LaserJet 4, then headed over to Whataburger. Didn't want to leave the box out in the open, so I popped the trunk. The box would not fit into the small space back there. I actually had to lift up the top a little to squeeze the box in! (Yes, I know that contradicts what I said in the opening paragraph! :) ).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I know the meaning of sports cars yet with my beautiful wife getting closer and closer to the big FIVE OH...I thought it would be nice to buy her a supercharged/turbocharged automatic Solstice when they become available....(supercharged/turbocharged because thats what I would buy and the automatic because the wife doesn't drive a manual tranny)

My concern was that she not be able to go about her daily mall shopping routine. :lol:

What can I say...thats what she does..so with unique trunk closing procedure I thought I'd ask what you guys thought after a few weeks or months of ownership...

Who knows what she'll decide to do when the time comes but if I give her the push to live irrationally when it comes to a car....I don't want her regret the trunk design closing feature...

I'm figuring the car will run a bit under 30 grand with the 250hp and automatic/leather...etc..and it might be a nice present.

Thanks again for your insight and not meant to insult any of the more sporting types...

JB

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a Toyota MR2 , which has the same amount of storage space as the Solstice, 1.4 cubic feet. That is, very little space.

The passenger Side comes in handy, and is where I carry Cargo on those rare instances. I have gotten in computers, cases of wine, 160*cm Skis, duffle bags. - although not at the same time. Once, with the top down, I even had a rented bush hog in there.

It will work out. Just think ahead as to what you really need to carry .

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Eastocean said: "The passenger Side comes in handy,"

Some people have mentioned that when they carry their garage door opener on the passenger seat, there's not much room for anything else! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
so what if we just not flip down the sails in the back when the girls are doing the errands?? other than not cool, does it really effect the top?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was out shopping today in my Solstice. I know my husband thought I wouldn't be able to shop with this car. I bought 3 outfits, had the store clerk put each one in a separate bag. It worked! I was able to cram them in as separate items, but they wouldn't have fit in one bag. Just make sure your purchases are flexible!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
MODERATOR, MODERATOR: can we get a post delete over here?

She's giving out confidential information.

DELETE DELETE DELETE! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts