Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in my quest for sanity today, I actually went to the trouble of putting the car on jackstands (which sucked, by the way... I'm used to having access to a lift) and taking down the center tunnel cover plates so I could see the driveshaft and transmission. My car is one of those that exhibits the "normal behavior" clunking.

The first thing I checked for was play in the driveshaft couplings. NONE. It seems on my car at least that most of the play is in the differential. I do hear the noise at the transmission outdrive, but I can't eliminate the possibility that it is just noise transferred through the driveshaft. I had my wife sit in the car and put the trans in different gears while I rocked the driveshaft back and forth. She says the noise it was making sounds just like the infamous "clunk." Just for peace of mind, I checked to make sure the trans and differential were filled with gear lube. They were both full.

I do have pics and video, but no time to post them right now. If anyone really wants to see them, I'll post later tonight or tomorrow.

I plan on taking the car to the dealer and letting the service manager take a listen. The way I see it, there's no sense in leaving it with them, though. All they'll do is take it out and beat on it, then come back and tell me it's "normal behavior" or "could not be duplicated." No thanks. I just want it documented. If it pukes a transmisison or differential, I hope it does so under warranty, but I want proof that it was making this noise from day 1.

Those of us who are hearing these noises need to get together and "compare clunks" somehow.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2KWK', you are DA MAN! :thumbs:

I concur with my own observations about six weeks ago. The noise is definitely coming from the differential, that seemed to be the only source of "lash".

Smart to have it documented, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts