Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Others may be doing this, but I haven't seen it posted. This is the way I put my top up after a drive or when I leave semi-valuables in the car. While sitting in the driver's seat, pop the trunk. Make sure the windows are down. Reach back over your right shoulder with your right arm, hand palm up and grab the convertible top near the latch. Perform a similar maneuver with your left arm. Pull the top up into place, latch, and rollup the windows. The rest is obvious.
I don't think this is any great discovery, but this is my first roadster and I didn't think this was possible with the Solstice. There may be a minimum height for this procedure. Is anyone else doing this?

·
4,592 Posts
first I've heard of someone doing it, nice job!

·
Registered
479 Posts
im-be-sol said:
Others may be doing this, but I haven't seen it posted. This is the way I put my top up after a drive or when I leave semi-valuables in the car. While sitting in the driver's seat, pop the trunk. Make sure the windows are down. Reach back over your right shoulder with your right arm, hand palm up and grab the convertible top near the latch. Perform a similar maneuver with your left arm. Pull the top up into place, latch, and rollup the windows. The rest is obvious.
I don't think this is any great discovery, but this is my first roadster and I didn't think this was possible with the Solstice. There may be a minimum height for this procedure. Is anyone else doing this?
Good idea!

Haven't tried it yet, but I will on Sunday, supposed to warm up to 60 here, high today was 38, little chilly for top down drivin'!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yah-Hoo

Sounds good and makes a lot of sence, thanks for posting. ;)

·
4,592 Posts
what about raising the trunklid first? Does lifting the top push the trunklid open? I fairly sure when pooping the trunk, the trunklid needs to be raised manually......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Top Operation

I might try your way but at my age I can hear the bones creaking already. I think the exercise of moving around the car is a good thing anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot that step. I just give the trunk lid a light push up and it usually stays up in place. Repeat this step as necessary.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oh

:( That's right, how does that work. Can you just give it a shove up a ways before you lift the top?

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is the way I have been doing it as well, I did it the first time by getting out, but much prefer doing from inside the car as you have to get back in anyways to secue the latch

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I've done that once before, but it seems one hell of a stretch to get it! You gotta be pretty strong to pull it out from that angle too, this isn't for the old frail folks here to be trying out.

Nix and I have been perfecting the method of putting the top down at a light without getting out of the car. It does involve undoing your seatbelt and slightly getting out of your seat, but you don't have to open the door!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
TWO hands! That's the answer!

I've been doing this one-handed, and it really puts a strain on the shoulder. I'll have to give it a shot using both hands. Thanks :thumbs:

Either way, it is a bit of a time-saver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hold it! I know I'm an Okie, but did I miss something here? If you're in the car, and reach back and pull the top up, and fasten it, don't you still have to get out and fasten the side wings, and close the trunk lid? If so , whats the advantage to putting your body though this contortion? Kinda makes you say hummmmmm. But then again, I'm 5"5"and would never be able to make the
reach anyway.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Well, this saves you having to get out of the car TWICE, since you don't have to get back in to latch the header latch and roll up the windows.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Don't know why I haven't posted this but this is how I put my top up. I guess great minds think alike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Top Ops

Well it's sure food for thought. I guess I'll try it but I am going to put my chiropracter on alert first! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts