Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the cloth seats? I live in texas where leather would burn me to the soul, so I ordered the cloth. I also have a sweet girl whose claws would puncture the leather. My bassett will look good in this car. lol. I have yet to see or hear anything about the cloth. Please post if you have seen anything or will also get cloth.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Haven't seen the cloth, but that is what we got. I agree the leather could get hot and we just like cloth better, each to their own. We ordered Mysterious, and thought the cloth wilth the gray weave would look nice. Hope so anyway. Good luck with your choice!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Only the little swatch online. No sign of cloth yet in real life.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too will go with the cloth. I live in the southeast, and when its 90 and humid you'll stick to those seats with the top down. And just think about how hot they will be when you get in! Ouch.

·
Registered
753 Posts
the cloth looks nice. it looks like a subtle pattern inset with solid on the bolsters and head rest. i wish i had the chance to see the real thing.. i might have ordered it instead of leather and saved a few $$.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
cdb said:
the cloth looks nice. it looks like a subtle pattern inset with solid on the bolsters and head rest. i wish i had the chance to see the real thing.. i might have ordered it instead of leather and saved a few $$.
Since actual production has not begun, you should be able to change your order, if you really want to. Check with your dealer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Why not both?

I really like the Premium Package (leather wrap steering, shift knob, and radio controls) and the leather seats, but agree black leather in 90+ degree weather is burning hot. I would consider buying the cloth seat(s) as an option to help with the heat in the summer, and change back to the leather in the cooler months.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Delnari said:
I really like the Premium Package (leather wrap steering, shift knob, and radio controls) and the leather seats, but agree black leather in 90+ degree weather is burning hot. I would consider buying the cloth seat(s) as an option to help with the heat in the summer, and change back to the leather in the cooler months.
It would have been nice if GM made the rest of the premium package equipment available without leather seats.

·
Registered
79 Posts
wet leather - ugh!

Consider one other thing about leather... If you really use your convertible and keep the top down as often as possible, its only a matter of time until those beautifully contoured seats become "bucket" seats ! Cloth seats dry out faster and arn't ruined by water. Let's hope that Pontiac knows the correct foam materials to use on seats that are likely to get very wet! Honda sure got it right way back in 1994 with the Del Sol.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I agree. Leather wrapped steering wheels and radio controls are cool, but leather in the South is a death sentence for your legs.

What are us cloth lovers to do? Why do car companies assume that leather is better than cloth? I always associate leather with vinal. Hot and shiny.

A leather wrapped steering wheel and shift nob should be standard for any "sports" car. Please please Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I ordered leather becuase I love the colors with the Sly car. My question is do they hold their shape? As I looked at the photos from the plant show the seats are already out of shape and saggy where people have sat in them. They are realtively new. How will they look in a few years? Does leather stretch fast?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I went with cloth because eventually I'd like to have them redone to be black and red. Kinda like the MBRP concept here;
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38564&postcount=1

I was also debating waiting fo the Sky to come out and see if it uses the same seat design as the Solstice and get a pair of the red/black seats for it.

So I dind't want to waste money now on something I was planning on replacing. Same with the wheels. Eventually I want to replace them, so no point wasting extra money on them now.

·
4,592 Posts
I was a die-hard supporter of cloth over leather. I live in hot so calif desert, thought leather would be too hot like vinyl seats I've had in the past. I also argued that cloth holds better for the twisties.

I now own two roadsters, one with cloth, one with leather. I still believe the above is true, but by far less than was my initial belief. In the leather MSM both points are almost mute in the leather. If I had to argue, cloth would still win, by by a thin margin.

The biggest winning point for leather is:
Major ease of getting in and out of the low seating postion, and adjusting your body to a comfortabl seating position. The low seats of a roadster have you drop into it, and this is accomplished much much easier in a leather seat, try it, it is a significant factor. You drop into the seat and slide the last few inches into the seatback against the leather, this is a friction probelm in cloth. Then the pivot to get the legs in is a smooth slide vs a friction probelm again in the cloth.

I also sit higher in the leather seat. WHy, I don't know, different cushion, or firmer support from leather. Just thought I'd mention it, food for thought.

I'm a converted leather lover, so cal sun and everything. Too each his own for sure, but try them out a lot if you can before you decide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts