Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Do you have the clunk? Pick the answer that best describes your situation..

• Yes I hear the clunk and I DO have LSD option

Votes: 125 64.1%
  • No I do NOT hear the clunk and I DO have LSD option

Votes: 46 23.6%
  • Yes I hear the clunk and do NOT have the LSD option

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • No I do NOT hear the clunk and do NOT have the LSD option

Votes: 12 6.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As requested by Dori, a poll on the clunk sound while shifting and if you have limited slip diff (LSD) option?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
damn mceb, quick responding. glad I didn't go to start one right away!

·
Registered
51 Posts
A great idea to poll. Is tere anyway to poll on other specifics about the clunking, like all gears, low and high rpms?

I had mine in last week for first service, and clunking was among the items that they reviewed. In addition to the clunking, there was only 1 other item that I was concerned about - grinding noise at low speeds, in gear while turning. They fixed the latter, but I still have clunking. The solution to grinding was changing gear oil in differential (several steps here, but that's the short story). Service, by the way was excellent. I am frustrated though over this issue.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just a quick note from the Hilton Head Island gathering with the Solstice Team: They believe the clunking is related to LSD and that you can actually make it happen (so it is somewhat related to how you drive a manual). They also said it's not a performance or long-term maintenance issue at all, but because customers are concerned about it, they are looking at it to see if it can minimized or even eliminated.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Drove a black solstice at the Auto Show in Motion in Orlando yesterday and heard the clucking sound-----If I had not read it on the forum I porbably would have to realized what it was----

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The poll option for "just show me the results" is never a good idea. I just click the "results" link...

...but if you vote, once your car comes in, you can't vote later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SolsticeEnjoying said:
Just a quick note from the Hilton Head Island gathering with the Solstice Team: They believe the clunking is related to LSD and that you can actually make it happen (so it is somewhat related to how you drive a manual). They also said it's not a performance or long-term maintenance issue at all, but because customers are concerned about it, they are looking at it to see if it can minimized or even eliminated.
For my own sanity I've driven another Sol that exhibits the clunk very infrequently - not nearly as noticeable or through all the gears as mine. Same driver, different cars - one clunks, the other does not. I am not convinced that this is a driver-induced (non)-problem.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
SolsticeEnjoying said:
I would love to have one of these engineers or any others out there who claim it is "driver error" to drive my car. It will clunk no matter who drives it or how. I agree that there are ways to minimize the clunking between shifting 1st to 2nd, but what about from neutral to 1st? or 1st to reverse? or any gear to neutral? The drive line just has a ton of play in it, and because it is mounted so close to the driver, without much isolation, the driver hears every slap of the gears.

Here is the Solstice clunk challange. First go out to a Solstice with the engine off and put the car in first gear. Then take off the parking brake and get out and grab onto a rear wheel. Now rotate the rear wheel back and forth and you will hear the exact clunk we are talking about in all it's glory. Now try the exact same test with any other car or truck with a manual transmission and you will no doubt hear a similar clunk. However, I bet you that the Solstice is much louder. I have only heard a driveline clunking this loud before on old trucks with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

It very well could be just my car, I've never really had a chance to compare to other Solstices, but considering there is a poll on a forum about it, I'd have to say it's not just me. It doesn't really bother me, and I don't worry about it, but when the lame "it's your driving technique" argument comes up I do get irked. Do they have discussions about clunking while shifting on the Honda and Mazda sites? I doubt it. Come on GM, own up to the problem and don't try to pass it off on operator error. :brentil:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
AeroDave said:
I would love to have one of these engineers or any others out there who claim it is "driver error" to drive my car. It will clunk no matter who drives it or how. I agree that there are ways to minimize the clunking between shifting 1st to 2nd, but what about from neutral to 1st? or 1st to reverse? or any gear to neutral? The drive line just has a ton of play in it, and because it is mounted so close to the driver, without much isolation, the driver hears every slap of the gears.

Here is the Solstice clunk challange. First go out to a Solstice with the engine off and put the car in first gear. Then take off the parking brake and get out and grab onto a rear wheel. Now rotate the rear wheel back and forth and you will hear the exact clunk we are talking about in all it's glory. Now try the exact same test with any other car or truck with a manual transmission and you will no doubt hear a similar clunk. However, I bet you that the Solstice is much louder. I have only heard a driveline clunking this loud before on old trucks with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

It very well could be just my car, I've never really had a chance to compare to other Solstices, but considering there is a poll on a forum about it, I'd have to say it's not just me. It doesn't really bother me, and I don't worry about it, but when the lame "it's your driving technique" argument comes up I do get irked. Do they have discussions about clunking while shifting on the Honda and Mazda sites? I doubt it. Come on GM, own up to the problem and don't try to pass it off on operator error. :brentil:
Did you see the word "somewhat" in my statement? They are definitely NOT trying to pass this off as operator error - I'm sorry that I didn't make that more clear. It's just a part of this situation, which they acknowledge has different characteristics in the cars in which it is happening, and, again, something they want to resolve because it's annoying to the customers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
No "clunk" has ever been present when I'm tooling around driving LITHA.I did get a Document ID#1700396 about the "clunk" when I picked'er up 09/29/2005 .It's titled Information on Driveline Clunk Noise When Shifting Gears at Low Speeds #05-07-29-005-(Aug30,2005).Didn't everyone get this informative bulletin?? :confused: :cool:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm beginning to feel good that the order I picked up didn't have LSD, because there seems to be a pattern developing.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
stang said:
Who would have thought a car hopped up on LSD would behave erratically? :lol:
:lol: Yeah, I think they'd better change that name. I don't know if it functions exactly the same way, but in the 60's they called it positraction. Seems like it would have been called LSD in the 60's!:D

·
Registered
496 Posts
document

SATCH said:
No "clunk" has ever been present when I'm tooling around driving LITHA.I did get a Document ID#1700396 about the "clunk" when I picked'er up 09/29/2005 .It's titled Information on Driveline Clunk Noise When Shifting Gears at Low Speeds #05-07-29-005-(Aug30,2005).Didn't everyone get this informative bulletin?? :confused: :cool:
Can you scan and post it?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortimir said:
I'd rather have the LSD and clunk, than no LSD at all.
I can live without LSD. I have most of my life.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Fortimir said:
The poll option for "just show me the results" is never a good idea. I just click the "results" link...

...but if you vote, once your car comes in, you can't vote later.
:agree:

It messes up the poll, now there are the same amount of people who have LSD & clunk, as there are people who have no car at all! The percentages are way off and it becomes like many of the automag reviews. What people see when they check the poll results is that "Oh, the LSD and the clunk go together only 40% of the time, the majority must be clunking even without it!" When in actuality it's more like 65-70% that have LSD/clunk.

Fortimir said:
I'd rather have the LSD and clunk, than no LSD at all.
A-f'n-MEN!

·
Registered
753 Posts
AeroDave said:

after driving another solstice that clunked consistently, i was able to re-create the clunk in my car. i do notice an occasional clunk when driving normally ( well, normal for me) and it is usually during low energy gear changes, I.E. 1st to second at fairly low revs.
so... it's not just your car- i bet any LSD equipped solstice probably could clunk under certain circumstances. Also some cars are definately more 'clunk' prone than others. that being said, i'm not worrying about it because it is a typical solstice noise and not a sign of impending mechanical failure.
i spent over 30 hours driving the solstice this weekend... mostly with the top up. there are plenty of mechanical noises happening and i am getting used to the 'signature' sounds of a Solstice.... my favorite is the soft whine of the ( i think) the fuel pump when cruising at 85mph. the the only noise that worries me is the 'seat creeeek' when my butt is pushing sideways in the seat as the G forces build on long tight curves at speed. i hope if the seat fails it goes soon while i still have a warranty. BTW, i'm 6' & 180lb, so within a normal height /weight range i think.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dori-san said:
:agree:

It messes up the poll, now there are the same amount of people who have LSD & clunk, as there are people who have no car at all! The percentages are way off and it becomes like many of the automag reviews. What people see when they check the poll results is that "Oh, the LSD and the clunk go together only 40% of the time, the majority must be clunking even without it!" When in actuality it's more like 65-70% that have LSD/clunk.

A-f'n-MEN!
Better now ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts